SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry CSS works locally, fails remotely

The site I am working on, here
    links to an external stylesheet. Here's the problem. I run Linux and can see the stylesheet just fine with the same browsers I use to surf the web, using the same webserver as my hosting service. On the remote version of the site, I can't see the stylesheet, even though the link to it is right there in "view source." A friend of mine who also runs linux can't see it either. I got on a windows box and looked at it in IE and saw the stylesheet. This would lead me to believe I had my browser set up wrong, but then why can I see the site on my server and not on my hosting service's? I would especially like to hear from any linux people who can see the stylesheet, but this is driving me batty, so if anyone has an idea of what the problem is, please talk to me.
    Last edited by daliren; Feb 28, 2002 at 20:53.
    cheers,

Darren Cassidy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried using the full path already? Say if your CSS would be in /includes/css/ ..

Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/includes/css/stylev2.css" type="text/css" />
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see it fine in Opera on Windows. Have you tried other browsers on Linux? The only thing I can think of is either a bug or that part of the spec isn't implemented correctly in the browser you used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

absolute path / other browsers

the stylesheet is in the same directory as the web pages, but I tried using the absolute path anyway and that didn't do anything. So far the browsers I have used on my machine have been galeon 1.0.3, mozilla 0.9.8, and Netscape 4.78, which sees it the same, messed up way both home and abroad, of course (does not support table attributes), but at least it sees something. Like I said before, the windows machine I looked on could see the stylesheet.
    cheers,

Darren Cassidy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

got it!

Well, not really. I never figured out the problem, just switched to an embedded css, but since all of my pages are built off of a single template, it's pretty much the same as a linked css, plus I got browser detection built in...
    cheers,

Darren Cassidy