SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review DanielOkula.com

I've spent the last few weeks working on this site and I want to know if I'm going in the right direction with this theme.

Can you guys focus on:
    1. Are the ads on top too obnoxious ?
    2. Do all the colors match and is the layout consistent?
    3. What can I add or change to the menu on the right? (I'm stuck)
    4. Is this a good niche to get into?

Thanks guys, your help is much appriciated.

link: http://danielokula.com
    Last edited by DanielOkula.com; Nov 8, 2007 at 20:30.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Ok...

1. Are the ads on top too obnoxious ? The google ads aren't too bad. Seem to fit in.

2. Do all the colors match and is the layout consistent? The colors are ok and the layout is consistent. The Home and other 3 links aren't exactly right. The cursor doesn't allow you to click when you are on them...you have to kind of go beneath them a bit too much. The words across the top that end in success are ok but it doesn't really work for me to just have the one word...success... in black.

4. Is this a good niche to get into? I'm not exactly sure of the site's purpose. To test your business ideas? Not sure how you are going to attract people to the site. I guess other people interested in creating businesses and making money might be interested...the site is a place where people can go to collaborate with each other and test their biz ideas? That might work better than just a site designed to just test your own biz ideas. Looks interesting.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Daniel, I'd love to see your site when it has a bit more content. We all love great business ideas
    I really like the text underneath your navigation in combination with the story. Really gets the feeling thrue.

About your points:
    They're not obnoxious I think, though they are quite in your face (if thats the correct expression), since it has a diffrent look in comparison to your site. Plus it's right in the center of the page.

I really like the colours, though I think you should match the top and bottom colours (blue/purplish). You might want to use that colour in the Recent Entries/Blogroll part too.
    On the layout side: In IE5.5 the layout isnt centered, but goes all the way to the left. Other then that, it's quite clear what's where. I like it

Well the recent entries is a good idea. Maybe you can find some succes-stories on self made men you like or something you want to link there?

Everybody loves great idea's. I cant really say if it's a good niche since it isnt quite clear to me what exactly you are planning on posting.

Necromancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, they're okay. However it could be worth considering removing them for a while as you build the site. At first your biggest problem is attracting and retaining visitors, and little things like this could make a difference. You could leave the ads out while you're building momentum (and while the ads aren't making much money anyway) then reinstate them when the site has gained some traction.

Yep, looks fine to me.

3. What can I add or change to the menu on the right?
    Links to other similar-themed blogs etc?
    Photos?
    On the other hand, do you really need the right-hand menu? Maybe you could dump it altogether and us the space for your main content.

Can't say with any confidence but I do know it's a popular topic. Wether or not that translates to good profit I don't know. One thing though - you might want to consider the impact of giving away good ideas for free. It would suck to publish a great idea and then find someone uses it before you do.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you guys think the content that's on it so far is alright ? How can I improve it? Did it benefit you in any way?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. No, and I think they will perform quite well.
    2. You seem to combine red with orange. I would stick to either one.
    3. Recently Posted is waaaay too big. I'd stick to a 160px wide column with a skyscraper, latest posts, featured posts, tag cloud, links section, quote of the day.
    4. "Ideas of a future entrepreneur" is not really a good subject to build your website around. By "future enterpreneur" I understand someone who doesn't yet have any hands-on experience, only his dreams and business plans, and who's going to learn from a lot of mistakes once he gets his business going. Why would anyone want to read about someone who hasn't popped his entrepreneur cherry yet? :-) People want to hear from experienced entrepeneurs and learn from their mistakes.
    You don't necessarily have to change the subject behind your website/blog but don't make it so obvious with "Ideas of a future entrepreneur."

Good luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colors and layout is beautiful, just please remove the ads they hurt the eyes.

SitePoint Evangelist bradical1379's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never been a fan for ads on a personal website, but, I guess if you get the traffic then why not?

Great choice color and design concept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like your site. I think it has a huge potential; personally I would run with things the way they are and look to give the site a few final flourishes in say six months time when any flaws (if there are any) become more obvious. I would not worry too much about your "future entrepreneur" stance; in fact I think this is gold dust as "real entrepreneurs" are going to go out of their way to point out the potential problems which will make for some very interesting reading. I was going to wish you luck but quite honestly I don't think your going to need it. Well done.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobyme View Post
    I really like your site. I think it has a huge potential; personally I would run with things the way they are and look to give the site a few final flourishes in say six months time when any flaws (if there are any) become more obvious. I would not worry too much about your "future entrepreneur" stance; in fact I think this is gold dust as "real entrepreneurs" are going to go out of their way to point out the potential problems which will make for some very interesting reading. I was going to wish you luck but quite honestly I don't think your going to need it. Well done.
    Thank you for your kind comments. You really further motivated me keep on improving the site and throwing content out there!