SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mac OSX - How to burn a DVD in movie format?

Hi there,

I have a Mpeg4 file on my mac which I want to play on my dvd player etc, but am having problems with the DVD recognizing and being able to play the burnt disc; currently the DVD player status just reads, 'cannot play disc'.

I am pretty new to Macs, and have been using the only method I know, which is inserting a blank DVD and drag files onto the disk using Finder. I guess the default is data format using this method, but is there a way on a Mac, using some built-in software that means I can select movie format when I've burning so that my player can recognize the disc?

Thanks for the help guys

James

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first question would be does your DVD Player support multiple video formats? (mpg, avi, divx, wmv etc)

Have you tried doing the same from a PC and does it work?

My suspicion however would be that your DVD Player does not support these formats and you will have to encode the file to a standard DVD (video_TS) format first. This can be done with the iLife app iDVD, Roxio Toast or a couple of shareware/freeware apps.

Note that this can be a long process, iDVD especially can take its time encoding the files (think several hours).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iDVD is the only software built in that can do this but as Default says it can take some time doing so.

You can buy software for the mac that allows for more advanced burning and encoding options. http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/to.../overview.html its a bit expensive though.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is how i've managed to convert various movies with varying degrees of success to dvds for a tv player: use ffmpegx to convert the movie using its DVD mpeg2enc setting, then use toast: drop m2v file from ffmpeg into toast's video pane, and if you play your cards right, toast only muxes the sound and video together (which doesn't take too long) and doesn't go through some massive long winded conversion. ffmpegx has a forum which i found very useful when trying to do the part which makes toast accept the movie files as is, rather than going its long winded conversion.

i said "with varying degrees of success". on some movies, i think only so far, wmv format (some not all), i've got audio/video sync problems. also another particular avi movie ffmpegx isn't able to deal with, but most avis have been fine (i think this particular one is either damaged or is some odd version of avi)