User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tiny lightweight blog script

Hi all.

I have a small amount of webspace on my student account that I'd like to put a blog on.

I'm looking for something very small and lightweight, in PHP or CGI/Perl, that doesn't need a database to operate. Maybe even something in a single script file, something like that.

Any suggestions?

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

no db blog

Hi cr4a, welcome to the forums,
    If the blog doesn't use a database, it would need to write to files. IMHO this could take more space than a database.
    Or you could edit/create new files for each "post", but then you couldn't accept comments.
    Perhaps you could sign up for a free blog at WordPress or Blogger?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I'm ok with it creating files to contain the posts, etc. I have enough free space for the infrequent posts I'd be making, I just don't really have access to a database to use.

This would be kind of a work diary type thing, not anything big. I might end up doing the Blogspot thing, but I think it'd be a bit more appropriate to have something simple in my department student webspace.

When I did this before, I just made an index page and manually inserted updates into the HTML itself. I'm looking for a bit of an improvement over that situation.
    Last edited by cr4a; Nov 8, 2007 at 13:55. Reason: more detail