User Tag List

Thread: Menu Problem

SitePoint Evangelist lance_vincent's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Menu Problem

Hi guys! before i give you the uploaded copy of the menu, id like to do a bit of storytelling about our very unlucky experience with freelancers..

its already our 3rd freelancer experience doing the same menu, with no luck. all we wanted is a 3 level menu with the second menu scrolling so it doesn't take up a lot of space.

we stated clearly that we wanted the menu not stolen, and preferably done from scratch, but again, he (the freelancer) just tried to fool us by saying he did code it from scratch but even a grade school could tell it was edited/stolen. anyway, he came up with a menu, stealing the whole css from his source website, and when we apply it to our site, it overrides our own css, the menu isn't cross browser, etc, and he run off with the bounty.

If you may visit the link http://www.gabaynigorio.com/gpg2/samplemenu/ there is a link "Select Country" on the middle, it launches a continent list, then a country list which would scroll, and a 3rd level menu (list of pages available for that country).

In Firefox it sorts of work OK, except when you scroll on a country list downwards, when you reach the last country, the upwards scroll doesn't work. In IE7, well, just give a look. Haven't tried it on IE6, (can you have both IE6 and IE7 on the same machine by the way?)

If you can tell us what to do about our problem, or if you can try to work on it to see what the problem is, it will be very appreciated, as we have been very frustrated about this problem for the longest time.

Many Thanks and Godbless!
    If you won't dress like the
    Victoria Secret girls,
    don't expect us to act like soap opera guys.

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got it to screen in IE7. The menu appeared to be functioning ok, however I couldnt click or select anything, then it threw a JS error to which my screen froze and I got stuck with the ETV (egg timer virus)

RJ

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh hang on, yes thats lovely. It just crashed my browser.

RJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi RJ!

how come it crashes your browser? what happens on my IE7 is that the country list overflaws the container menu, therefore i cant test the scroll.

also, i think that majority of the error lies in alului.css and most specially lpWorldguide.css, since the INDIAN freelancer copied the whole css from his source website, not just the needed classes for the menu, so it overlaps and ruins our existing css, etc.

I hope guys dont get discourage opening the link.

Thanks RJ for trying!
    Victoria Secret girls,

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks like far too much trouble than it's worth. How am I supposed to know that I'm meant to hover over that text saying "Select country". And after that, how am I supposed to know that I'm supposed to hover over the top or bottom of the box to make it scroll? Moreover, it cannot be used without a mouse (i.e. you can't tab to it or use your keyboard keys with it) and the scrolling effect is somewhat annoying.

Using a <select> box would make much more sense:
    • It makes more semantic sense. You're selecting a country after all.
    • It doesn't require javascript at all, or maybe a tiny little bit if you want to make the select boxes linked (so first you click on your area, then you pick your country in a second select box that contains the countries in that area). In any case, you can make it degrade gracefully so that users with javascript off can still submit a form.
    • It's more accessible
    • It's instantly recognisable. People know what to do with it.
    • It's not potentially annoying. If it annoys someone, then they have a problem with <select> dropdowns, not with your website.
    • It will likely be less of a headache to make cross-browser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    This looks like far too much trouble than it's worth. How am I supposed to know that I'm meant to hover over that text saying "Select country". And after that, how am I supposed to know that I'm supposed to hover over the top or bottom of the box to make it scroll? Moreover, it cannot be used without a mouse (i.e. you can't tab to it or use your keyboard keys with it) and the scrolling effect is somewhat annoying.

Using a <select> box would make much more sense:
    • It makes more semantic sense. You're selecting a country after all.
    • It doesn't require javascript at all, or maybe a tiny little bit if you want to make the select boxes linked (so first you click on your area, then you pick your country in a second select box that contains the countries in that area). In any case, you can make it degrade gracefully so that users with javascript off can still submit a form.
    • It's more accessible
    • It's instantly recognisable. People know what to do with it.
    • It's not potentially annoying. If it annoys someone, then they have a problem with <select> dropdowns, not with your website.
    • It will likely be less of a headache to make cross-browser
    Thanks raffles for your idea! I was all in favor of the classic select box in the first place, but then I'm not the only one in the room who says "WHOOAAAA" with flashy menus. Ill try to convince them with your words though.
    Victoria Secret girls,

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck. If you want to figure out how to make connected select boxes, I like this one: http://icant.co.uk/sandbox/multilevel.html