User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second review of my web 2.0 site

Hello,

I would like to submit my site TagCollect.com for a second review.

I first submitted this site for review in May of this year. I received lots of great suggestions from that review, and I incorporated all of those comments into this latest version of my site. I've also come up with a lot of new features that I think will be useful to the Internet community.

I would appreciate any feedback that you have, and I would especially like to encourage folks to subscribe to my site and become active users for at least a period of time. There's a lot of hand-written software that drives this site, and regular usage will help to identify any software glitches that may arise.

Obviously there's missing items like SEO and RSS feeds. But those will be added very soon.

Thanks again for your helpful comments.

Here's a brief overview of my site.

TagCollect is a community of tagged collections

A collection can be about anything that you can think of. You can create a collection about your favorite music, movies, or TV show.

It can be about people, places, gadgets, news stories, or any other thing that you can think of.

What can I put in my collection

Anything that's related to your collection. Pictures, videos, web sites, music, people, places, etc. Upload them yourself, or use TagCollect's search engine to locate them on the internet. You can even add other collections to a collection.

You can keep your collection private, make it available to your TagCollect friends, or use the "invitation only" option and invite others to join your collection.

If you feel that your collection benefits the entire TagCollect community, you can publish your collection to a TagCollect category.

Blog it, tag it, and allow others to comment about it.

In short, everything can made into a collection.
    semEsocial.com - Turn your email into an active social network

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE 6.0
    Win XP SP2

You have an excellent Logo there, though it ends up feeling slightly bland with all the blue on blue. The layout of the header is quite good, but the buttons at the top right feel out of place

As for the rest of the page, there is something about it that feels off, but I am not sure what it is at this point. It is like the content is not connected to the header at all except for being on the same page.

For concept, it feels like another social bookmarking site, but more focused on tagging and collections. This was all explained on the front page so there was little need to hunt for what the site was about.

Good Job so far

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks calash for your feedback.

Actually I would like to change the logo. But I want to make sure that the site's functionality is correct before I start spending money for another logo.

In regards to the buttons at the top right of the header. I have a search box at the top, because I want search to be a somewhat valuable feature of the site. Seems like a search box needs some type of button to start the search. Although I guess I could have used some type of graphic next to the box (like a magnifying glass). In regards to the "My Collection" button; I felt that people may want to easily go to their personal collection. So I thought that a button at the top of the page, would allow them to easily do that from anywhere in the web site. Perhaps I could drop the signin/signout button and make it a link instead. As I feel like most people won't use that button very much.

In regards to the content on the right of the page. I wanted to show that when you're looking at news articles (for example), that you'll also find popular news articles in computers, news, science, etc. Perhaps I need to drop this section, since it tends to clutter the main categories.

In regards to the tag section. I wanted to do more that just, put up a tag cloud. I wanted to show the most popular tag, and the most popular item in that tag set. For example, if I'm in the video section, what's the most popular video tag, and what's the most popular video within that tag. Hope that makes sense. What I'm trying to do is get people to explore.

I want to make the site more than "just another social bookmarking site". There is social bookmarking, but there's also "social search". When I use the site, I get a lot of value from the "TagCollect This!" button that I added to my browser toolbar. As I cruise around the Internet and find an interesting video or news story, I can easily hit that "TagCollect This!" button and tag the site, add it a private collection, or just mark that it's a good, bad, or ugly site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tag Collect Review

Firefox 2.0.0.9
    XP SP2

My first impression is that it's REALLY busy.

I would place the explanation of what tag collect is somewhere with a higher heat map. I had to hunt to find what it is that your site does. (ok I'm a big fan of these so what?!? =)
    Google Heat Maps-
    https://www.google.com/adsense/suppo...y?answer=17954

Your Terms state copyright 2006, not 2007, which means you should probably put it in an include or something so that it gets updated across the site (I didn't find it wrong in other places but it'll be 2008 soon)

The sign in/my collection/search were all the way to the right, and it looked odd. Unless you add advertising between it and the logo I would put them closer to the logo.

If you plan to drive site traffic up by using the tag collect browser button I would also place it somewhere more prominent.

Otherwise I found the site had interesting articles, good luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks OmanLegend for your comments.

I made the changes that you suggested.

Now I'm just wondering, what changes do I have to make, in order to get people to use my site on a daily basis?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some pointers
    - The font used for the categories (IE Arts, Business, Computers) etc. looks very plain because you are using the default blue link color
    - Their is some funny spacing going on, the News and Reference categories have a big gap below and above them, respectively
    - The logo needs reworking, jpg compression is clearly visible

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site, a lot of white space (on my monitor anyway). and the blue kind of blands in with one another, no real contrast happening that draws the eye.

Nice site though

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm viewing on a 22" monitor at 1680x1050 and the layout breaks quite badly, what monitors/resolutions have you tested your site on? It becomes really disorganized.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the functionality of it and think that it definitely has potential. Something about the graphics side is slacking though I think. I think it needs to look a little sharper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -It may be a web 2.0 site, but it doesn't look very web 2.0
    -Logo is boring and doesn't stand out
    -Too much white space that could be put to use
    -The colors really don't work well together
    -I don't recommend the stretch feature when you maximize the page
    -It is a good idea for a website, but it needs to be developed more

Best of luck to you

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To much white space,
    It looks like stuf is randomly placed on the page and dose not flow verry nicely, try to working on formatting/layout of the main page.

I would take the links on the left and put it in two or three columns, would be easier to navigate and makre the page flow better

-Shiftline

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site doesn't look too busy to me, but the layout does feel disjointed. Some parts fit like glue, while others have awkward disproportional white space like Categories. Separate those categories into several columns, and wait until content is filled out for all of them if you want to feature images and articles for each category.

Same goes for the "TagCollect Contains" section. It's only filling out one half of the space reserved. You should consider making a list of the recent submissions for each of these things.

The logo doesn't quite stand out, as it's too small and the colors used will go better against a white background and not a this shade of blue. It's a bit too dark for the background. The overall blue-and-green color scheme is okay but also makes it feel too d***-like and thus it's where I start making a few comparisons to. It's not a bad start, but you are missing out on a nice first impression.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The content looks a bit scattered... Make some more structure is needed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site!
    Like a few people mentioned I would add that the white "space" is a bit too much.
    Also, do change the fonts, piece of cake with CSS. The proble is to find something that goes well with the nature of the site. The current font feels like it's "taking away" from the Web 2.0 feel.

Almost there !!