SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FeedBurner or Subscribe2?

I'm about to finally launch my new website, and I'll be using WordPress as a CMS setup. But I was wanting to get you all's opinion on which would be more widely used to subscribe. There's a subscription plugin that will let users enter their email address, then click on a confirmation link in the email it sends, and I can set it up to subscribe them to new posts and pages, and if they are registered users of the blog, they can even log in and control which categories they want to get notifications of, and such as that. Do you think this would be better than using something like feedburner? I want to make sure that anyone that is interested in my content has the easiest way of staying up to date with it. I'll offer the RSS link for posts and comments as usual, but wanted something more to keep them linked.

you can see where I'm using the subscribe plugin at www.mythreedaisies.com and www.halochurchsites.com

Tammy

SitePoint Enthusiast Josh Spaulding's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tammy,

FeedBurner is by far the most commonly used and for good reason. FB offers everything you could imagine for RSS management and if they don't offer something you want, you can most likely find a WP plugin that will do it.

*edit* Also, there is a WP plugin (not sure of the name) that FB promotes when you sign up, which tracks all stats no matter what RSS reader your viewers are using.
    Last edited by Josh Spaulding; Nov 11, 2007 at 11:59. Reason: added info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, I'll look into that.

Do you think it would be too much maybe to run both? Some people don't keep up with feeds, I know I don't. I'd rather just get an email telling me there's something new.

SitePoint Enthusiast Josh Spaulding's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I suppose you could use both, but FeedBurner also offers email updates I offer both on my blog through FB.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Alot of people do run both. have the feed link be the one that is in your blog rather than the feedburner one and use the Feedburner Feedsmith plugin to redirect users to your feedburner account. From the link:

For the best results using FeedBurner with your self-hosted WordPress site, we recommend the FeedBurner FeedSmith plugin (originally authored by the awesome Steve Smith). The plugin will detect all ways to access your feed (e.g. http://www.yoursite.com/feed/ or http://www.yoursite.com/wp-rss2.php, etc.), and redirect them to your FeedBurner feed so you can track every possible subscriber. It will forward for your main posts feed, and optionally your main comments feed as well.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, thanks guys. This is something I'm still a little new to. My website will be page based with a custom page as the index where i wanted to have a subscribe blurb.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    feedburner offers all you need I think...so as my best choice too..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm setting up a WP CMS at the moment which will have both email and RSS feeds as subscription options. They can use both if they want, I'm not concerned. I'll be using Feedburner for both RSS and the email subscribers. I looked into doing it all within WordPress itself but there didn't seem to be an easy way to do it, so I'm taking the easy option of using FeedBurner instead. They seem to do a good job although it would be nice to avoid sending them off-site to get the feeds.

I might use that idea of only giving my logged in users the option to receive category specific subscriptions though as it may help get a few more people formally joining my site/forum

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    They seem to do a good job although it would be nice to avoid sending them off-site to get the feeds.
    If you have control over the DNS records for your domain, FeedBurner has an option where you point a subdomain to their servers and serve the feed off there. That would let you drop FeedBurner at some point in the future without losing any subscribers by pointing it back to your own server.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    If you have control over the DNS records for your domain, FeedBurner has an option where you point a subdomain to their servers and serve the feed off there. That would let you drop FeedBurner at some point in the future without losing any subscribers by pointing it back to your own server.
    Thanks, I didn't realise that was possible. It sounds like a good option and I'll look into it.

Ryan,