Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    haha... You mortified me from ever since.
    Yeah, yeah.. :P

Now it's true that some people can handle it and some people can't. The same way that some people can drink and remain normal and some people drink and act like jack*sses.
    Did I say they act as if they were completely wasted? No, no with just one. Normally, it takes more than one to get high. But quite often, people need just one to forget some inhibitions.

Now cocaine on the other hand... Cocaine and weed are two completely different things.

Coke is definately one of the factors that contribute crime.

Don't confuse the two... they're not all the same.
    Don't worry, I know that's a different stuff. I know both situations, although I don't regularly deal with that everyday (most of the people knows what I think, so they would not tell me, only after a long time they know me, and then I don't understand why they say things like that to me). But I am not talking about people that steel, or prostitute themselves, or do whatever crazy thing is needed to get drugs.

The people I am talking about do not steel, they make good money and spending money in cocaine doesn't hurt their budget. They say they do it to keep up the pace with their busy and stressed life, but in both cases (weed and cocaine) the real reason is to escape from reality. And, with cocaine, it is also to show how "wild" and "cool" they are, and how much money they have. After all, cocaine is expensive.

In both cases, drugs are taken lightly. I heard too often that just trying it once or twice will not make you addicted to drugs. But that depends on the person.

Trying to escape from reality is always stupid... because reality will find you anyway, only that you will not be fit enough to deal with it.

Plus, weed smells terrible!

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I saw someone spit on the street today, and realised how much more disgusting that is than any litter

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    Trying to escape from reality is always stupid... because reality will find you anyway, only that you will not be fit enough to deal with it.
    This is a profound statement. Worth repeating
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona
    Plus, weed smells terrible!
    Agreed. But tobacco smells worse.

Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic
    I saw someone spit on the street today, and realised how much more disgusting that is than any litter
    Yeah but at least spit will easily wash away and return to the Earth when the rain falls.

Some types of garbage would take a lot longer, or never will !!

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agreed. But tobacco smells worse.
    I think I am more used to tobacco as the people around are heavy smokers

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona
    I think I am more used to tobacco as the people around are heavy smokers
    I think I am more used to weed as the people around are heavy smokers

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, weed smells much nicer than tobacco.

In Peru, sometimes I see rubbish on the beach with labels in Russian. It's stuff that people on Russian refrigerator ships chuck overboard while they're fishing Peru's fish away unchecked. It's illegal because Peru's waters stretch 200 miles from the coast and we haven't given fishing licences to anyone, but they do it anyway because Peru only has a handful of boats and helicopters to patrol the coast. And every time they get caught, the Russians say "sorry, we won't do it again" but of course they do. And it's not like we can wage war with the Russians over some fish.

Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think I am more used to weed as the people around are heavy smokers
    Off Topic:

I guess you are so used to that it doesn't affect you... the few occasions someone smoke weed in front of me... I felt if I was the one smoking it! it makes me feel dizzy and, if there is more than one person... I am the one who gets "high"

Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    In Peru, sometimes I see rubbish on the beach with labels in Russian. It's stuff that people on Russian refrigerator ships chuck overboard while they're fishing Peru's fish away unchecked.
    I really feel bad with how unconcious we are and the way we treat the planet... we are not even civilised enough to throw our trash where we should, and reciclate what we can.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok, weed does smell better I agree. But as someone who left that habit behind some 4 years ago I can say I'd rather be smoking tobbaco than that stuff. It feels great, sure, but you can't say what the whole term effects are. I had to sack someone cause they were useless at work because they smoked weed (they made it known, and even if i hadn't known, I would have still come to the same conclusion) On the other hand, the drummer from my ye old band smokes it like it is tobacco and you'd never know the difference in him if he did or not, so I guess, its ok for some folks. For the record, I stopped that habit the day I decided to.

As for spitting Shuan, you're right it will get washed away. And If i'm waking the streets when I'm ill enough to need to spit I will, but I don't do it as a habit and even then I'm embarassed enough to try and either spit the phlem down the drain or somewhere less noticeable. Not like the situation I was describing where some (I-could-care-less)wantant with a tracksuit spat just before my feet. slob. That really makes my blood boil.. the care-less attitude of idiots, who seemingly breed on the very streets of the UK...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic
    the care-less attitude of idiots, who seemingly breed on the very streets of the UK...
    There do seem to be an awful lot of them.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    Hmmmm. I have to strongly disagree with you here. You are making some pretty sweeping statements.

While you are right in some cases - there are definitely people that use drugs to escape their reality for reasons of avoidance, that is not always the case. As someone that has used both week and coke in the past, I would have to say that I am one of many people that chose to do so in order to experience a different reality.

As with anything, we all do things for different reasons. It works well for some, and not so well for others. But that doesn't necessarily make it wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    Hmmmm. I have to strongly disagree with you here. You are making some pretty sweeping statements.

While you are right in some cases - there are definitely people that use drugs to escape their reality for reasons of avoidance, that is not always the case. As someone that has used both week and coke in the past, I would have to say that I am one of many people that chose to do so in order to experience a different reality.

As with anything, we all do things for different reasons. It works well for some, and not so well for others. But that doesn't necessarily make it wrong.
    If you're trying to escape your reality or visit another, then you might want to think about what is making you yearn for that other reality.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could just want to find out what it's like. A bit like visiting a foreign country, it can be a great trip.

Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_22 View Post
    If you're trying to escape your reality or visit another, then you might want to think about what is making you yearn for that other reality.
    New experiences, looking at things from a different perspective. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK
    New experiences, looking at things from a different perspective. It's not necessarily a bad thing.
    It's a bad thing if you can't make yourself revert or if it's bad for your health.

As I said before... some people can handle it and some can't.

Apart from that...

What I was talking about with crime and cocaine isn't only the prostitution and muggings and the the theft that molona described... I'm also talking about the organised behind-the-scenes crime... the big boys with the money and the guns that sell the drugs, call the shots, and get people (sometimes innocent people) killed.

I'm sorry but even if it's a nice/different experience or whatever... the un-necessary benefit of that one person isn't worth the security of the whole community.

Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    I completely agree with you on all of that Shaun.

I'm certainly not suggesting that drugs are a good thing and that everyone goes out there and tries them.

All I am saying is that different people do things for different reasons and it's not always about 'running away from reality'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    You could just want to find out what it's like. A bit like visiting a foreign country, it can be a great trip.
    Okay, well, visit another country then.

Wait a minute... I'm confused here. Are we talking about the new food in the freezer aisle or are we talking about things like LSD, marijuana, and eight-balls that have documented evidence proving their destructive traits and health concerns? Yes, I'm even going as far as saying cigs here too... Screw them all.

I wouldn't mind trying new things given they don't debilitate my judgment, deteriorate my hand-eye coordination, nor ruin friendships... I wouldn't mind going on trips and going to "high places" given I don't have to breath in smoke, and in turn, killing my brain cells, or, inject something into my body in order to ascend to "enlightenment".

Just because there's a door, doesn't mean it should be opened.

But like you said: It works well for some, and not so well for others. Just ask this kid.

Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Hey - I'm not debating the fact that drugs do a lot of harm to a lot of people. There is no question that that is the case.

I was disagreeing only with the 'escaping from reality' being a 'stupid' thing...

You're going off on your own tangent here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey - I'm not debating the fact that drugs do a lot of harm to a lot of people. There is no question that that is the case.

I was disagreeing only with the 'escaping from reality' being a 'stupid' thing...

You're going off on your own tangent here.
    I guess I am, but I'm glad I am because it's a point that needs to be made and kept in check.

Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Sure, that's completely your prerogative.

I just want to make sure that no one thinks I disagree with your point! It wasn't what I was debating.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is interesting, I have not done any drugs. I have gotten many injections of morphine for kidney stones, but all I felt there was floating on a cloud, in a fog of well being. No revelations or other dimensions. Is that different on weed or other drugs?
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, that's completely your prerogative.

I just want to make sure that no one thinks I disagree with your point! It wasn't what I was debating.
    It's okay. Sorry if I went overboard. I have the tendency of doing that since my family has battled addiction for some time now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Smokers are okay, non-smokers are okay, anti-smokers suck. I hate people who whine when someone lights up, especially if it's in an open area where the smoke will affect nobody. I can understand in a confined space like a car but whining about smoke at a place like a concert or a restaurant's outdoor area is stupid.

Also a lit cigarette makes you 30% cooler, here let me show you this study by Philip Morris in 1967:

Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    Is that different on weed or other drugs?
    Yes, although different people have different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_22 View Post
    I have the tendency of doing that since my family has battled addiction for some time now.
    Sorry to hear that. I hope it works out for them.