User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Please review my website - tutorials-expert.com

Hi everyone,

Please review my website and let me know what needs to be tweaked up.

my url is http://www.tutorials-expert.com

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thoughts on arriving was is this a directory or a forum. Had to do some reading to see it is a tutorial site. Maybe a quick intro to the site with a nice graphic would help people make that quick connection of what your site is (for the homepage at least). Nice colors and looks full and complete.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks jayg5000. Do you want me to make like a splash screen or just write the word tutorials some where a little more prominent.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review of site

Hi the site colours fonts and side navigation look ok. as the home page i think maybe at least a brief summary or description of what your site offers would be helpful.

The friends and affiliates section on the side is ok if you don't mind people leaving the site. i clicked on one of the links not realising it was a link to another website. As i was reviewing your site i just closed the popup and carried on. however if i had been a normal user i may have gone onto the popup window and carried on browsing from there or i could have got anoyed with the fact that the site has popups. i maybe completly wrong on this.

initially i thought the layout looked a little cluttered but having spent a little time clicking around the site it doesn't seem so bad and seems to be a pretty good navigation system.

The site loaded fast enough (using 3meg broadband) and looks good on the browser i'm using (ie7).

All in all i though a good site.

good luck with it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it custom made cms?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks luke 999 for such a nice review. Yeah you are right about affiliates and friends URLS. I think i might switch there places.

I dont understand which popups you are referring too because i myself hate them. I never use popups to advertise. Please let me know if they were on my website or on some one in my affiliates.

thank you too exxx for asking
    Yeah the whole website is custom made.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Sorry thats probably just me using the wrong terminology. i didn't mean your site had nasty popups at all. so don't worry. i just meant that when i clicked on one of the affilliate links it opened a new window in front of your website. hope that clears things up.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done.Keep up.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Professional design good site.

Thank you

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for such a nice review. Really made my spirits up

You guys are the best

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really nice! Very clean, no crap...looks like a robust site. Maybe you should accentuate the Sign Up link with a graphic..
    Evan, CEO
    Experience Advertising, Inc. Affiliate Program Management

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, a very nice site. It looks a bit "bloggy," but that's not necessarily a drawback. One caveat is its apparent lack of accessibility functions, such as ALT tags and the like. Very functional and well-designed. I think visitors will find it easy to use and very approachable.

Why do the tutorial pages link to other people's pages inside your frames? I definitely have to question that. I never liked it when About.com did it, and I'm not fond of it here. Worse, you don't have a "turn off frames" function, and you don't make it clear to the user that they're going to be looking at other people's work when they click on your link. You might find yourself with copyright problems here. though I'm not an expert on that area. In general, this usage of frames is not a good thing at all. I'd either write my own tutorials, and give credit where credit is due for the material you will inevitably use, or just use straight links to the other site's pages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would scrap the frames, the annoying spammy looking ads and make it obvious the links are external.

I would never visit a site like this again. The design is fine, it's just the implementation and the fact that it isn't obvious the tutorials aren't yours until after I click the links that would keep me from visiting it again.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the last two posts where something a bit alike. So i would write one answer. I know the IFRAME method looks as if i am telling others that this site belongs to me where as it doesn't. Yet i cannot offer any additional features to the tutorials i show i don't do it with IFRAMEs. In case you haven't noticed that i am already giving two three features related to tutorials and people use these tutorial features. The first one is "Similar tutorial" feature. There is no other way to do it. Secondly, rating the tutorial and bookmarking the tutorials. These two other features are still widely used which makes it hard for me to scrap off the IFRAME thingy. As for the ads, i really couldn't find anyway to maintain this website other than putting ads.