User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting from scratch- no database experience

Hi everyone,

I have absolutely NO database experience. I couldn't tell you the difference between php and mySQL if my pants were on fire. But I'm aware that at some point I'll need to dive into SOMETHING database-oriented if I want to move beyond my collection of small-site clients.

Now may be the time! I received an email from a perspective client who wants a very basic site, with the addition of an inventory-style listing of 400+ items. To simplify things, he doesn't want to sell anything online, doesn't want or need shopping cart or any of that, he merely wants a database listing of stuff.

I'm thinking that maybe I can offer him my services at a steep discount in order to get my toes wet, but I really don't know where to begin, or if it's realistic to believe I can work something out for him within a month or so, as a beginner.

I should mention that I'm a competent designer/pseudo programmer with four years of experience, so I'd like to believe I can take this on.

So whatcha think? Thanks in advance for your comments!
    "The absence of flaw in beauty is itself a flaw." Havelock Ellis

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that is a great place to start. The 400+ items might be a duanting task but I think you could pull it off even as a beginner. If you ever need any help feel free to contact me at Exp520@aol.com (AIM: EXP520). I like the oppurtunity to help out new PHP programmers that are serious about learning.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from u'r description the site doesnt seems to be too complicated to program.
    posting both here and in other forums in this site can help alot, and beside that, a variation of almost any questions u may have usually has an answer (with some changes it might be applied to u'r situation). just use the search option. thats a gr8 place to start when u have any question.
    enjoy and lots of luck.
    Shanor
    You can't see your self in the mirror with your eyes closed!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for your replies. I'm going to give it a shot, and I'm sure I'll be back with many more questions.

This is an incredible helpful and friendly forum, I'll have to post more often.