Results 1 to 11 of 11
Nov 12, 2007, 13:56 #1
- Join Date
- Apr 2001
- New York, NY
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
Sorry in advance for the length of this... you can skip to "the problem" if you want to avoid extraneous backstory.
Fast forward to a few months ago, when I got a new computer with Vista. This meant I had to switch to ExpressionWeb, since everything I'd read about FP & Vista compatibility was not very good. Anyway, xWeb was changing everything to UTF-8 by default, despite there being inconsistent charset definitions throughout the site; most were missing, some were ISO 8859-1, others were something else. This inconsistently was revealed once the pages went live thanks to a bunch of odd characters, primarily related to curly quotes, trademarks, and other symbols that had been transferred over when the client copied/pasted stuff from MS Word.
I suggested that we go through page by page and switch everything to UTF-8. I argued that we've been lucky to have gotten away with crappy haphazard coding as long as we have; we need to standardize already. Fortunately a consensus was reached and the project began.
I was in charge of converting the static pages (i.e. not our shopping cart or other script-laden pages), which I did by opening the pages in xWeb, adding the proper charset declaration, and resaving/encoding as UTF-8. The pages I did this with ended up working fine, except for one or two places where old MS Word code was still used. Once the extra stuff was removed it worked fine.
She said she opened up the pages, added the meta charset definition, and closed them again. This concerned me, since I didn't hear anything about 'encoding' in there. So I asked if they were saved as UTF-8 encoded pages, and she said "MS Script Editor doesn't do Save As, it just saves the file."
I thought the problem seems to be that simply adding the charset declaration isn't enough, the pages have to be specifically encoded to match. You usually have to tell your editor how you want pages to be encoded (i.e. what language). The programmer seemed to get irritated by my suggestion -- of course, she was frustrated, understandably -- and said that MS Script Editor is more advanced than FP and that why she uses it, and basically implied that it knows what to do.