SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Smoking

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a Smoker

    13 28.26%
  • I am a Non-Smoker

    23 50.00%
  • I have a disdain and complete lack of tolerance for smokers

    11 23.91%
  • I don't really care either way

    9 19.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 101 to 120 of 120
  1. #101
    Non-Member willy ersel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just dont want to hang around people who smoke it's a disgusting habit

  2. #102
    Non-Member willy ersel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont hang around people that smoke , you might give in into smoking again one day. So watch out.

  3. #103
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont find anything edictive in smoking cigiretts. Have tried several times but never succeeded.

  4. #104
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,314
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Stop trying.

  5. #105
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,025
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    I was disagreeing only with the 'escaping from reality' being a 'stupid' thing...
    Sorry Hawk, a bit confused here...

    I thought that what you meant was that some people tried weed as a new experience, and that they were not necessarily escaping from reality.

    But they way you say it here it looks like you disagree with the stament itself.

    Either way, I respect your opinion but, obviously, I can't agree with it . I don't know what went through your mind when you tried weed and coke, and I don't know if you ever took them in a regular basis (with this I do not mean that you did, and if you did I don't meat it was every day, but maybe some weekends or at some parties), but I do confess that I fail to understand how someone would like to try a new experience that affects your consciousness (to a more or less degree, depending on the person) and that, if taken lightly, can be dangerous. In the best situation, people will not notice, but you will know you are not feeling normal, some other times behaviour will be foolish.

    This is not a critique, it is simply that I do not understand it. The same goes for people that go out in the weekend and their fun is to get drunk. I don't see the fun of it.

    And still, even when you told me that I was wrong, I can't help but wonder if someone doesn't really want to escape from reality somehow when (s)he tries a drug, knowing that his/her reflexes and behaviour are going to be affected. After all, (s)he will be doing it on purpose.

    About my comment, this is what life has taught me, or what I was able to learn from both experience and observation. Reality has always reached me, and I could never avoid it, even if I wanted to. I can only assume that this is what happens to everyone. You can either face it, and try to run until it reaches you again. If I learnt it wrong, then I guess I will pay for it, because the second lesson I have learnt is that you pay for everything you do.

  6. #106
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,025
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    I hate people who whine when someone lights up, especially if it's in an open area where the smoke will affect nobody.
    HA! For some weird reason, even in the open, when someone lights up a cigarrette the smokes goes right TO me. That's why.

    It is like the smoke itself knew who hates it and the it went right to that person. It never fails. You move to avoid, and, bang! the wind change and the smokes follows you.

    Anyway, I will have to live with the fact that you hate me

    Although I do say that I do not whine and keep my mouth well shut, because they smokers do not listen and do not stop smoking anyway, so what's the point?

  7. #107
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkinT View Post
    Are you a smoker?
    Do you have a particular opinion about working with people who smoke?
    I hate smokers because whenever I smell it I feel I'm suffocating...

  8. #108
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,314
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    If I learnt it wrong
    Not wrong, just different.

  9. #109
    whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are some very altruistic opinions of drug taking mentioned here, and for those that never have taken any i'm very certain you're fine without the experience of them. On the other hand those of us who have been young and stupid, (not the only view on why someone takes drugs in the first place but..) half the reason as Hawk said is experiencing something different.
    I've read countless books of people who have gone to far flung places, taken mind-altering plants/drugs/compounds and have all said it was just something different, and most say it was also worthwhile. That's life, experience however much of it you want, take whatever you want of what is on offer, certainly some choices are far worse than others, only the individual can assess the risk and decide what they want. But to put it simply, you cannot understand something you do know know, and it is no more true for anything than the mind under influence, whatever the drug, so you'll never understand the why. You can assume the reasons for the initial choice, but not understand the result.
    For the record I no longer take any mind-altering drugs. I'm done with that, and had my fair share of experiences to last me long enough, and no I don't feel damaged in the slightest by it, them, or anything I put into my body. No more than I do when I drink coffee. (with the exception of smoking ciggs, which I do feel damaged by, but i'm working on the quitting of that anyhow..as I smoke less and less these days, by choice.)

  10. #110
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,314
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Well said. It's all about the individual's right to choose.
    I don't force my ideas or values on others and all I ask in return is not to be judged.

  11. #111
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,025
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    for those that never have taken any i'm very certain you're fine without the experience of them
    I never tried them per se... I have only been affected when someone smoked it in front of me. I am glad that I never did try it myself, because just the smoke gets me "wild". Must be because I have a strong allergy, and any kind of smoke or strong perfume annoys me so. I must be more sensitive than others.

    For the other drugs, unfortunately enough, I've seen their effect on people (not regulars, just people that maybe use drugs once a year, or on a special occasion). Not nice.

    And yes, I do understand that 15 year old may try it, but I can't understand how a 30 or 45 yeard old person does. I respect it, because we all have the right to do what we want, but I do not understand it.

  12. #112
    whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looking at someone on any kind of drug (be that alcohol or anything else legal or not) is never a great experience. And of course everyone has the right to reject choices in life as they see fit. I'm glad that here we have the people who are inteligent enough to respect everyone, no matter what they have to say or the choices they make

  13. #113
    Function Curry'er JimmyP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    2,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its not my right or anyone's right to dictate what a person should or should not do!!!

    But I still have a strong feeling about the subject. The problem is that making generalisations about people that smoke is plain wrong and primative because the fact is that there are tonnes of reasons why people smoke, and to be honest some are more justified than others!

    If its for the everyday stresses of life then I think its okay because everyone has their own individual mechanisms for dealing with it.

    I don't smoke simply because my parents drilled it firm into my head that it is wrong and disgusting, almost to the length that i felt discompelled to do it simply because of their potential disgust for me.... also another reason is probably just because I would drop dead seeing as i am quite an asthmatic as it is!

    Second hand smoking, is obviously a different matter cos its not just you that its affecting ... it is children, peers and strangers who you are intoxicating with your addiction --- THIS IS WRONG!

    LAST WORD: --> These types of discussions are starting to become monotonous for me and im only 17. The amount of times I have conversations which obviously have no justifiable and correct conclusion is countless....

    Does God Exist?
    Is smoking right?
    Is Elvs Dead?
    Blah blah,...
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

  14. #114
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,314
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Whoa. Jaded at 17?

  15. #115
    Non-Member jeanprixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cigarette Smoking is dangerous to your health!


  16. #116
    SitePoint Enthusiast Elijah_A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't smoke, I love my lungs.

  17. #117
    Function Curry'er JimmyP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    2,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    Whoa. Jaded at 17?
    mmm.... Its a result of my school trying to get us into these 'chirstian living' classes, in which we either tell everyone how christian we are or have to justify why we are not...

    Plus the smoking thing is a conversation i've had quite a few times with 'stupid' manipulated peers... - --> Not that people that smoke are stupid... but people that start at the age of 14 solely because of peer pressure are definitely stupid!!

    Anyway... I am not totally jaded yet. I will persist and not give up on the ignorant...
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

  18. #118
    hi galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    1,228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no problem with courteous smokers. i hate the smokers that will stand in the middle of a crowd and smoke, messin up my oxygen.

  19. #119
    Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mittineague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    West Springfield, Massachusetts
    Posts
    16,454
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    intelligence

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyPaddy
    but people that start at the age of 14 solely because of peer pressure are definitely stupid!!
    I started smoking at age 14 and it had nothing to do with stupidity. It had to do with Sexual Awakening and Insecurity and Ignorance. I'm old enough that when I started there were no warnings (or even cautions) on the packs. In TV shows and movies lots of the actors smoked. Most offices had ash trays with no thought about whether it was right or not, heck, even some grocery stores had ash trays! It was just something someone either did or didn't do, no social judgement attached.
    I remember some people complained about the smell of cigars once and a while, but cigarettes were rather ubiquitous and socially acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by galen
    messin up my oxygen
    True, you may not like the smell, but it hardly affects the quality of your air (unless you live in the outback maybe). IMHO there are a lot more unpleasant smells in a crowd then someone's cigarette smoke.

  20. #120
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a smoker~~,but i hate smoking...


    -------------------------
    flash games


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •