SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Promoting upon launch

I am working with others on a project that will need to be heavily promoted upon launch. It is a somewhat unique idea so we will want to get a head start over any competition that may try to use our ideas. It will rely on user generated content so I believe that we will need to heavily promote it upon launch in order to get more content on the site and therefore more users.

What are your strategies for promoting a site upon launch? Do you empty your budget on the first day and hope for return visitors or do you gradually spread it out over a month or two? Where do you buy advertising from? How much traffic could lets say $10,000 buy?
    Last edited by Tbonec3; Nov 8, 2007 at 14:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have quite a loaded question there.

Rule #1 is you need to make sure you have a site worth visiting. Spend a small amount on a targeted PPC campaign, and track your results. If the visitors did not interact much with your site, you need to go back to the drawing board on the design, navigation, value proposition or flow of the site and make sure it converts for your next test.

Run this several times and once you have your best result you can feel more confidence in spending your budget.

Also, social networking sites are a great way to get visitors without paying a dime these days.
    My Blog - Entrepreneur, Marketing, Health, etc.
    Latest Blog Post:
    How to find Sales Prospects on LinkedIN (374 views)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A newly untapped market you may want to consider is FaceBook Ads. When creating your ad, you can filter your audience down by location, interest, age, etc.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been proven with extensive research in the advertising industry that to ensure brand recognition and retention (meaning people know who you are and will chose your product/service over others) it is better to advertise consistently over time rather than to "shock" the consumer with a short barrage of advertisements or marketing. There are instances when it work well, such as sales or special events, but the most sound solution would be to promote your site over an extended period of time to ONE audience.

Don't show ads or send messages to one group of people and then another, then another, and assume since you're advertising over time that it will be effective. My example is in reference to the same group of people. Just to prevent any potential McSteaks.
    I run companies.

I run a blog too.
    StevenKovar.com