User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review mortgage website

Hi

I'd really appreciate it if you could you review my mortgage website.

you can find it here Best Buy Mortgages

I created this for a company to try and generate UK Mortgage Leads. The site should provide information for the customers on mortgages and allow them to fill in an online enquiry form. (don't fill it in unless you want a call about a mortgage as this is a live site).

This is the first website i have created so i am open to critisism of both the look and feel of the design and also technical aspects of the design.

I'd also be interested in any comments people may have on the SEO aspects of the site and what can be done to improve it. As this is the first website i've created i'm obvoiusly new to this field.

i look forward to your comments.

Thanks in advance

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a nice looking site. Nice colours that complement eachother. One thing is that you have not specified a document type, so the site won't valiate to W3C standards.

I also think you are slightly overdoing the title tags. Try shortening them to concentrate on one type of deal per page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with ben_uk and it is a nice looking site. That is a lot of text for a homepage. You might want to break things up and make it maybe more appealing to first time visitors.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments guys. thats really encouraging.

i'm afraid i wasn't aware of document types. i'll read up on it and get that sorted. thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Yeah i was looking at the front page myself the other day and agree it does look a little long as you say. i was gonna cut it down a bit but was scared it may have a negative effect on my ranking in search engines as it contains quite a few keywords. Do you think this could be a problem? (not that i rank very highley yet anyway).

Same with the title tags i guess i was just a little overzealeous as its the first time i've dabbled in this stuff. will shortening them have a negative effect on ranking?

Thanks again guys for taking the time to review my site. its much appreciated.

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definitely lower the amount of text you have on the home page. Users, I believe are drawn visually, and you have a huge amount of text there. Not sure Id bother reading it.

RJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is really great for your first website, what would you be doing after on or two years ?

I think the white in the navigation bar doesn't work, it is hard to read, maybe try to make the background or the font color darker.

You're using tables for layout, which I don't like. and you should really reduce the amount of content on first page, choose the most important parts to keep.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Buy Mortgage Review

I don't have a lot of feedback, here are the things that I noticed:

"Best Buy Mortgages are a leading UK Mortgage Broker. " I believe this should be "Best Buy Mortgages is a leading...."

If your objective is to get leads, I would increase the size of the application form text, or make it more prominent. If your sending people to your site with advertisements you might look at the conversion rates based on where you place the application form and how big you make it.

I would personally place text for the form in a hot spot based on google's heat maps. (https://www.google.com/adsense/suppo...y?answer=17954)

"So why not join the hundreds of people that already use our free service every month to find the best mortgage for their needs."

Shouldn't this end in a question mark?

Overall I like the site design and I think you've done a good job getting the other aspects of selling it inline. Good luck with your site!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for the reviews guys.

i think i 've got quite a bit of tidying up and improving of the site to steadily work through.

i know i've used tables to layout the design as i found it easier as it was my first website. what would you use for an alternative CSS?

Thanks again guys its really good to here other peoples view on the site and how it can be improved.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For your first website excellent job! I agree with less text on homepage. I also would suggest different color instead of the left gray area.

Second things is the photo. I see that you blurred the sides of the photo, but I would suggest only blurring the left side while bottom of the photo should connect with the menu bellow (no white space between photo and the menu).

The third this changing background color of the menu. It is hard to read white text on light green color. I think my main suggestion would be that your website needs more darker colors, but that could be my personal view.
    CUBE SCRIPTS MEDIA
    REAL ESTATE SCRIPT 2.0 | Software for Real Estate Agencies

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your comments.

i've been away working on another project so have not had time to do any updates on the site but i plan to start working on it again shortly. So just wanted to say thanks for your input.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow ... I have to definitely agree with some of the comments before mine ... the amount of text on the front page is overwhelming ...

Ironically ... I think your site really helps me realize how much MY site has the same problem!! I am in the midst of a site redesign based on some feedback I had gotten on another forum ...

I think I am going to try to work things into more of a non-scrolling design ... with linked pages ... as a lot of feedback that I have gotten seems to indicate that people get to the site and do not have enough patience to get through all the text ... the links ... etc. ...

I would think your site could possibly benefit from the same approach ... boil down the front page to only necessary text to "capture" someone's interest ... forcing them in some respects to delve a little deeper ... via links ... menus ... whatever ...

As usual ... just my opinion ... your "mileage may vary" ... (smile) ...
    Join Our Nationwide Team Today!!
    Your own FREE website and email - jump start YOUR business!!

Honey I Shrunk Our Mortgage™!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks really professional!
    great job!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

thanks for your comments

yeah i'm definatly gonna cut down the text on the front page. i think when i was first designing it i was trying to put relivant information in and keyword rich text but overdid it a bit.

What kind of impact do you think it may have by reducinmg keywords rtext on index page to SEO? does it not make much difference as the other pages in the site will contain the same information?

Thanks

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another fixed-width site. Flavour of the month? The name is poor with the hyphens.

The site is too wordy. Needs to be clean, quick and snappy.

Technically it's an excellent piece of work, especially for a first site.

Best wishes.
    Charles Sweeney
    FormToEmail.com