User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Evangelist kooshin.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blogging without allowing comments.

hi guys, i was wondering what do you think of a blog that doesn't allow users to post comments? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Let me know your ideas

thanks in advance.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for me they are just preventing spam so there's nothing wrong about that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah that is what i think of. I really don't see a need to enable comments because simple there are too many spammers I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would prefer a blog with comments turned on. It enables dialogue. If you have a decent spam filter turned on, you can get rid of most of the spam. Consider turning off when spam becomes a real issue.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comment allow building relationship with your readers. For me it's very important.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it is extremely important to allow commenting. For me blogging is all about the conversation and if comments aren't enabled, you're just talking to yourself
    Sara

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been discussed before. I think comments are important but then again, it depends on how you view blogging and the role of your blog. If it is simply an outlet for information, then there should be no need for comments, the readers can simply send an e-mail requesting information.

However, it does create a relationship with your readers and may entice them to return to your blog.

I personally do not have comments enabled, but then again, I wrote my blogging tool myself back when it was just getting popular. Guess it's time for a rewrite or a change in tools.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hartmann has some good points. If the blog is information on product or service i would not allow them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the size of the audience should dictate if you have comments or not. For small blogs, comments are very important. They are a very convenient way for readers to contact you, and they show right there other people are interacting with your blog.

For mid-sized to large blogs, community interaction should be moved to a forum, and moderators appointed to deal with trolls and spammers. Unless you are a cartoonist that writes about an egg-shaped engineer and his talking dog. Then letting your readers abuse you is half the fun.

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps try a login system with a CAPTCHA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Many blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject; others function as more personal online diaries. A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, web pages, and other media related to its topic. The ability for readers to leave comments in an interactive format is an important part of many blogs. Most blogs are primarily textual, although some focus on art (artlog), photographs (photoblog), sketchblog, videos (vlog), music (MP3 blog), audio (podcasting) and are part of a wider network of social media. Micro-blogging is another type of blogging which consists of blogs with very short posts."
    What's your blog about?
    Art is older than production for use, and play older than work.

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Allowing comments is really important for a blog!
    preventing spam with good moderation and powerful scripts is a must too
    Comments will make a blog better and with more content....
    and the visitor is no longer a mere consumer but also a producer... that's the true spirit of Web 2.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have comments enabled on my blog, but no-one comments
    Singapore Web Designer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second that jimbo Here I'll leave a comment there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi thanks for all the ideas. The only problem is that I don't see a decent way or a good script that can prevent spam

SpacePhoenix , where can I get such script if I were to use Wordpress? Does it come with it?

I did create a blog some time ago but had little time to make it active but now am thinking of making it active but still i receive a lot of emails telling me to moderate the comments which 99.99% of them are meaningless.

So if there is a sure way that will take less time to moderate then I will for sure enable it but if not am not sure what will I do.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read Seth Godin's blog which has no comments because I want to know what he has to say. Doesn't matter if I can respond with a box at the end of each entry or not. But if he had less interesting things to say, then a dialog might make the experience more interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that looks nice and I guess it will take sometime for the visitors to get used to it but once they do then they will not care about commenting I guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kooshin.com View Post
    Yeah that looks nice and I guess it will take sometime for the visitors to get used to it but once they do then they will not care about commenting I guess
    That's an assumption ... to me a blog is supposed to be personal and interactive. I see a blog with comments are closed or comments are turned off then I wonder why. Is it to prevent spam? No, there are better ways to do that. Is it an automated blog or scraped content? Probably! My assumption is that the person does not want to bother with approving comments, so why would s/he bother with the posts?

So I see comments not allowed, I don't bookmark and I don't subscribe to RSS feeds.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allowing comments is to me, more of an interactive thing. It gets the viewers/clents involved. For a blogger, it shows him what kinds of posts are popular, and if a post needs another supplementary post for the discussion to be wide.

The blogger learns from the comments too. Having the comments turned off is to me, is like a lone man who talks and talks but doesn't want to hear, doesn't want to learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilks_eye View Post
    Allowing comments is to me, more of an interactive thing. It gets the viewers/clents involved. For a blogger, it shows him what kinds of posts are popular, and if a post needs another supplementary post for the discussion to be wide.

The blogger learns from the comments too. Having the comments turned off is to me, is like a lone man who talks and talks but doesn't want to hear, doesn't want to learn.
    I fully agree. What's the point of blogging if it's not going to be interactive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilks_eye View Post
    A few of the blogs I read have no comment feature--however, the author responds very promptly to e-mails. One of these blogs is a political one which includes some fairly hot-button issues. By leaving the comments turned off and requiring that a person actually look up the e-mail address and open another application, it reduces the number of knee-jerk responses. And it does it without putting the burden on the author (having to wade through all the comments and moderate them).

I almost never read comments. With the exception of friends' personal blogs, I'm there to read what the author has to say, not to wade through a list of uneducated opinions and BS games.
    M Blaze Miskulin
    President
    Geek Niche Web Hosting

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi thanks for all the ideas. The only problem is that I don't see a decent way or a good script that can prevent spam
    A hidden div with a form field in it would do the trick. If the form field gets filled in, it's more than likely spam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SpacePhoenix , where can I get such script if I were to use Wordpress? Does it come with it?

I did create a blog some time ago but had little time to make it active but now am thinking of making it active but still i receive a lot of emails telling me to moderate the comments which 99.99% of them are meaningless.
    Wordpress comes with Akismet pre-installed. You'll need to get an API key from the creators for it to work, but it's free for single-user blogs. Besides that, there's dozens of comment moderation and bot-tripping plugins on the net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    I read Seth Godin's blog which has no comments because I want to know what he has to say. Doesn't matter if I can respond with a box at the end of each entry or not. But if he had less interesting things to say, then a dialog might make the experience more interesting.
    Seth Godin can pull this off because his target audience is supposed to have blogs and answer him there.

And, of course, the man is fracking brilliant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby-lang View Post
    Seth Godin can pull this off because his target audience is supposed to have blogs and answer him there.

And, of course, the man is fracking brilliant.
    Yups. If he allowed comments on his blog, it would be a full-time job moderating them. Not all of us are Seth Godin though.

Off Topic:

Haha....thanks for commenting AudiS2
    Singapore Web Designer