SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question RSS Feed INTO my blog??

Ok...it seems this is possible, but I need some guidance on where to start....

I am needing to do an RSS feed from several major news sources into a single blog for topic specific articles daily. They would be catagorized on the blog
    by source and topic. I would need to have at least some of the article viewable on the page. Where do I start?

If I have posted this in the wrong place, sorry and feel free to move....

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try SimplePie
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

SitePoint Enthusiast guioconnor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what you want is more or less what SimplePie does.
    Guilherme Zühlke O'Connor
    www.z-oc.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use FeedWordPress.

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its scripts like that which are scraping the content of original blogs

I would encourage you to write your own posts. Google has not only taken more steps to reduce the rank of those who copy content, they have also made it very easy to report someone who is using adsense on a page with copied material.

I haven't had to do it yet but if I found a site scraping posts I had taken hours to write I would take report them to adsense and send an email to their hosting company too

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fonzerelli_79 View Post
    its scripts like that which are scraping the content of original blogs

I would encourage you to write your own posts. Google has not only taken more steps to reduce the rank of those who copy content, they have also made it very easy to report someone who is using adsense on a page with copied material.

I haven't had to do it yet but if I found a site scraping posts I had taken hours to write I would take report them to adsense and send an email to their hosting company too
    If you are reposting full articles, and without permission or attribution, yes, that is completely wrong. However, there are legitimate uses for these scripts.

My site is an aggregator of a couple dozen blogs on the same topic. It quickly allows interested parties to browse the headlines of all the blogs at once, and find the news that interests them.

1. I post only an excerpt of the original article, with the permalinks pointing back to the originating site. Same thing Google News does.

2. The contributor blogs are notified and given the chance to opt-out before I add their feed to my site. And I get requests to be added, when a new blogger finds out about my site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruce,

can you explain how to use FeedWordPress ?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aix4200 View Post
    Bruce,

can you explain how to use FeedWordPress ?
    It's a WordPress plugin, so basically you just upload the files into the plugins directory, and activate in your admin dashboard.

It provides an interface for adding feeds, and specifying how to handle them - which category to place the articles in and such.

I'm still using an older version that runs a cron job to get the updates, but the newer versions apparently no longer requires this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Feedwordpress is the right plugin for the job or you could try out WP-o-Matic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that Feedwordpress 0.99 seems to have problems updating correctly with WP 2.3 and 2.3.1. Some feeds don't appear properly and the dating on some get a little messed for some reason. I have read about others having similar problems...sadly there is no update/response yet from RadGeek on this.Hopefully we will see a new build (0.99.1 or even 1.0!) soon as it is a fantastic plugin.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FYI, content from RSS feeds that are displayed as blog posts on your own site will most likely be filtered out as duplicate content by the search engines so those pages won't appear in their search results. Also, in the case of Google, those pages will cause you to leak PR.

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceHolbrook View Post
    If you are reposting full articles, and without permission or attribution, yes, that is completely wrong. However, there are legitimate uses for these scripts.

My site is an aggregator of a couple dozen blogs on the same topic. It quickly allows interested parties to browse the headlines of all the blogs at once, and find the news that interests them.

1. I post only an excerpt of the original article, with the permalinks pointing back to the originating site. Same thing Google News does.

2. The contributor blogs are notified and given the chance to opt-out before I add their feed to my site. And I get requests to be added, when a new blogger finds out about my site.
    wasnt trying to suggest you were, sorry if that came out wrong. I was actually referring to the simple pie script

Check out the demo of simplepie here - As you can see, their demo reproduces the full feed