SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE7 not displaying text

For some reason IE7 is not displaying some sections of text until I select the area where I know the text is. It then displays all the text that was previously not displayed, as if selecting the text with the cursor has somehow refreshed that part of the page. I am using an external style-sheet.

Also, on scrolling, some text starts to break up with horizontal lines. The only way to get solid text back is to hover over the text with the cursor.

Any ideas?

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Hi ranger3 welcome to Sitepoint

It sounds like "haslayout" issues (see faq) but as you haven't provided any code then I can't tell you which element is the cause.

The usual haslayout trigger fix for IE7 is to min-height:0 to the parent element. This will be an element of the problematical section (or the element itself) that doesn't have a dimension defined.

That's about as much as I can say without any code or example to work with

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,

Thank you for your reply - much appreciated.

Adding min-height:0 to the parent element has done the trick, although I am curious why this was necessary in this particular case and not others. What are the implications of min-height?

I am wrestling with php, mysql, css, apache, vsftpd at the moment, hence my original post was the most sense I could make without going into meltdown. I will endeavour to post code the next time.

Thanks again,

Ranger3

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    lthough I am curious why this was necessary in this particular case and not others
    You need to read the faq on "haslayout" for a full expolanation but basically elements that don't have layout don't take care of their boundaries or content correctly. In most simple cases this doesn't matter as the code will work fine. However where parents hold complicated elements such as positioned or floated elements or a lot of content with images and text then it is important that the element has "layout" because it often forgets where things are and either misplaces them or forgets to draw things correctly.

In "haslayout" mode the browser is forced into more complicated rendering algorithms to make sure it has control of itself and its content when laying out the page. MSN says it does it this way to speed up rendering as all elements don't need "layout" but seems to be more of an excuse than an answer.

What are the implications of min-height?
    To all other browsers except IE7 the implications are none. min-height:0 means nothing if the browser doesn't understand it as it just gets ignored (as un the case of IE6) and if it does understand it will do nothing also because a minimum height of nothing is what an element will start out at anyway if it had no content.

IN IE7 however it is a "haslayout" trigger and puts the element into "layout" mode and it takes care of itself much better. IE7 is much better than IE6 in these matters and doesn't need so many "haslayout" fixes. There area number of other triggers for "haslayout" and the most obvious are dimensions.

Read the faq for more info

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting - thanks again.

Ranger3