SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CheaperDeals.net - Where Everything is Cheaper!

Hi All,

I started a new deal site CheaperDeals.net and I was hoping to get some feedback.

With many other deal sites out there, I'm looking for a way to differentiate my site...any suggestions would help.

I'm trying to keep the site as clean as possible and user-friendly. I was hoping to get feedback regarding:

1. Is the site easy to navigate? Would you use the drop down menus on the right tool bar?

2. I'm looking to add a forum. Should I wait until the traffic levels increase to start the forum?

3. I mostly focus on tech + computer deals, but list others as well (home, clothing, sporting goods, etc). Should I try to focus more on specific products? If I decide to list all different kinds of products, should I really focus on having all the categories covered?

4. Any general feedback regarding the layout and design would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Andrew
    CheaperDeals.net - Helping you find the Cheapest Deals

Savvy25.com - For The Young and Savvy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice design. But the link text is too cloudy!

You may adjust it to darker!

Bigu,
    9HWD.com - The HD Wallpapers Network.
    FB covers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Hey There...

Here's my two cents:

1. Is the site easy to navigate? Would you use the drop down menus on the right tool bar? I like the menus on the right as they are.

2. I'm looking to add a forum. Should I wait until the traffic levels increase to start the forum? I don't have any idea how you get a good forum going.

3. I mostly focus on tech + computer deals, but list others as well (home, clothing, sporting goods, etc). Should I try to focus more on specific products? If I decide to list all different kinds of products, should I really focus on having all the categories covered? The home page is a little confusing in regard to the items listed in the center. Seems just sort of random. I sort of like your idea of focusing on computers and electronics. Maybe get a good forum going re: deals in those areas. But, I'm a very, very new at all this so take my input with a grain of salt.

4. Any general feedback regarding the layout and design would also be greatly appreciated. It's too slow to load. Looks like you're still working on the coupon page. You might want to put the coupons into categories for easier searching. I like the logo..reminds me of pacman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Yes, that's probably the best thing about your website. With the tabs and the dropdowns on the right, it's easy to browse around.

2. I don't know what traffic you are getting, but I can tell you that even with 10,000 visitors a day, your forums can still be dead. Dead dead. If you do create forums right now, don't go above 3 forum categories. Perhaps: general discussions, hot deals and freebies.

3. No, that's not important. What is important is to keep listing only the very good deals, not the so-and-so ones, and post them fast too. If slickdeals, fatwallet and bensbargains teach us anything is that you can mix in any type of product from any category at any time.

4. The pacman face isn't an obvious "C", but it's not something you should worry about right now either. The firefox-adsense affiliate is out of place.

Necromancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcho4
    1. Is the site easy to navigate? Would you use the drop down menus on the right tool bar?
    Yes and yes. Personally I would probably favour the drop-menu over the main menu as a first-time visitor.

2. I'm looking to add a forum. Should I wait until the traffic levels increase to start the forum?
    Difficult question, but I'd wait if I were you. An empty forum is a bad look. I would wait until there's enough traffic to get at least a few potential users, and also make sure I had enough time to help contribute. The best way to get the forum started will be to post messages yourself so budget the time for it.

3. I mostly focus on tech + computer deals, but list others as well (home, clothing, sporting goods, etc). Should I try to focus more on specific products? If I decide to list all different kinds of products, should I really focus on having all the categories covered?
    I think you're already being specific enough. Also, you might want to leave your options open enough to try different product types and see which perform best.