User Tag List

Hybrid View

Necromancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redesign for MediaCollege.com

I'm mainly looking for a review of my new home page design, although any comments about the overall site are welcome. I've just done one page with the redesign - all links from the new page go to the old design.

Visually it's not much different - the point is to convert my layout to (almost) completely CSS. I'm also going for a fluid width, working on better print CSS, and a few other things. There's still a table on the new home page that I need to sort out but the rest of the site will be mostly table-free.

The image down the left will eventually become a Flash file - it's pretty much a placeholder at the moment.

I've agonized over the right-hand sidebar. I was looking for something to show a bit of activity instead of the site seeming too static. Let me know what you think.

Current site: www.mediacollege.com
    New design: www.mediacollege.com/new.html

I'm open to any and all comments/suggestions. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like the redesign much better! For a home page there might be a little too much text and not enough of an "eye-catcher." I agree with the right side bar; lets you know the site is active. I'm sure you other pages will look great as well once you get them converted over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like what you did with the right bar. I do thing the links at the top could be spiced up a bit, possibly similar to the way you do the navigation bar at the top.

Your current design has roll-overs on the top menu, I would keep these for the new design. I would also keep the image that you currently have in the header, I think it is much better than the all blue one you have in the new design.

On both designs I think you did a good job with the Google ads, they fit perfectly into the design but are in very good locations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I think the redesign is much better. One suggestion would be to put all the Navigation items on blue bar below the logo/header.

I think the right side bar is the way to go, in the US we look at the right first then the left... so that flows good for that idea.

I like the colors. Easy on the eyes, maybe make the "media college.com" logo Bigger. Don't be afraid to make the header 120px high +.

I had a quick thought about the background of the page... maybe a white to #E4EAEF gradient... with #E4EAEF at the top. That might POP the navigation if it was put in the header blue area.

Nice concept overall. I like where it's heading!
    SKILEASES.COM - FREE rental listings!
    WILDFIREBLOG.COM - Wildland Fire microblog!

Necromancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much for the comments.

I forgot to mention that the mouseovers aren't working properly in IE6-, neither is the max-width. At the moment I'm not losing any sleep over this.

You guys have given me some good food for thought and I'm working on implementing some of the suggestions. Due to time pressure I am going to release it much as it is but I'll get back to things like the logo, background, links, etc.