SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist kooshin.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How To Name Your Blog?

hi, I have been looking around and I found out that many people name their blogs as blog, or name of the blog owner and the ursl normally being like this
    www.sitename/blog .

So I wondered what is the best way to name your blog.I recently opened a blog and i just named it like articles.sitename.com since I made it in a subdomain. Of course I write many different things which are not just articles so I then said maybe you should get a diferent name and since i talk about a number of things such as web design, seo, marketing, web hosting, football, general and mainly EPL,SERIE A, Argentina legue, bandesliga, etc.

I couldn't find a name that can fit all those things into one place since articles is a little bit bigger word i guess and it can't gather all of these things.

so how do you name your blog? And what are the things you should consider before naming your blog? Of course I didn't update it for a while and I'm thinking of re-building it from scratch again.

Share your ideas plz

thanks,

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    First of all, I think that blogs that try to cover too many topics won't be able to get and keep subscribers. It's not an answer to your questions, but I think you might be better off having a business blog and a 'hobby' or 'personal' blog. Keep the tech stuff in one and your personal interests in the other.

In answer to your question, just choose a name you like. "Kooshin Web Dev Blog" or "Kooshin Web Tech Blog" or just forget the "blog". (Just suggestions!)
    or "Kooshin - My World".

It's how you promote your blog through becoming active in blog forums and social bookmarking sites that will generate the traffic as well as the backlinks you need for the search engines.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi thanks for your answer. I think you are right but then again I thought that maybe it can be a big source as I will be able to write about many things as I mentioned in the first post. So since I now have articles.sitename.com , then I guess that name is not that good even though it is already into the search engines.

So do you recommend me using such url? While the title might be different such as the titles you gave as an example.

Thanks in advance.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I've had the domain name shyflower.com since 2002 but my business is ... well in my signature. Of course it helps to have the domain name that goes with your business, but it's all in how you promote your business that really matters.

Folks will generally access your site either through a search engine query or at a social bookmarking site where your content is popular. If they want to come back, most of them will bookmark it either in their browser favorites or social bookmarking favorites. So, if you have a domain, don't worry so much about it's name. Worry more about what's in your page title and what's on your page.

The hard to type urls are becoming less and less important to the internet. As far as I see, their major importance is to give your pages a little extra push in the search engines. If your site is already indexed, IMO, they are of little importance.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great then I will stick to what I have but develop it. Thanks for your comments you've been very helpful

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that blogs should be focused on one thing or another...but if its your personal blog and your readers are expecting a diverse range of topics, then its fine. When blogging, as a general rule, I try to use popular search phrases in the title to get more search traffic. Also using longer titles I find works well pulling in visitors.
    Evan, CEO
    Experience Advertising, Inc. Affiliate Program Management

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course people are expecting many things and I guess it can make the blog pretty active because of the different topics.Because if I don't update it ,then it will be a problem but since there might be atleast 10 topics then I will atleast be able to update it daily.