Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

How do you feel about Smoking?

Are you a smoker?
    Do you have a particular opinion about working with people who smoke?
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im a part time smoker myself, yet i can understand if people dont want to work around smokers. But as a smoker its obvious that you have to accept that and just not smoke it the office or around your colleauges.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c5_m4r5h4l_ View Post
    Im a part time smoker myself
    What do you mean by part time?
    Quote Originally Posted by c5_m4r5h4l_ View Post
    yet i can understand if people dont want to work around smokers. But as a smoker its obvious that you have to accept that and just not smoke it the office or around your colleauges.
    Unless the boss is also a smoker, then the tables are turned, Muhahahahahaha!!!!

No really I do not intentionally try to smoke around non smokers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag View Post
    What do you mean by part time?
    He probably means that he's an occasional smoke who smokes when he goes out, for example, I know some people who do it.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well I smoke, but I don't do it at the workplace. I don't join those who frequently go outside and have a quick fag. Personally, I don't feel that desparate need like some others do. I also try to make sure that my clothes dont reek of ashtray either, as that's perhaps just as uncomfortable for some people, and I don't like it myself. Even going to the pub after work, when others smoke, I generally don't, even though they know I smoke.

SitePoint Addict silentcollision's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fine with you participating in it yourself, just don't subject those around you to it.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm one of those really annoying people who gave up and now can't stand it!
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Borozdin View Post
    He probably means that he's an occasional smoke who smokes when he goes out, for example, I know some people who do it.
    I spend more time during the day not smoking than I spend smoking but I consider myself to be a smoker, neither full or part time, just a smoker.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I smoke, if I do it's up to me. I dont smoke around the kids and I dont smoke around my boss (who doesnt smoke).
    If someone asks me not to smoke I wont.

Fair enough?
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done too much biology to smoke now. I've seen some very blackened lungs and other disgusting stuff live and in the flesh.

That said I have no problem with smokers... I don't have "complete disdain or lack of tolerance" toward someone who smokes. It's their life and their choice.

I DO have a problem with persons smoking around me, though... but that's just because of my ego and the whole dis-courtesy of it.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to smoke but quit years ago. I survived a triple-stroke this year and just that experience alone made realize how much of a bummer smoking is! I enjoyed smoking, but the potential (sometimes likely) health impacts are just too great.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Can you describe the ruckus? silver trophy MissLee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quit cold turkey seven years ago after smoking about two packs a day for sixteen years.

Second-hand smoke usually doesn't bother me much but when it does, it really does; then there are other times when it smells so good that I miss it. I think my biggest pet peeve about it now is when my clothes and hair smell of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm ready to quit.. in 5 minutes. t_T
    <3php && SitePoint ?>

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I keep saying that too, one day that 5 minutes may come along!
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't stand it to be quite frank. I hate it when smokers complain about their freedoms being trampled on when they are told to go and smoke somewhere else because it's annoying the non-smokers (as well as affecting everyone's health). I'm not annoying smokers or degrading their health by not smoking, am I? Thus there is absolutely nothing to argue about. Take the disgusting habit elsewhere or wait until there is somewhere where you can do it elsewhere without bothering others.

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    I can't stand it to be quite frank. I hate it when smokers complain about their freedoms being trampled on when they are told to go and smoke somewhere else because it's annoying the non-smokers (as well as affecting everyone's health). I'm not annoying smokers or degrading their health by not smoking, am I? Thus there is absolutely nothing to argue about. Take the disgusting habit elsewhere or wait until there is somewhere where you can do it elsewhere without bothering others.
    What annoys me more is the (apparent) attitude that the world is the smokers' ashtray. I am disgusted and angered when I watch a smoker simply flick a butt in the street or (worse) empty an automobile ashtray at a stoplight!
    It amuses me to watch someone, driving in an automobile, dangling an arm with a cigarette out the car window. You don't mind smoking but don't want it to "stink up" your car? You think by keeping it outside the car your clothes and breath and teeth will NOT smell like tobacco?
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! I have seen both those things. The emptying of the cigarette tray just defies belief. A friend once witnessed that and got out of his car, scooped it all up and threw it back in through the open window. The smoker got into a fit of rage but stayed in her car; my friend just calmly walked back to his and drove off. If she hasn't learnt the lesson, I hope she gets lung cancer. I mean it.

With most smokers there seems to be the idea that cigarette butts don't count as litter, which is truly disgusting. The same goes for people who chew gum and spit it out on the pavement/road.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    I'm an ex-smoker. I'm glad I've managed to kick it, but I respect that there are people that don't want to.

I get sick of hearing people go on at smokers about why they do it and how bad it is. Don't they think smokers know that? No one smokes because they think it's good for you!

But people that choose not to smoke shouldn't be subjected to it in any way, shape or form.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I quit nearly 1.5 years ago, after smoking up to 60-70 cigarettes a day. average 50 a day for 13 years.

in a period of less than 2 years i lost 5 of my nearest family to cancer, way too early. and even 2 of them never smoked i figured out enough is enough and stopped.

i just stopped a day and there has not been a day i have wanted to smoke again, but what people do, it's up to them.

first i quit smoking and then in just 2.5 months i also lost 68 pounds. when i stopped smoking i went from coffee to tea and started bicycling, jogging and took up martial arts again. besides this i climb (both summer and winter)and snowboard among other things.

after i reached my goal i went back to drinking coffee again.

it doesnt bother me if people smoke, and it didnt bother me before i started to smoke myself. if people wanna smoke it's up to them and if it bothers us, then we can tell or we can go a few steps away. there should be room for both of us...
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smoking is bad for you. I used to smoke but I quit. Waste of money, never was addicted.
    Love pets? Why not discuss virtual pets?
    Contact me on Twitter @cpvr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t0WL337 View Post
    I'm ready to quit.. in 5 minutes. t_T
    lol.. hey, I was going to say something like that

either way.. brb

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The emptying of the cigarette tray just defies belief. A friend once witnessed that and got out of his car, scooped it all up and threw it back in through the open window. The smoker got into a fit of rage but stayed in her car; my friend just calmly walked back to his and drove off.
    I would not have stayed in my car. I would have (at least) written down their license plate and turned it into the police. Your friend sounds like a real class act.

If she hasn't learnt the lesson, I hope she gets lung cancer. I mean it.
    Wow, we're you abused as a child by a litering smoker or what? I mean this sort of talk is really scary. Hoping someone dies is a really weird way to think, what does your psychiatrist say? Are the pills not working? Hopefully noone will ever wish death (and suffering) on you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If she hasn't learnt the lesson, I hope she gets lung cancer. I mean it.
    I think that is one of the saddest and vilest things I have ever read.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right, that's not nice, and childish. I've been angry all day and this thread just made me angrier. I regret saying that.

Despite that, selfish and pig-ignorant acts like those, which are not uncommon, are probably among the ones that make me most angry, and depressed as well I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag
    Wow, we're you abused as a child by a litering smoker or what? I mean this sort of talk is really scary. Hoping someone dies is a really weird way to think, what does your psychiatrist say?
    I don't think like that. Haven't you ever said anything stupid when you were angry? But my aunt and grandfather have died from lung cancer, both smokers. Not that I count that as abuse, but it's definitely contributed towards my apathy towards smoking.

And I don't like taking pills, they give me indigestion.

I would not have stayed in my car. I would have (at least) written down their license plate and turned it into the police. Your friend sounds like a real class act.
    Do you mean you would have written my friend's license plate down? I don't see anything wrong with his actions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean you would have written my friend's license plate down? I don't see anything wrong with his actions.
    Well first let me say that I would never empty my ashtray on the street. So this situation will hopefully never occur.

Though yes that is what I meant, if someone took trash (no matter if it is butts and ashes or a candy bar wrapper) and threw it into my car (even if I had just littered it myself) I would take action. Would I call the police and report it, no probably not, I would hastily overact with violence most likely.