SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kicked out of B-school, now what?

Hi everyone,

So, come December, I will be permanently suspended my my university's business school. I received a temporary suspension after failing Managerial Accounting. In order to come out of suspension, I had to raise my b-school GPA by the end of this semester, which I haven't been able to do.

My major was Business Administration with an emphasis in Computer Information Systems.

So, I now have a couple choices ahead of me:

* I can stay at this university and major in Applied Statistics or Economics. I'm interested in both of these topics. However, I'm leaning more towards Stats.

* I can transfer to another university and Major in Computer Information Systems or straight Computer Science. I would prefer sticking with straight CS, but this major would require an additional year to complete.

Had I been able to raise my GPA, I would have graduated in December of 2008. However, it's now looking like I won't graduate until May of 2010. Considering that I graduated from high school in 2002, I'm feeling a bit ashamed of myself. I -did- spend two years in Japan - one as a foreign exchange student, and one as an English teacher. But still, it will have effectively taken me 6 years to graduate. Aren't those called Doctors?

I'm a programmer. C/C++, Assembly, and Python are my best friends. When it comes to finding a job, should I be concerned about not have a CS degree if I decide to major in Applied Statistics or Economics?

Thanks for the help.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do what you enjoy the most, not what will bring you a job easily. All of the majors you described will be fine in the job market.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much job experience do you have?

I've found that after a few years in the job market, your degree becomes less and less relevant. I don't currently have any degree (I almost have an Econ degree though - who knows when I'll finish it) and I haven't found the lack of a degree in CS to be an impediment.

I work in a large development shop, and while a fair amount of programmers have CS degrees (even Masters and a few PhDs), a lot of people have non-CS degrees or no degree at all. Two of the best and most respected developers in our organization have no degree at all! That isn't to say I don't sometimes wish I had gone ahead and earned a CS degree, but I don't think it is generally a huge problem if you don't have one - if you work hard, learn stuff on your own quickly, and are good at what you do.
    Spencer Uresk
    Rails App Hosting
    Cheap Hosting - Directory of hosting plans under $10/month!
    My blog: Tech and Java Articles

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus prime View Post
    Had I been able to raise my GPA, I would have graduated in December of 2008. However, it's now looking like I won't graduate until May of 2010. Considering that I graduated from high school in 2002, I'm feeling a bit ashamed of myself. I -did- spend two years in Japan - one as a foreign exchange student, and one as an English teacher. But still, it will have effectively taken me 6 years to graduate. Aren't those called Doctors?

I'm a programmer. C/C++, Assembly, and Python are my best friends. When it comes to finding a job, should I be concerned about not have a CS degree if I decide to major in Applied Statistics or Economics?

Thanks for the help.
    Do not be ashamed that you have done things that are worthwhile to you. I know a few people who have spent longer trying to get a degree and switching majors frequently with dedication to none. These people should be ashamed perhaps but in your case no. If you already know how to program well then I do not see any barrier to you getting a job in the field. The only problem may be that if it is a requiste that a CS degree is required, then you may have to start small within an organisation and work your way up and through.

If you stick with stats/economics then there's probably a niche area you can find to exploit with both skill sets. For this reason I would encourage you to continue doing what you can at present with the aim of always having two options. It would be harder to get a job in your degree field if you were not properly qualified- but in the IT world it appears experience and knowledge are equally as important as a certificate. Keep your options as broad as you can while working towards doing what you love the most

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A statistics or economics degree could open more doors then comp sci. both of them would also be a good thing. Just buckle down and concentrate you'll be fine.
    Back Again