SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS Sliding Doors Navigation with Wordpress?

Hi,

If I'm posting this in the wrong forum, my apologies. Please let me know where it should go.

I am interested in using a sliding door technique for my navigation to be used in a Wordpress site. I've tried this before, but I've not been successful since the technique requires the use of <span>.

I found this blog post that may have my solution, but unfortunately, I don't know PHP well enough to know if this will work. http://www.dtsn.co.uk/index.php/2007...-in-wordpress/

Can anyone here help me with this?

Thanks!
    Susan
    Auxano Creative (formerly The WebDesign Loft)

SitePoint Enthusiast guioconnor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Actually, the sliding doors technique is a CSS tehcnique. You'll do much better reading the A List Apart article the author points on his/her tutorial.

The sliding doors technique could be used on a great variety of situations and the markup may vary a great deal.

In wordpress, you will need PHP + the wordpress API to create the markup, but if you are not a PHP developer you can as well use a downloaded theme (or default) and just build your CSS featuring Sliding Doors.
    Guilherme Zühlke O'Connor
    www.z-oc.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and thanks for your reply. I already know how to use the sliding door technique to create a navigation system. Also, I have created several custom Wordpress themes. My question is on how to use them together. From the code in the site I linked above, I see that it requires some extra programming (PHP, SQL?) and that's what I'm not familiar with.

In Wordpress, to have the dynamic navigation, you usually just use this: wp_list_pages. And doing so results in an html list <li> of pages with their links. However, with the sliding doors technique, I need to have an extra <span> in the navigation links. Something similar to this:

HTML Code:
    <li>
    <a href=”http://www.link.com”>
    <span>Link Name</span>
    </a>
    </li>
    So, wp_list_pages is not enough in this situation. My question is, will the code given in the blog post I linked work? And if so, where do I place it?
    Susan

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like I may have the solution here. I posted a question to the author of this blog post and it seems it's not that hard to implement. Thanks for the help!
    Susan