SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK.

But can your mother afford Ultimate, Business or Enterprise Vista in order to have this?
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    Arthur C. Clarke

.* draziW tnioPetiS *. bronze trophy
    "Then I figure the most good good guy will win."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmullins_webdev View Post
    You can get a great mac for around $1000.00 and also if you just need it for the basics you can get a mac mini for $600.

For a good computer I think $1000 is a fair price.
    I bought my PC about 1.5 years ago now... Dell laptop with 17" monitor and a bunch of extras... At that time, the high-end Macs ($3000 - $3500 range) were about 500$ more expensive when compared to a comparable PC.

I am sure a $1000 Mac is great, but it all depends on what you want to do with it. For example, IMHO, video editing would require a more expensive Mac.

Do not get me wrong, I am a Mac person... I been using/owning them since OS7.x... But I would love to have the option of installing OSX on a PC.

Of course, I have my issues with PC's too... I think they both have problems.

I do love the iMac that I use at work though.

Edit:

The last computer I used at work was a Mac Mini... I was not super-impressed... I mean, you get what you pay for I guess.
    Last edited by mhulse; Nov 23, 2007 at 16:50.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Backing up to the same physical hard drive is a bad idea. While that might help against viruses, you are now twice as vulnerable to hardware failure. Backups really need to be off the devices and preferably offsite for anything of cruical importance.

Shadow Volume Copy was a service introduced on 2003 server to allow one to backup live drives. Vista might use it for its system restore functionality, but is a far different beast from the old system restore.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_D View Post
    OK.

But can your mother afford Ultimate, Business or Enterprise Vista in order to have this?
    No but I already have Vista Home Premium licenses that she can have as well as XP Pro.

Also I did look at a MacBook for my mother, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 250GB HDD, came out to be $1,549.
    I then went to dell. I picked out a 15 inch HD Widescreen (1680x1050), same CPU same ram same HDD, 256MB Nividia GeForce 8600M GT, and a 85Whr 9-cell battery, come our be $1,549.

Bigger screen, better graphic performance and a longer lasting battery.
    You can see what I'll be getting my mother. More bang for her money.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    Backing up to the same physical hard drive is a bad idea. While that might help against viruses, you are now twice as vulnerable to hardware failure. Backups really need to be off the devices and preferably offsite for anything of cruical importance.
    It is a double edge sword, where both fail we need one that does both on the same HDD and external. If you don't have an external and you need to restore to a previous version you cannot using Leopard. It is a win lose situation.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.