SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a clients perspective (well the ones I deal with), the most important thing is the 'added value' - your ability to work with the client and improve there offering, going above and beyond there needs based on your experience and in-depth knowledge of them and there requirements. This comes from long term relationships with the client and you can not outsource relationships (unless it’s you doing it ). Therefore competing against cost should be quite easy, as the cheaper option will just answer the brief, where as you can surpass the brief based on your experience.

Si

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just explain how the webdesign industry is like any other, if you pay peanuts that's what you'll get. People always seem to think that everything on the web comes cheap, I guess due to the comparatively lower overheads that businesses have compared to other industries. However, expertise comes at a price. Perhaps you should refer them to some articles on the matter (I'm sure I've read a few very good ones in the past explaining why it's better to pay more and get more)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many sides of this story ...

Cheap doesn't always mean bad. In my country a 500 USD site design is already quite "steep" for some. We have a 200 USD minimum wage, so you can understand the fact the USD has MORE value to us than to you people with a more decent wage.

This means that I could make a good site design with 500 USD and not 2000 or more as it would be the normal price in the USA (or similar). This doesn't mean my sites are bad, it means that in my country I cannot ask for an arm and leg and I wouldn't ask you for thousands of USD either (maybe because I am stupid).

On the other hand .. working with a person who's thousands of miles away can be hard. I had clients from the US too and it was OK, you can work this out nicely, but most of the time people would like working with designers in their area.

As for the freelancers and people with low prices .. it's another story again ..

Normally, as a newly created firm, I'd say that freelancers are bad, they ask for petty prices for bad jobs, and the serious designers are in a firm or have one. But on the other hand, 6 months ago I was a freelancer myself and I was VERY GOOD. I was already thinking about getting my own business and testing the waters. I did have lower prices, since I didn't have all the costs involved with a firm, but I was very good. Not being on a firm didn't mean I am an idiot, I was just thinking too much about this ..

Now I do have a firm of my own and still some small prices. They have increased lately, but are still smaller from other firms' .. I am still looking at the best price/quality proportion. I don't want to work for free, but I don't want to scare too many clients with huge prices, especially since in my country my services are already steep.

Some might say I am a bad designer with such a small price. I am just still looking at a way to sell the best of me ..

Getting back to the topic.

I do not work for less money that i requested. I don't haggle. I don't undersell myself. I had clients who paid 100 USD for a stolen Template Monster layout and thought it's cool. Then they realized the site doesn't show in google at all and contacted me. I asked for 3 times the price they paid, but for a UNIQUE professional design, a good SEO work on the site .. We were still developing the site, when she called me to tell me how happy she is: the site showed in google in a very good position for her keywords.

In the end I think each client deserves his designer. Those who don't like my price can have another one work for them. It can be a good job or a bad job, I don't care. I don't consume my neurons with their issues. My clients are happy, that's what matters. They refer me to others and the business is blooming

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Tell your client to seek proof that the designer is really from India or Singapore or wherever. It's not only about price. Face it, it's "cool" to tell your friends that you outsourced to wherever and are doing the hip thing. So, tell them to ask for proof to make sure it's not just some 12 year old in Chicago giving them a deep discount. Don't you think that designers and developers all over the U.S. are making elance and rentacoder postings "posing" as living in another country? There are some desperate dudes out there looking for work, y'know?

At least with you, your client knows what they're getting. Big selling point there."

Yes, I forgot about this. Very good point. In fact I've discovered by myself that it's true in some cases

dojo, but do you refuse if you get paid more than $500 for website ? I think no. As for minimum wage, it's more like $300 now. Both our countries are very similar in that And to be real to make decent living if you renting a flat $1k per month sounds more reasonable. If you want just any car then even more, if you have a family more as well. If official min wage is few hundreds it doesn't mean people can live off that. To rent 1 room (not flat!!!) costs something like $150 a month. Go figure.

However if someone wants just food and rent, then $500 would be ok. But that's not what I call living. I am not a slave.