SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Feedback for Necrotania.com

Site: http://www.necrotania.com

The World of Necrotania is a Fantasy and Science Fiction writing community that I have been running since around 2002. Back then it was just a few simple HTML pages for me to host my own stories. Now it has evolved into quite the community.

A bit about the back-end of the system. The story section is run on eFiction. It is a story archive script designed for Fan Fiction, but it make a great general writing archive as well. The user database and community sections are handled by vBulletin, connected to eFiction using a custom bridge that I wrote just for the site. It provides a single sign-in for all areas of the site as well as shared templates to maintain the look for all areas.

vBAdvanced is used for the front page, with a ton of custom mods for story posting. The user profiles in vBulletin are also heavily modified to provide information from eFiction.

I would love to hear what people think of the site and any areas that could be improved. Like most web pages it is an eternal work in progress

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work, but I didn't like the theme you're using that much, it didn't get me to feel what this website is about (creative, Writing , fiction). and why the "Games" link is in a separate line than other top navigation links.

You have some really good content there, really great for fiction writing fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "Games" link is a sponsor system I am trying out. So far I only have 1 buyer, so I am not sure if it is worth having it or not yet.

Thanks for the feedback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site looks a little too 'forum'ish' IMO. It needs more white space to seperate the content out as it's a bit too busy at the moment.

I'd also lighten the text background and the text itself a pinch. Black writing is quite intense to read, I'd aim for something like #333 to #666.

where you can read works from our member.
    I think you meant to say ...

where you can read works from our members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice catch on the typo, I will get that cleaned up.

I am not sure what you mean by it being to "Forumish". I wanted to provide a familiar interface for the site, so I kept as much of the forum system intact as I could. Do you think this was the wrong decision?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you visit a site, the first thing you normally see is the home page. If this is a forum, then it's not necessarily such a bad thing to launch people straight into your main index page as that's generally the most important page ... however this isn't what you are doing here. You are taking them to a landing page. If it's a landing page, I would prefer to visit something simpler, with the most important things highlighted so I know what the site is about and where in the site I want to go.

Your current home page was quite confusing for me until I had a dig round and figured out what the site was about. If I found a site like that via Google I would hit the back button immediately and find a site which I didn't need to put any effort into to find out what the site is and what is on it.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you do not mind me asking some followup questions to try and understand what is not working on the portal page.

I had added the welcome message to explain what the site was about. Is this not working well or do you think it is just adding to the clutter?

Also, it the page being cluttered more of a issue with the amount of content, spacing, or is the entire layout flawed?

My goal with the front page was to both provide an inviting entrance area for new members and to give existing members a one-stop place to get updates and such that they would be interested in. Based on your comments I am beginning to wonder if combining these two functions is causing more problems than I expected.

Thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calash View Post
    I hope you do not mind me asking some followup questions to try and understand what is not working on the portal page.
    Not a problem, happy to help.

I had added the welcome message to explain what the site was about. Is this not working well or do you think it is just adding to the clutter?
    I think you need less, not more stuff on your landing page. Users should be able to find what they need without the need for a welcome message.

Also, it the page being cluttered more of a issue with the amount of content, spacing, or is the entire layout flawed?
    The amount of content is too high which is making it cluttered. If you have less content, you can afford to space it out more and make it more visually appealing/easy to navigate.

My goal with the front page was to both provide an inviting entrance area for new members and to give existing members a one-stop place to get updates and such that they would be interested in. Based on your comments I am beginning to wonder if combining these two functions is causing more problems than I expected.
    Yeah, I ran into a similar problem a while back with a site of mine. Eventually I realised it was getting messy and I'm in the process of simplifying things at the moment. Remember, you don't need to provide ALL of the information to your users on one page, they can (and won't mind) having to click links to get to the specific information that they want.

Ryan,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes sense, thanks

Now, the next question is if I can remedy this within the confines of vBadvanced, or if I am going to have to get something a but more custom.

I will take a look and see what can be done in the system first

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm..great site.I just think that you should display at least one banner for link exchanging purpose in your "link to us" page.Make it really beautiful to attract links.Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about that....that page is still being worked on. I will try to get something in there shortly.

I edited the portal page a bit, removed the Welcome Message and Tips area (Tips show to registered members, Welcome to guests). I also adjusted the layout and put the most important info at the top left, the recent story list.