User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brothercake View Post
    And Melbourne is so much nicer than Sydney

I wouldn't suggest trying to live in any country illegally. You probably would get away with it, possibly for many many years, but the problem is that once you've done that you can never leave (if you want to be able to come back - because as soon as you leave, they'll know, and then you're blacklisted)
    That is what we are lead to believe; however in reality what seems to happen is that every few years they have an amnesty and give citizenship to illegal immigrants, while those who entered through the proper channels have to grind it out before they are officially accepted.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to live in England too.

Lived in Surrey, which was way too boring (and that's coming from somebody who also used to live in New Jersey!!!).

Bournemouth struck me as a really nice place to live though. That's the only place I could honestly recommend.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
    All i can ask is are you mentally stable?
    Ive lived in england all my life and all i want to do is get the hell outta the place asap.
    400,000 brits a year are releasing their assets and taking them to spain at the moment. The reason; everything here is too expensive. An example : one months cost of running a house here (south west, Somerset), council tax utilities etc, is roughly equilvalent to the running cost in spain for a year. And on top of that the services are meant to be better. Rubbish is collected every night in spain and they will take everything here we are now restricted to one collection every two weeks. We are also currently being threatened with our rubbish containers being weighed and charged by that weight.

I personally don't see myself ending my days in England. I love the place and have lived here all my life but as far as I can see the only way I will be able to afford a decent retirement is to release assets and move to a cheaper country.
    http://www.glasys.co.uk
    Noli Illegitimi Carborundum

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The North of England (Leeds, Manchester) is much better than London. For jobs, salary, nightlife and general standard of life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko2gecko2 View Post
    The North of England (Leeds, Manchester) is much better than London. For jobs, salary, nightlife and general standard of life.
    Salary? lol. If your say so hehe.
    Nightlife, well the sort of nightlife i want is rarely found up here. Where i go the music is rubbish, its like sitting in my mams car .
    There was one good place here called the Attic and theyve now got some woman in playing a saxaphone (me thinks) and shes given me soo many headaches and laughs.

Anyways, i guess everyone to their own, but personally I think england is a joke.
    Webdesigner in Training
    Currently Studying: PHP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man you don't want to live in the UK there are much better places to live such as aussie land and your home the USA, I know i should not be slagging my home country but if i had the money i would move asap to new york, london in my opinon is a s**t hole, it has nice buildings etc.. don't get me worng, it's the people that live there such illegal immigrents.

kind regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sedna View Post
    man you don't want to live in the UK there are much better places to live such as aussie land and your home the USA, I know i should not be slagging my home country but if i had the money i would move asap to new york, london in my opinon is a s**t hole, it has nice buildings etc.. don't get me worng, it's the people that live there such illegal immigrents.

kind regards
    Well put.
    Webdesigner in Training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyways, i guess everyone to their own, but personally I think england is a joke.
    It isn't the place it used to be; but it's streets ahead of most places even now. Being British you have grown up taking many things for granted like democracy, the freedom of speech, tolerance, education and health care. Yes things have deteriorated recently but you are still unlikely to get a knock on the door in the middle of night and never to be seen again. I am a foreigner and choose to live in Britain because I have seen the other side of the coin. When I was a young man and stateless (long story) I can remember reading the British newspapers and meeting British people and thinking that I would give my eye teeth to live in Britain. It really saddens me to see you disparage this wonderful country that has done so much for me. I think once you have lived and worked abroad you might think differently about your birthright. The grass isn't always really greener on the other side of the fence.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salary? lol. If your say so hehe.
    Yep I do. The salaries in London are crap compared to what you get at a decent company in Leeds/Manchester. I know of a company looking to recruit junior web designers at a really high rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobyme View Post
    It isn't the place it used to be; but it's streets ahead of most places even now. Being British you have grown up taking many things for granted like democracy, the freedom of speech, tolerance, education and health care. Yes things have deteriorated recently but you are still unlikely to get a knock on the door in the middle of night and never to be seen again. I am a foreigner and choose to live in Britain because I have seen the other side of the coin. When I was a young man and stateless (long story) I can remember reading the British newspapers and meeting British people and thinking that I would give my eye teeth to live in Britain. It really saddens me to see you disparage this wonderful country that has done so much for me. I think once you have lived and worked abroad you might think differently about your birthright. The grass isn't always really greener on the other side of the fence.
    Honestly this 'country' is sooo pathetic.
    People get away with murder these days. The streets are always filled with abusive, drunk children who are sooo vile you want to do something to them.
    Every penny you earn goes straight out of your pocket. Cmon, the government even wanted to put a tax or what ever it was on pigeon fancying. Im suprised they dont tax you for every mile you walk. Id love to know where my money is going. There hasnt been any decent improvments done near me for ages. C'mon The Angel of the North. How the hell is that an angel? its bloody disgusting, a heap of scrap metal what a waste of money. The money could have been put to use on much better things, like employing more police, etc to keep an eye out for all the yobs, etc.

The government, well the world moans and moans about global warming, complaining that people should help by using public transport, etc. Erm.... a 20 minute car journey to work or almost 2 hours on a bus... which do i choose... which do i choose? If the government wants to help slow global warming why dont they increase the tax on footballers wages so that they dont have the money to buy umpteen 4mpg cars.

The tax, now thats just a joke. The pm says oh i need a new car, what can i tax, what can i tax.... ohh ill charge people for every blade of grass in their garden.

What can you do in this country when you dont have much money? erm nowt. coz all the open areas are being replaced by 40 houses per square foot. Maybes that would reduce global warming if people didnt have to travel miles to find an open space for a game of football or something.

The more i think about stuff like this the more i hate it so ill stop for now.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko2gecko2 View Post
    Yep I do. The salaries in London are crap compared to what you get at a decent company in Leeds/Manchester. I know of a company looking to recruit junior web designers at a really high rate.
    Lol tell me!! tell me!!
    Webdesigner in Training

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    OK I'm going to go out on a limb and say......

I Love this country. I am proud to be English and love this little island.

Whilst I dont always agree with the ruling government; it could be a lot worse.
    Yes petrol prices are stupid
    Yes we are all taxed an awful lot
    Yes we have a yoof culture screw up

but.....

we also have some incredibly friendly people
    we also have some stunning, picturesque landscapes
    we also have 4 season
    we have unpredictable weather in general!
    - in summer it's not too hot to go out without factor 1,000 sunscreen
    - in winter it's not to cold that your car gets frozen to the spot or under 12ft of snow
    - autumn is just beautiful
    - spring is blooming marvellous
    we have history, culture and a great deal of pride
    we have a rubbish football team that we always expect to win everything and never do

all in all I am very proud to be English and even more proud to be a northerner.

oh yes - the Angel of the North is a monstrosity that should be instantly torn down and smelted.
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    OK I'm going to go out on a limb and say......

I Love this country. I am proud to be English and love this little island.

Whilst I dont always agree with the ruling government; it could be a lot worse.
    Yes petrol prices are stupid
    Yes we are all taxed an awful lot
    Yes we have a yoof culture screw up

but.....

we also have some incredibly friendly people
    ^ Shame theres more yobs, etc
    we also have some stunning, picturesque landscapes
    ^ Which are destroyed by housing projects, graffiti, etc
    we also have 4 season
    ^ Which all appear to be the same cold, damp
    we have unpredictable weather in general!
    ^ Eh? rain, rain, rain, nothing unpredictable about that.
    - in summer it's not too hot to go out without factor 1,000 sunscreen
    ^ Its not to warm either
    - in winter it's not to cold that your car gets frozen to the spot or under 12ft of snow
    - autumn is just beautiful
    - spring is blooming marvellous
    we have history, culture and a great deal of pride
    ^ Shame theres nothing thats gonna be worth remembering abuot this period
    we have a rubbish football team that we always expect to win everything and never do

all in all I am very proud to be English and even more proud to be a northerner.

oh yes - the Angel of the North is a monstrosity that should be instantly torn down and smelted.
    See what ive put in the quote ^ hehe
    Webdesigner in Training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come to Snowdonia my friend we have Mountains, Rivers, Sea, Lakes, Forests, Caves, open moors and fantastic scenery, Castles, Hunting, Fishing, Diving, Base jumping,Climbing, Canoeing, Walking, Yomping, Hang gliding, Quad biking, Horse trekking, Mountain biking, Camping, Golf courses and beaches. Quaint Towns and small villages, very little crime. The North Walians are incredibly friendly people as are all the incomers. The pace of life is very laid back and the place very clean. There is a great university in Bangor with an incredible library and hundreds of places to visit. Good restaurants and small out of the way pubs. You can find the bad in anything if that is what you want to see. I agree that life can be tough if you don't have money, but that would be the same where ever you are. We don't pay anywhere near the income tax that the European countries do and our VAT is not so high. Petrol is more expensive than some other places but again nowhere near as much as the Scandinavian countries. It's quite funny and please believe me when I say I don't mean it in a nasty way. If you were in Australia or New Zealand you would find life different but even tougher in some ways they have their day to day problems as well but if you had your attitude there they have a brilliant way of putting you straight which goes something like this "Shut the **** up and stop whingeing". Nobody can put it to you quite like an Aussie or Kiwi. Draw a line in the sand; get involved, life is what you make it.

PS: Before anybody else says it Yes we do have a lot of sheep and when it rains Boy does it rain. and no Rhyl is not clean but that's not in Snowdonia.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone has already said - the grass is always greener...

No-where's perfect. Living in the UK will be both better and worse than other places for some aspects.

I grew up in central London (only moved out here to the sticks in 1999) and it's an exciting place to live - you've got a simply enormous range of food, entertainment and culture on your doorstep. When I was younger that was what I was looking for. Now I'm a bit older, with small kids, I'm more interested in a quieter (cheaper) pace of life so London no longer suits me.

I'm sure that a young person coming to London will have a brilliant time - just as they would in any of the other of the world's great capitals. I still love going back to visit and taking the kids to see all the things I never bothered to see when I lived there.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project