SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to move to England

I currently live in Connecticut and im sick of it. I want to do something new.

Does anyone know how hard it is to get an English Company to sponsor a work visa for a filthy american?

Or any words of wisdom anyone can offer me?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's fairly difficult unless you've got special skills that aren't available locally.

UK companies can't hire people from outside the EU unless they can show that they've advertised inside the EU and couldn't find anyone to do the job. I believe that people from the Commonwealth that have British parentage can get around this - not sure that even this applies outside the Commonwealth though...
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured it wasn't going to be easy. Maybe i'll just plan on staying there for the 6 month tourist visa and try freelancing.

off topic: If your name tailslide has to do with skateboarding you may enjoy my site - <snip>
    Last edited by HAWK; Nov 12, 2007 at 21:15. Reason: Sorry dude - put your link in your sig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry no - not skateboarding, aerobatic flying.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What's so bad about Connecticut? (I don't live there incidentally, for those who don't know - it's Wales)

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by galen View Post
    I figured it wasn't going to be easy. Maybe i'll just plan on staying there for the 6 month tourist visa and try freelancing.

off topic: If your name tailslide has to do with skateboarding you may enjoy my site - <snip>
    Wouldn't do that furthermore if you want to get a legal job. The same rules apply for Spain, since these rules are common to all countries in the European Community, and Americans that come with a tourist visa have quite a bit of trouble surviving.

You may give some particular lessons by yourself, or something like that, but if you want to teach something like English, do not choose UK .... don't know if you knew it, but they do speak English already

It is possible to survive giving private lessons in countries like Italy or Spain, because they are a bit more relaxed, although at some point you will get fired because the company will not be able to do a proper contract. But in UK things are very structured, and there is not much freedom, unless you know someone that wants to take the risk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have so many illegal immigrants in the UK that one more American would probably go unnoticed. I think you would find it fairly easy to find a job in a bar or restaurant or you could work for yourself doing home refurbishments and despite what you may have heard to the contrary, Brits are fond of the Americans; we just don't like your politicians. One final piece of advice from one incomer to another; if you are serious about coming to the UK bring a raincoat.
    Last edited by mobyme; Nov 13, 2007 at 05:20.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile why?

why do you want to work in england?
    when you are already in the land of milk and honey
    hmmm.. i wonder why?
    i just wish you the best dude
    goodluck

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too!!!
    I am a ballroom dancer and many of the top dancers are from England.
    The biggest problem for me is they quarantine pets for a week. I can't do this to my cats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
    Me too!!!
    I am a ballroom dancer and many of the top dancers are from England.
    The biggest problem for me is they quarantine pets for a week. I can't do this to my cats.
    Used to be several months - but then we did manage to stay completely rabies free. In the EU you can get a pet passport which I think confirms innoculations and general health etc - is that not available for pets from outside the EU?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I will say as an American living in Europe it has been pretty tough with the dollar being so weak and it's even worse in England. We went to England in June and just to give you an idea of the cost there.

A meal for 4 at a TGIFridays kind of restaurant (casual family dining) cost about $150. 2 of the meals were kids meals. On the way back to belgium we decided to eat cheap and we ate at Burger Kind (2 value meals and 2 kid meals) for $45.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presumably if he/she manages to find work here they'll be paid in sterling anyway.

Being paid in US dollars and living in the EU, especially the UK at the moment would be a nightmare ($2.10 to the Pound PLUS pretty much everything is about double in price here to the states before you factor in the exchange rate as companies like to rip us off so much - if a piece of software costs $400 in the states then it'll be &#163;400 here - when it should be less than &#163;200!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not too exited about the exchange rate issues. The last time i was there it was 1:1.

Would london be a bad choice? Too expensive? I header if you go outside of london a bit the prices can go down a lot.

But i want the full experience!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    London is not representative of the UK. London is just like any other big city anywhere else; noisy, smelly, commercial, expensive and hectic. Although in fairness to London you would find it very easy to find work although it may not be well paid or particularly pleasant work. There are a lot of other great places in the UK where you are more likely to get the full British experience. Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds, Edinburgh and Norwich to name but a few. If you want to enter the time-warp try North Wales or the South West. There are places that you should steer clear of; but that's the same anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent the first thirty years of my life living in London and I still think it's the centre of the universe!! I moved around 50 miles north of London to a smaller town which is around 45 minutes by fast train into the centre of London. Took me less time to commute from here into town that when I lived on the edge of London!

London is a wonderful, exciting city that also happens to be expensive, dirty and noisy. There are certainly other nice places in the UK - York is a great town.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only been to Bedford a few times and that was quite a long time ago. It used to be a charming place and if my memory serves me well isn't it the birthplace of John Bunyan?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    dude you're in connecticut it's practically the same thing as england. see: new london and all the other "new" towns named after british towns/cities.

if you want something different, drop in on a country completely different from new england, like zimbabwe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to many countries when i was in the navy. England just struck me as a nice place =]

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try Australia - culturally it's similar to England, but the weather is nicer, it's less crowded, and significantly less expensive to live (speaking here as a Brit who now lives in Oz )

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HA!!

The Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court...

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobyme View Post
    I've only been to Bedford a few times and that was quite a long time ago. It used to be a charming place and if my memory serves me well isn't it the birthplace of John Bunyan?
    There are bits of Bedford that are still nice - around the river. A lot of it is pretty sad-looking these days although they are about to redevelop a big chunk of the town centre - so we'll see... It does suffer from having such a big shopping centre (Milton Keynes) so close.

Yep John Bunyan was born in Bedford - statues all over the place!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That might be a fun challenge... see how long you can fly under the radar living in a foreign country without being detected by immigration? LOL, I guess you would have to make sure you wouldn't get burned too bad if you got caught
    Tienes los perros informacion?
    Razas de perros es muy bien y foro de perros!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All i can ask is are you mentally stable?
    Ive lived in england all my life and all i want to do is get the hell outta the place asap.
    Webdesigner in Training
    Currently Studying: PHP

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brothercake View Post
    You could try Australia - culturally it's similar to England, but the weather is nicer, it's less crowded, and significantly less expensive to live (speaking here as a Brit who now lives in Oz )
    Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!
    We rock

Melbourne has a rather busy webdesign atmosphere, most people that I know of in the industry are to busy to take on extra clientele.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Melbourne is so much nicer than Sydney

I wouldn't suggest trying to live in any country illegally. You probably would get away with it, possibly for many many years, but the problem is that once you've done that you can never leave (if you want to be able to come back - because as soon as you leave, they'll know, and then you're blacklisted)