Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

cigs

I started smoking at 14 years old and smoked an average of 30 / day for 16 years (more when drinking, which was often). I once saw a cigarette delivery truck and was able to calculate that all the cigarettes I smoked would fill a tractor trailer and a half!
    Quiting was the hardest and best thing I ever did (or, as the saying goes, "Quitting is easy, staying quit is hard.").
    But, it still amazes me how the "second hand smoke" thing can even be presented as an argument. Try breathing behind your car or over your flue and tell me someone else's cigarette is poisoning the air more than you are.

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag
    Well first let me say that I would never empty my ashtray on the street. So this situation will hopefully never occur.

Though yes that is what I meant, if someone took trash (no matter if it is butts and ashes or a candy bar wrapper) and threw it into my car (even if I had just littered it myself) I would take action. Would I call the police and report it, no probably not, I would hastily overact with violence most likely.
    In theory though, don't you think you deserve to have it thrown back in your car if you consciously decide to be too lazy to wait to dispose of it in the proper place instead of throwing it into the road? If not, what do you think is acceptable?

And if you saw someone do this, would you rather go through the "proper channels" and complain to the police that someone emptied their ashtray on the road? They're not going to do anything about it unless they were there watching at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    You're right, that's not nice, and childish. I've been angry all day and this thread just made me angrier. I regret saying that.
    That's more like our raffles.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I injoy smoking because it keeps my 3RD brain ocupied
    Just kidding
    We should all try to quit so we can drive the new cars comming out
    hydrogen or ????
    Fresh Life Ministries A New Social Network
    http://freshlifeministries.org/
    Rev. Leslie posey
    http://www.nitenet.net/flm/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't smoke, but I don't care.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a child all of my family and extended family smoked. The rooms had blue air that could be cut. Naturally I started smoking at the age of 15 and became a heavy smoker for 12 years. Then, when I truly reached my age of reason, I stopped cold turkey. I was so disgusted with myself, with the terrible hold this addiction had on me, I just could not take this any longer.

I had a lot of other issues I had to deal with at that time, I took a huge step and took care of all of it at once. I remade myself. I had finally become an adult. I have been smoke free for 35 years now and am so very glad I was able to shake it.

Smoke per se does not bother me that much, I like to smell a good cigar, even stick my nose into fresh tobacco because I love this smell. It reminds me of the time when we grew our own tobacco in our little garden right after WW II. We used to cut those huge leaves and dry them in the rafters, after that I had the job to cut it with this huge paper cutter and roll the cigarettes by hand in this little device for my parents. So I learned early to like it.

I do not condemn smokers at all, I do condemn recklessness, people littering with the butts and blowing their smoke into my direction. But most smokers are really very considerate people. Some litter with the butts just like others litter with other garbage.

I hope that people will wake up and have the gumption to quit. It is very very hard. To this day I dream of smoking, it still has a grip on me. But I will never in my life smoke again, I am stronger than this urge.
    Last edited by Datura; Nov 7, 2007 at 23:00.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's it...

*ssh*les would be *ssh*les... whether they're holding cigarettes or not.

These days the whole anti-smoking marketing drive is villifying any person with a roll of tobacco in his/her hand as the child of Satan !!... Killing the innocent and choking the babies!!

It's a symptom of the way we seem to always classify people.

People are people. That's it. One huge grouping.

Everyone has a right to be happy and do what feels good for themselves, provided it doesn't harm or hinder anyone else. Those people that voted "complete disdain and intolerance" scare me.

By that same right, I have no problem with people who smoke weed. Hell I'm from the f*ckin' islands!! That's practically Jamaica's cash crop!! haha

It's all the other illegal activities that go with it that bother me.

As far as cigarettes go, it's the smell and the dis-comfort that bother me. Not necessarily the people.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post

By that same right, I have no problem with people who smoke weed. Hell I'm from the f*ckin' islands!! That's practically Jamaica's cash crop!! haha

It's all the other illegal activities that go with it that bother me.

Yep, same here. I am fully for legalization myself, would not use the stuff, but crime around this thing would vanish IMO. Can not discuss this deeper though, politics rears its ugly head again.
    Ulrike

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In theory though, don't you think you deserve to have it thrown back in your car if you consciously decide to be too lazy to wait to dispose of it in the proper place instead of throwing it into the road? If not, what do you think is acceptable?
    While I cannot condone littering, I cannot say that someone who does litter deserves to have it thrown back at them.
    And if you saw someone do this, would you rather go through the "proper channels" and complain to the police that someone emptied their ashtray on the road? They're not going to do anything about it unless they were there watching at the time.
    Even though I do not condone such acts, I am really indifferent to it. If I see someone litter I could care less. I would not even consider calling the police for such a thing, nor would I pursue any action on my own.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag View Post
    ) Even though I do not condone such acts, I am really indifferent to it. If I see someone litter I could care less. I would not even consider calling the police for such a thing, nor would I pursue any action on my own.
    On our beaches we find the garbage that people who are indifferent to littering toss carelessly into the water, mainly from boats.. We also find many dead birds, fish and turtles that were injured or prevented from feeding because this garbage got into their bellies, choked them, pierced them, poisoned them. Cigarette butts float around, people stick them into the sand. The same garbage is polluting the rivers, the cities, the world.

I can not be indifferent about this. We are drowning in garbage, it is revolting.
    Ulrike

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from everything else, there is an explanation for flicking cigarette butts onto the road. Notice that I am saying butts on the road, not the sidewalk or entire ashtrays.

There used to be a time when upon arriving at work there was a nice clean ashtray on the desk.

There was no need to try to walk and smoke at the same time. The smoking got done at the destination or before you left. Now, you can't do that because the street is about all you have left.

All kinds of organisations took the advent of smoking controls as a trigger to cut costs by eliminating ashtrays and the costs of cleaning ashtrays. Hence, cigarette butts on the street. Have you ever tried to find an ashtray? Can't put it in the garbage can because the ash is still hot.

At least it won't stick to your shoes like chewing gum on a hot summer day!

So, since we still have trash cans, what's the excuse for all those half empty water bottles and StarBucks coffee cups?

And what's with water anyways? I remember when people could actually get through the day without carrying around a baby bottle full of water. The greatest marketing scam of all time, branded tap water at a cost greater than refined gasoline.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jelena's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't vote, because there is no option for Ex-smokers, which is way different from Non-smokers. I'm so glad I quit. I'm never gonna start again, since I have no intention to go through quitting thing again. I feel so much better now.

Smokers do stink to me now. What annoys me is that I stink too when I'm sitting with smokers and I always have to throw my clothes to washing machine after it.
    -- Jelena --

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im a nonsmoker and a lot of my friends are smokers. I tell you one of the telling marks that you have a loyal nonsmokinf friend is when they go home, smell their smoked clothes and still think of you as friends.

I have ceased spending my energy from dissuading them from smoking. It looks cool but it still is downright disgusting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I cannot condone littering, I cannot say that someone who does litter deserves to have it thrown back at them. Even though I do not condone such acts, I am really indifferent to it. If I see someone litter I could care less. I would not even consider calling the police for such a thing, nor would I pursue any action on my own.
    Like Datura, I cannot be indifferent. This is your world as well, why don't you care if people make a mess of it? Or is it only your little corner of it (your house) that matters? It's easy to sound like a tree-hugging hippie, but this is an attitude I can't comprehend.

I'm curious. Is it only in the city, or would you be equally indifferent if you saw someone emptying an ashtray onto a white-sanded beach, a forest floor or the Arctic tundra?

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce
    All kinds of organisations took the advent of smoking controls as a trigger to cut costs by eliminating ashtrays and the costs of cleaning ashtrays. Hence, cigarette butts on the street. Have you ever tried to find an ashtray? Can't put it in the garbage can because the ash is still hot.
    I can't agree with this. As a smoker, it is your responsibility to dispose of it properly. It's not hard to extinguish a cigarette and then put it in the bin. My father does this. He will either step on the cigarette and then pick it up and put it in the bin or he will put it out against the side of the bin. In England lots of bins now have special compartments for cigarettes and even special bins attached to lamp posts specifically for cigarettes and chewing gum. Even so, it's your responsibility to dispose of your rubbish. Saying "the government hasn't provided me with an effortless means to dispose of my cigarette butts" is no excuse.
    So, since we still have trash cans, what's the excuse for all those half empty water bottles and StarBucks coffee cups?
    There is no excuse. It's just as bad.
    And what's with water anyways? I remember when people could actually get through the day without carrying around a baby bottle full of water. The greatest marketing scam of all time, branded tap water at a cost greater than refined gasoline.
    I couldn't agree more. The waste is just mind-boggling.

Denmark has it well sorted out. They have four or five standard plastic bottle sizes. When you buy your drink, you pay a bit extra (2Kr, about 20p, $0.40, at least in 2002) and then when you return the bottle you get the money back. The bottle gets reused because it's made of quite hard and durable plastic. Doing all this is not difficult, there are machines where you just put the bottles in and they gives you money.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    At least it won't stick to your shoes like chewing gum on a hot summer day!
    No, but where I'm from discarded cigarettes on a hot summer day have been blamed for plenty of fires. A lot of destruction caused because a smoker would rather chuck their cigarette on the ground or out the car window than stub it and bin it later.

I don't smoke and don't have any great problem with others that smoke (as long as they don't do it in my face), but do have a problem with anyone that thinks littering is ok.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am amazed when people say it's very hard to quit smoking. It really isn't . I have done it so many times.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our bodies are all different, as is our strength of character, willpower and all that sort of thing. Some people are likely to be addicted by it much much more than others.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kailash Badu View Post
    I am amazed when people say it's very hard to quit smoking. It really isn't . I have done it so many times.
    hahaha Oldie but goodie
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel stupid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel stupid.
    Why? You are a very smart guy with strong convictions
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why thank you. I didn't get the joke. I will next time though!

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Flick your butts no more

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    Aside from everything else, there is an explanation for flicking cigarette butts onto the road. Notice that I am saying butts on the road, not the sidewalk or entire ashtrays.

There used to be a time when upon arriving at work there was a nice clean ashtray on the desk.
    I recall a time, in the US, when the 'street cleaner' would come by every week and care for anything that was left at the curb. This is where the idea of (and there were signs at one time) "Curb your dog" is derived. It was acceptable and expected that your dog would do-his-duty at the curb so the street cleaner could dispose of it properly. At that time smokers could also flick their butts at the curb. This is what began (IMHO) the 'habit' of flicking the used cigarette butt in the street.
    As has been said here, mere laziness and disregard for the world has caused a lot of people to drop all sorts of trash (gum, wrappers, receipts, cigarettes, I have even seen people drop their junk-mail at the community mailbox!) whereever they stand!
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    On our beaches we find the garbage that people who are indifferent to littering toss carelessly into the water, mainly from boats..
    No, you find the garbage from people who actually littered, not the people who are indifferent to it.

We also find many dead birds, fish and turtles that were injured or prevented from feeding because this garbage got into their bellies, choked them, pierced them, poisoned them. Cigarette butts float around, people stick them into the sand. The same garbage is polluting the rivers, the cities, the world.
    This is terrible, but what is it you think I can do about it?

I can not be indifferent about this. We are drowning in garbage, it is revolting.
    I did not condone it, I just said that if I saw someone doing it I would not call the authorities or react with violence and throw it back at them.

Like Datura, I cannot be indifferent. This is your world as well, why don't you care if people make a mess of it? Or is it only your little corner of it (your house) that matters?
    There is a bigger mess being made of our world (politics not allowed) than some small trash being thrown out a car window.

I'm curious. Is it only in the city, or would you be equally indifferent if you saw someone emptying an ashtray onto a white-sanded beach, a forest floor or the Arctic tundra?
    I would still not call the authorities or react with violence at any of these locations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you find the garbage from people who actually littered, not the people who are indifferent to it.
    Same thing. Indifference breeds this littering, like all indifference to things that are wrong fosters the act of doing wrong.

This is terrible, but what is it you think I can do about it?
    By keeping quiet you let them get away with this. If you know that a person or group does something wrong, speak up. You might turn indifference to actual caring.

In history there are many examples how indifference to a wrong has created a huge mess. So it is with littering.

I did not condone it, I just said that if I saw someone doing it I would not call the authorities or react with violence and throw it back at them.
    But by staying quiet you imply condoning it. I agree with you that a violent act is not the right thing to do, but that is why we have authorities to enforce the law. I grant you, it might seem trivial to run to the police about content of an ashtray that was dumped, but silence is not the way to deal with this.

I myself speak up and point this out to people who do stupid things like this, most of the time I just get the finger of course, but in some cases it did work. People are often just thoughtless and have to be made aware of the damage they are creating with their carelessness.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a bigger mess being made of our world (politics not allowed) than some small trash being thrown out a car window.
    Where do you draw the line then? At what point does the size of the mess start to be of concern to you?

The thing is, if everyone starts throwing "small trash" about, then the world would be one enormous rubbish dump. Fortunately, most people don't, but there are still enough people who do to make it a problem.

If you care, the best way to stop any mess from happening is to deal with it on a personal, local scale.
    I would still not call the authorities or react with violence at any of these locations.
    I don't understand why you perceive throwing cigarette butts back into someone's car as a violent act. It's not hurting the person in the vehicle at all, merely causing them a deserved annoyance and hopefully teaching them a lesson.