SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ie6 peekaboo bug but no floated elements?

has anyone ever experienced the the peekaboo bug/disappearing background images bug, but with a layout that has absolutely no floated elements?

I have a "tab" system where javascript turns on/off the display of content on the page, everything works great in everything except IE<7 where the background images disappear/reappear very much like the peek-a-boo bug.

My layout does have floats in it, but as an experiment, i made sure everything was in the flow, but the peak-a-boo bug is still happening.

Because of the nature of the site i'm working on, i can't post the page here, if someone will help me, i can PM a link to gain access to the code.
    ---------------------------------------
    Ashley Kennedy
    how does a designer get roped into writing code?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we really need to see some code to help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE:

the fact that there were no floats involved should have clued me in that is was not a peak-a-boo issue.

the real issue is some sort of off shoot of the IE flicker hover problem, because it's not caused my a hover class, but by javascript swapping images on a click. The hover flicker issue is detailed here:
    http://www.mister-pixel.com/#Content__state=

the fix for my problem, is actually this, removing the "javascript:void(0)" from the href, as detailed here:
    http://blog.reindel.com/2006/08/11/a...void-the-void/

It seems that in IE, javascript:void(0) actually "tells" the browser that "hey, this goes nowhere, stop what you're doing." Even though the javascript function is in the middle of changing background images.

I thought it to be a peek-a-boo issue because what was disappearing seemed very chaotic, but really it was a timing issue where the javascript image swapping would sometimes beat the voiding action, and sometimes not. the more images and code on the page, the more the problem would happen as well, seemingly because the function was reacting slower than the void when the page is heavier.

sorry that i can't post a code example to prove this, but i hope that it helps anyone else dealing with IE6.
    Last edited by ashleyk; Nov 9, 2007 at 07:15. Reason: typos
    Ashley Kennedy
    how does a designer get roped into writing code?