User Tag List

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's up with my site in Opera?

http://test.ksba.org

The CSS is valid and the HTML is valid except for a few unencoded ampersands which shouldn't have an effect on the layout.

The site is fine in FireFox, IE 6/7, and Safari but blows up in Opera. I've never seen a site just blow up like this in one compliant browser but be fine in the rest.

Any ideas?
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

in Opera

Except for a very slight difference in font size, the site looks the same for me with Firefox 2.0.0.8 and Opera 9.23, Windows OS
    But I may be missing something, what do you mean by "blows up"?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Centauri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Messed up quite a bit in Opera 9.21 for me. I think it is to do with the "clearfix" class - a method I usually don't use. The overflow method of float containment seems to be a bit more cross-browser friendly.

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    Except for a very slight difference in font size, the site looks the same for me with Firefox 2.0.0.8 and Opera 9.23, Windows OS
    But I may be missing something, what do you mean by "blows up"?
    Hmmm, that's weird that it looks okay for you but not on 9.24 on my end. Hehe, well, it just blows up. For example, it's not recognizing the blue border-top I have on the body, the secondary-header area is what's messed up the most with everything left aligned and really just all over the place and the background color on my footer isn't showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
    Messed up quite a bit in Opera 9.21 for me. I think it is to do with the "clearfix" class - a method I usually don't use. The overflow method of float containment seems to be a bit more cross-browser friendly.
    Yeah, you're seeing what I see. Weird, I thought the "clearfix" method was pretty standard to use now. how's the "overflow" method work? Any parent with floated children gets an overflow: style?
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Centauri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deronsizemore View Post
    I thought the "clearfix" method was pretty standard to use now. how's the "overflow" method work? Any parent with floated children gets an overflow: style?
    That's basically it - I usually use hidden to avoid the possibility of scrollbars appearing, but you do have to watch out for other factors, like not setting a height. Paul's css FAQ at the top of this forum has some good points regarding float clearing.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

That opera problem is indeed strange.

I've copied the code locally and it works fine but your online version is losing some of the css styling. However if you click tools preferences and select anything then the page springs back to normal.

If you use the opera developer toolbar to check what styles are active the page also springs back into life so it is of no help.

I am guessing it is something to do with however you are presenting that css file to opera so try a direct link to the css file and see if it makes a difference. If not then try removing the javascript and see whether there is a problem there.

I don't think it has anything to do with the clearfix class but as Centauri has already said you can try the overflow method instead anyway and see what happens.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggested pretty much the same thing to him on The Blog Experiment, Paul. Opera isn't taking too kindly to the dynamic CSS file, which I find to be weird.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Opera isn't taking too kindly to the dynamic CSS file,
    Yes its strange and it would be nice to know why You're the Opera expert Dan - go and find out

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

buggy Opera CSS

I checked the online change logs to see if there were any changes between 9.21 and 9.23 that might explain it. But other than undescribed "stability fixes" I didn't see anything obvious. I also tried to break the page by experimenting with various preference settings like page refresh and caching, but it still looks OK for me. And I don't have the developer toolbar, so that's not it for me

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been away and kinda let a couple theads here at Sitepoint fall from my memory.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've taken a short break from working on this site, but I'll definitely try linking directly to the stylesheet instead of linking dynamically once I resume development. Thanks everyone.
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------