0 Thread(s)
    smoking is banned in all public places in Ireland

theres nothing nice about smoking, yuck

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just going to stop responding as you have both completely misunderstood what I meant.

Littering is bad!!!

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hate it to the very depth of my soul, I can't stand it, it is disgusting, it sticks to my clothes, my home smells like an ashtray no matter how hard you try... Gee, I am allergic and it drives me crazy when someone smokes right in front of me.... And while I do respect the right of smoker to hurt himself, I can't understand why I should be hurt too...

Having said that, if someone smokes in front of me... do I say a word? No. Why? Because I live with two heavy smokers that no matter what I do or say, they simply can't quit.

It doesn't matter that one of their closest (and obviously close to mine, as we are familiy and live in the same house) died in a horrible way because of smoking... and it doesn't matter that one of them is dying slowly right in front my eyes, with an oxygen concentrator every few hours in the day, because of the same reason... they simply can't stop, and they both go to amazing lengths to get a cigarrette if they don't have it.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag View Post
    I am just going to stop responding as you have both completely misunderstood what I meant.

Littering is bad!!!
    Ok, when you think that people misunderstood what you said, there is only one way to rectify this: say so. So you did, and looking what you say now, does not make you appear indifferent in the way you stated it before.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    Those people that voted "complete disdain and intolerance" scare me.
    Be scared, Shaun, be really scared... I voted for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post

By that same right, I have no problem with people who smoke weed. Hell I'm from the f*ckin' islands!! That's practically Jamaica's cash crop!!
    Well, I do... smoking is being a socially accepted for a very long time, I guess because when Spaniards brought it from America they didn't know what they were doing

That's not the case with weed, and knowing what we know now, it is hard for me to accept that people completely brilliant in their works, and supposedly intelligent, smoke weed from time to time... Plus, althoug some of them, you don't see a big difference, but some others act really silly which annoys me very much.

Obviusly, there are lot of people in well paid jobs and high positions that use cocaine, so I guess humanity is just simply stupid, and I will have to accept it.

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Smile Human Stupidity knows no limits

Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    ... so I guess humanity is just simply stupid, and I will have to accept it.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, even though I'm not yet sure about the universe.
    - A. Einstein
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all do things that are unhealthy or bad for us in some other way, but we do them anyway because we enjoy pleasure. I don't have a problem with this, but when it starts to affect other people it starts to get dodgy.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    On our beaches we find the garbage that people who are indifferent to littering toss carelessly into the water, mainly from boats..
    We are SO lucky/careful/aware here. There is hardly any littering at all. You just don't see it. Because we have managed to keep the country beautiful, people have respect for it. It stuns me when I travel and see all the rubbish along the waterlines of otherwise beautiful beaches.

I am so grateful for where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    Aside from everything else, there is an explanation for flicking cigarette butts onto the road. Notice that I am saying butts on the road, not the sidewalk or entire ashtrays.
    I know a guy that carries a small tin around and puts his used butts in it. What's so damn hard about that? People learn to have some bloody respect. We ALL have to live in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
    I didn't vote, because there is no option for Ex-smokers, which is way different from Non-smokers. I'm so glad I quit. I'm never gonna start again, since I have no intention to go through quitting thing again. I feel so much better now.
    I agree Jelena. I'll never be a non-smoker - always an ex-smoker. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done as well as one of the achievements I'm most proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy View Post
    smoking is banned in all public places in Ireland
    Here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    We all do things that are unhealthy or bad for us in some other way, but we do them anyway because we enjoy pleasure. I don't have a problem with this, but when it starts to affect other people it starts to get dodgy.
    I agree. And I also believe that judging people for their choices just because they are not your choices is as dangerous as those choices themselves.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have what is called a stubby, which is a small fire-resistant pouch. If I ever find myself smoking outside then I have it to hand. My rucksack and me are inseparable. I don't understand why people consider all smokers litterbugs. I would never thow anything on the street other than the garbage (in bags of course) that's due to be collected the next morning.

Sure yes there is a problem of smokers just throwing their butts away without regard, and these are just the same people who would throw anything on the street/beach/forest floor. There must be the similar people who throw things on the floor without being smokers.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    There must be the similar people who throw things on the floor without being smokers.
    Hell yeah! The rubbish I was refering to in my post above tends to be food wrappers.

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sad thing is this (not littering) ought to be common sense, but people need the government and other people, friends and strangers, to hammer it into them. And even then some people don't get it.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

litter

Years back I had a job in a Texas plastic factory. The boss chewed tobacco and used to spit on the cement floor of the factory. So, one time we had a meeting in his office and my friends and I flicked our ashes on his floor. He got the message and after that spit into a cup when walking around the factory.
    Sometimes people just don't think about what they're doing until you let them know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    I have what is called a stubby, which is a small fire-resistant pouch. If I ever find myself smoking outside then I have it to hand. My rucksack and me are inseparable. I don't understand why people consider all smokers litterbugs. I would never thow anything on the street other than the garbage (in bags of course) that's due to be collected the next morning.

Sure yes there is a problem of smokers just throwing their butts away without regard, and these are just the same people who would throw anything on the street/beach/forest floor. There must be the similar people who throw things on the floor without being smokers.
    I am glad you carry this little stubby

And I do not think that most nonsmokers put all smokers into the same pot either

A quote from my own post:

I do not condemn smokers at all, I do condemn recklessness, people littering with the butts and blowing their smoke into my direction. But most smokers are really very considerate people. Some litter with the butts just like others litter with other garbage.
    Ulrike

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one smokes because they think it's good for you!
    In this day with all that knowledge, I just don't understand why young people pick it up.

It's easy to quit. I know a friend who's done it hundreds of times.

An old girlfriend, when we broke up, told me one of the things she was grateful to me for was getting her to quit smoking.

I have never smoked and no one in my family tree does.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to add:
    One thing that really irritates me is the people who leave work for a smoke break while I continue to work. Now that I own some restaurants, most of the people we employ smoke (why is that?). When I worked in the shops daily, my rule was no smoke breaks, but I was aware some of them would sneak out anyway, until I caught them.

Now that I have managers who run the places, they actually let them go out the back door to suck a quick one so they can continue to live.

Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkinT View Post
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, even though I'm not yet sure about the universe.
    - A. Einstein
    Well, I must be a genious then, if I am able to have the same thoughts a genious had...

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    One thing that really irritates me is the people who leave work for a smoke break while I continue to work
    Felt the same way so many times... people could leave the branch for a fag but I wasn't allowed to do it because I was a non smoker... what it really bugged me was that many times they needed to smoke at the busiest times. Since it were facing people directly, that put a lot of pressure because there were not enough people to attend everybody.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to put an objective expression on the subject's question, but being around smokers all my life and knowing how most of them think about things, I would have to say that I cannot stand them nor their damn smoke. I think they're inconsiderate almost 90% of the time and I personally feel they contribute to not only airbourne diseases and germs, but also, pollution.

This DOES NOT mean I hate these people. It simply means that I look down on them for what they do. I may be wrong for being like that, but I simply cannot help it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a smoker and I don't care either way because after all its their own life and they probably know what's good and what's bad for them but one thing I know that there nothing cool about smoking... it doesn't even give a high when a person smokes, its just smoking the life out of you. I think smoking pot would be better if they are looking for a high. Just a thought.

Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark07 View Post
    I think smoking pot would be better if they are looking for a high.
    Yep, I think that if you wanted a high you would smoke pot... Why would anyone would like to escape reality in that way is something I don't fully understand. But then, smokers do not smoke to get a high. Many start as teenagers to look cool and grown up, but afterwards they are just caught in the addiction, it calm their nerves and keep the hands busy, something good if you are nervous. And it is really hard to quit.

Still, it is a disgusting habit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't smoke - never have. I will only work in a smoke free office.

My father died of a smoking induced disease - if he hadn't smoked, in all probability I'd still have the pleasure of his company.

Knowing what we know now, I am continually surprised that otherwise intelligent people start smoking.

OK that had too much Britsh reserve in it - what the damn hell are people doing starting smoking? - They must all be retards! (with all due respect to retards).

Cigarettes are the only thing sold to consumers which, when used as they are supposed to be used, will kill you. I don't know how the people in sales and marketing at cigarette companies can sleep at night. Blood is on their hands for sure.

Mike

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Smoking Servers

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    I forgot to add:
    One thing that really irritates me is the people who leave work for a smoke break while I continue to work. Now that I own some restaurants, most of the people we employ smoke (why is that?). When I worked in the shops daily, my rule was no smoke breaks, but I was aware some of them would sneak out anyway, until I caught them.

Now that I have managers who run the places, they actually let them go out the back door to suck a quick one so they can continue to live.
    I agree with your rule. It is disgusting to imagine a server, who smells like a campfire, handling my food!
    I have no objection to fellow employees taking a smoke break. I also try to take breaks (I call them 'non-smoke' breaks) at about the same interval.
    My biggest objection is that I must walk through the stench in order to re-enter the building. (and I often see butts on the ground even though there is a disposal container right there)

Along the lines that littering is not only performed by smokers, I have seen too many times a crumpled reciept at the ATM; when there is a place for trash just one-step away. THAT is lazy (and inconsiderate). It also enrages me (and this is when I will speak up) when I see a group in a fast-food restaurant get up from a table and leave a huge mess behind.
    If only, in all we do, we took the attitude "leave it better than you found it", the world would be a whole lot nicer. And no one person would work any harder at it!
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only, in all we do, we took the attitude "leave it better than you found it", the world would be a whole lot nicer. And no one person would work any harder at it!
    Completely agree. ...If only...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is exactly the way I think and do. Many people are this way, but the ones that are not cause so much filth and also unnecessary work for the others.

When I walk the beach I take a bag with me to collect the trash which I then dispose of. Many of our residents do so. We also have a quarterly clean up Saturday, where people gather and comb the areas that tend to have this stuff.

Cigarette butts are everywhere. It is amazing and disgusting.
    Ulrike

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura
    Cigarette butts are everywhere. It is amazing and disgusting.
    We have cigarette butts, KFC boxes, styrotex containers, bottles from miscellaneous beer and softdrinks, snack packages, and the list goes on.

It amazes me how people can do this without a second thought !!

There's be a f*ckin' bin RIGHT THERE... Right f*ckin' there... Right across the street or maybe just a couple metres away but no... Trinis won't do it.

The sad thing is that for us it's not even about laziness or anything... it's about stubborness. It's because Trinis are supposed to be arrogant and not follow "wha' dem tell me to do".

I don't know if that's the root of it everywhere, but that's the main cause here.

I agree with Raffles... sometime you just feel like bashing some heads in!!

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona
    Be scared, Shaun, be really scared... I voted for that!
    haha... You mortified me from ever since.

That's not the case with weed, and knowing what we know now, it is hard for me to accept that people completely brilliant in their works, and supposedly intelligent, smoke weed from time to time...
    What you know is that you've been told.

I know these things first hand. I don't smoke weed (for the same reason I don't smoke cigarettes), but I lime with a lot of people who do.

Now it's true that some people can handle it and some people can't. The same way that some people can drink and remain normal and some people drink and act like jack*sses.

Very few people (in my experience, at least) are inclined to get completely useless when they're high. Very few.

Obviusly, there are lot of people in well paid jobs and high positions that use cocaine, so I guess humanity is just simply stupid, and I will have to accept it.
    Now cocaine on the other hand...

Cocaine and weed are two completely different things.

Coke is definately one of the factors that contribute crime.

Don't confuse the two... they're not all the same.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse