Hybrid View

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Less blocky look desired

Hi,

I would really like some input on how I can make this page look alot less blocky using CSS or is that possible.

Any input at all would be fantastic

http://www.askaboutvalidation.com/featured_articles.php

Regards

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hmm, your page is basically lots of lists of links, and lists of articles, and lists of ads. So, there will always be a boxy-ness just because of the content.

However, by setting borders and caps on your boxes, you are ensuring that your boxes look more boxy : ) You could, for instance, let either the google ads OR the link list on the left sit free-- in a box without the top cap and border (I wouldn't do it to both).

You could, by using two images (or four, if this is liquid... and could add loading time to your site) set a thick border around the whole page which, on the inside corners, is rounded. The logo and the google searches would sit in there. The remaining box caps could be changes to rounded images (sliding doors style if you also need the widths to expand).

The menu... you could be the most creative there. You could for example make each menu item look like a pill (oblong but rounded). You could also make them more wild in position.

The boxiness of your site, and the lack of images too, makes it appealing because it looks very simple and easy to navigate and read. Whatever you do to remove boxiness, always chekc to see if you've muddled the page by doing it.

It wouldn't hurt to add an actual image, too. Depending on how serious you want it, it could be something superfluous, like a computer mouse.

For fun, ask people in the graphic design forums to come up with various "less boxy" versions of your site. Do a contest : )

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Stomme poes

Thanks for your input you gave me some very interesting points