SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wordpress re-installation

I am planning to re-install the whole script because I got some errors where I cannot resolve anymore. Including "cannot post comment, script does not send password to users after registration, etc"

If I am going to reinstall the script, will my current content will get affected? Will my current script be replaced?

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the database is left untouched then yes.

I'ld suggest creating a new database and reinstall so that you can transfer content (and make it a backup)

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseLeeStringer View Post
    As long as the database is left untouched then yes.

I'ld suggest creating a new database and reinstall so that you can transfer content (and make it a backup)
    I haven't done this before so I am putting my blog into risk...

Should I delete all files (excluding the wp-content folder) and re-install the script?

Thanks

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you reinstall everything except the wp-content folder (and the database) then you should retain your theme (and data) while replacing everything else.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    If you reinstall everything except the wp-content folder (and the database) then you should retain your theme (and data) while replacing everything else.
    I think I installed a plug-in about comment but when I deleted it (does not word ok), my visitors cannot post comment anymore. This is the reason why I want to re-install everything except off course the WP-content and the database.

Do you think this will resolve my problem?

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    REINSTALLING the script should have a prompt to delete database tables (your content) so choose no if it indeed pops up. Thankfully I don't need to do reinstalls to often. If you need custom help just email/pm me and I'll be able to assist.

I'ld suggest overwriting all the current files with the "new" ones from the same version. This way you'll at least workout if it's files or databases that need replacing.

Jesse

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidsnake View Post
    I think I installed a plug-in about comment but when I deleted it (does not word ok), my visitors cannot post comment anymore. This is the reason why I want to re-install everything except off course the WP-content and the database.

Do you think this will resolve my problem?

Thanks
    That plugin will have "stolen" permissions and rewrote them for wordpress, in this case your missing files so why not re-upload them then uninstall/disable using wordpress?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseLeeStringer View Post
    That plugin will have "stolen" permissions and rewrote them for wordpress, in this case your missing files so why not re-upload them then uninstall/disable using wordpress?
    I disabled and deleted that plug-in actually but I think I did a mistake.. I deleted the file before I deactivated the plug-in..so the error comes..and I think some of my codes inside are broken (don't know where)..users cannot post comment so I think I need to re-install some parts of script to make sure all original files are complete and clean.. what do you think?

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably better if you reupload the files and see if wordpress loads.
    Wordpress will be looking for that file regardless if you've removed it or not. Hopefully it will load once it sees the files, then you can delete them successfully. Try that first as it should work (done this once before)

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, thanks