SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEOROI.com - Branding, Content, Usability, Credibility

Hi,

I'd like to ask my fellow Sitepointers to review my site, SEO ROI Consulting with the following aspects in mind in particular:

1) Branding. I ran a contest for the design here a while ago with a focus on the branding element of the design. Let me hear if you think I've been succesful with that, and also how you would describe my brand positioning/company image, please.

2) What do you make of the content? Read a post/page or three and fill me in on your thoughts (or leave a comment). I've put a lot of work into writing my stuff so I hope it's enjoyable to you.

3) Do you find the site to be usable? How does the navigation work for you/look to you? Could you easily find the things you were looking for? By the way, the search box isn't behaving properly (try searching "about seo roi" ... the about page doesn't come up first, or at all, last I tried), so if any of you have experience with the Wordpress search everything plugin, it would be awesome.

4) Do you find the site credible? Feel free to talk about whatever you want here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello? Can I get some people to have a look and fill me in on what you think??

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I like the general look and smoothness of your site and I love the logo.

The branding is great and I like the colour scheme. I am not 100% on the font in the navigation at the top though.

Maybe you could add hover effects to the links on the left hand side and although they are so simple it makes it so you know it is a link and which link you are over before you click.

Maybe also for the "Request a Quote" you could make it into an email form so that it will be a simple form to fill in with a few variables which make it easier and more appealing for people rather than a mailto: which will annoy people when it loads up Outlook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nick,

Thanks for reviewing my site. I'm happy you like the look, feel and logo. A lot of work went into that! Same thing goes for the branding and colours etc.

How would you suggest improving the font in the top navigation?

Hover effects on the sidebar's links wouldn't be a bad idea, I'll have to look into that. You're right that it will help people realize it's a link.

For the request a quote, I want to make it a form but when I tried using the one from w3schools it didn't work! Speaking of which, I like your web design site and the switchable templates - nice work! You'll want to look at why the xhtml validator isn't working though?

Thanks again!

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gabriel,
    I really like the design! The logo is very professional looking and very neat!
    The colors are also nice.
    The site seems to be free of usability issues.
    I would suggest that you use a sans-serif font for the text as it will be easier to read!
    The content is well written at least the post about "can you automate SEO" is good!
    Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Nice looking site. A few things I think could be improved:

The forms look very plain (like on http://seoroi.com/request-a-quote-for-seo-services/). A slight difference in color for the <input>'s and <textarea>'s would improve the apppearance and usability I think.

You don't need (and shouldn't have) comments on every page. If people want a quote, thats what they want - not to read about other people asking for quotes! Same for the contact page.

I think you should replace "No comments yet." with "Post a comment." - it will make people want to post something rather than think your site gets no other visitors.

When I resize to 800*600, the search box over-laps the "Get leads and.....demand results." text.

Finally, the text in the footer is extremely small and quite hard to read.

Good luck with your website!
    Me on StackOverflow | Blog & personal website.

I mostly use: PHP, Java, JavaScript, Android.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) I like the logo but the design of the elements looks generic.

2) I like the copy you've written. Pretty concise.

3) The blue nav buttons on the menu bar don't stand out enough. If I was a in a hurry to find something then I might have missed them.

4) The site looks credible. Having your phone number right up there looks good. Would be a good idea to get up with an outside source to review your site and get a seal up showing that you are legit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heya Dark,

Thankyou very much for the kind words and tip on the sans-serif font. I'm looking into it at the moment. Glad to hear you like the post on automating SEO - other people have since written similar posts to my own and the bums are outranking me! Not for long though, provided I keep at my SEO efforts

Aliendev, I'll pass on the comments on the text input areas to my developer and see what can be done. That's a good point. At least it's not a problem from a usability perspective though .

I've removed the comments on my pages - thanks for pointing that out! Similarly, I edited the comments code to read like you suggested . More good advice!

Resizing to 800-600 is problematic, you're right, but my developer couldn't do any better under the circumstances. Some browsers are just difficult that way, and as people replace their older machines, I think this will be less of an issue. That's why we chose to have it that way - the least of our evils.

The footer text is extremely small, you're right. I'll check into adding links to increase text size. But it's small because I'm not in a hurry to have people bother looking there, not leastly because the Privacy Policy page has yet to be psoted .

Thanks a lot to you too for an insightful review!

Good to hear you like the logo Lime. The elements do look a bit generic, but I did ask for a clean, corporate look so that's perhaps more intentional than you might think. I didn't want the 2.0 look.

Thanks for the kind words about my copy .

I'll have another look at the navbar buttons. The flip side is that those links are all repeated in the sidebar. But I'll look into it and see what other people think.

Especially, I'm very pleased to hear you think it looks credible. The phone number was a bit of a gamble, but I'm thinking it's there to stay (now to bring in more revenue and get a proper business line...). I've been looking at the outside reviews and seals, but they cost a bit outside my current budget. Thanks for the tip, though, because I'll be coming back to that in the future, assuming that hopefully my SEO business works out .

Thanks again to all three of you for the kind words and constructive criticism!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. You got the branding done well with the graphics and layout. However, it's not clear weather it's a blog or a consulting company. You have to choose one to be the prominent offering.

2. The content wasn't up to par. Seemed to be mostly commenting on what others have said. I didn't get the feeling that there were a lot of original content.

3. Site is usable and easy to navigate. Good job there.

4. Yes, it looks credible. Especially with the phone and email clearly visible, and the well thought out look and feel.

Good luck.
    I've made every mistake and suffered every pain.
    So you don't have to.
    Stuck with JS or AJAX issue? Ask me here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Waleed,

You've got a good point that the focus is split between being a blog or a consulting company. I'm hoping to add a separate blog folder with the latest posts soon so that it's clear what's what. The main content area will probably continue to feature the best posts from the blog along with some copy for my services. Excellent point, anyways!

I disagree about the content being mostly commentary on what others have to say. I wrote about the DoJ issue, but just about everything else there is my own ideas and not commentary (and my commentary on the DoJ net neutrality point was still original, imho). Could you be more specific about what seems unoriginal to you?

I'm happy to hear it's usable and easy for you to navigate. That was a key issue for me. Similarly, it's nice to hear that it's credibly and the look and feel add to it .

Thanks for a helpful review there Waleedka!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any other reviewers?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site. I like the logo and overall layout and usability. Few points i noted, which are:

1. First Impression: Looks like Article Driven Site. A brief introduction about your SEO services can be added at top of content area (with some kinda images) and after that you can featured 5 recent blog topics.

2. CSS consist of many warnings and xhtml is not validated due to UTF collision.

3. Repeatiton of H1 Tag many times in the home page. You could have use the Logo or tag Tagline (slogan) as H1 and keep the blog Title as H3 and use H2 in Section header like Categories, Archives, Latest News etc..

4. LABEL tag is missing in the Search box.

5. Font-Family: Overall the Font-Family looks good but not very sure about the Menu. A Sans-Serif in menu with little bigger font size ?

Overall, it looks good.

- Experienced WordPress Consultant.
    - Get website design done by Anblik Web Design Company.
    - Collection of Top Free Online Website Builder.
    - Collection of Free Online Website Usability Testing Tools.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review

I like the layout a lot!!!

Very professional and inspires trust. Clean and white.

couple of points
    1) a key service about the internet is free info....offer some really good free advice and help section...this makes you come back to a site...i don't mean a money back trial...I'm far too skeptical for that.
    What i mean is have a free service for the first 50% and then I will feel like you really know what you are about...then charge for the last 50%. Not sure how you would do this, but it is the general idea I am conveying.
    2) I would suggest on the homepage a box that describes who you are and what you have done in the very middle. Then a scroll down to standard questions.
    3) review your email address? Who is GAB? A back office? Rather use a more respected name...such as consultant1, or webmaster, clients, or something applicable.

I Hope that helps. Enjoyed the site.
    Free Africa Pictures for web use|

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 - You're right that a mini-about on the SEO Services above the content would be a good idea. I'll have to look at that.

2 - I'm aware it's not validating. I just don't have time for this relatively minor point.

3 - I hadn't noticed that my titles were in h1 on the home page. Something I need to get sorted out sooner rather than later! Thanks for finding this!

4 - What's a label tag for?

5 - I wanted serif for the branding effect. Thanks for commenting on that though - good eye!

Quote Originally Posted by WebCrawler View Post
    Nice site. I like the logo and overall layout and usability. Few points i noted, which are:

1. First Impression: Looks like Article Driven Site. A brief introduction about your SEO services can be added at top of content area (with some kinda images) and after that you can featured 5 recent blog topics.

2. CSS consist of many warnings and xhtml is not validated due to UTF collision.

3. Repeatiton of H1 Tag many times in the home page. You could have use the Logo or tag Tagline (slogan) as H1 and keep the blog Title as H3 and use H2 in Section header like Categories, Archives, Latest News etc..

4. LABEL tag is missing in the Search box.

5. Font-Family: Overall the Font-Family looks good but not very sure about the Menu. A Sans-Serif in menu with little bigger font size ?

Overall, it looks good.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Logo but it looks more like blog than a corporate SEO site...
    Evan, CEO
    Experience Advertising, Inc. Affiliate Program Management