Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photo Gallery

Hi,
    I'd really appreciate feedback on my new site:
    http://mstainsby.freehostia.com/
    Its a pure css photographic gallery driven by php. It also incorporates a few other technologies such as XMP meta data and XML.
    Cheers
    Mike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By The Way...

"Not much support for IE yet...
    I'll be making a separate stylesheet specifically for IE soon.
    Should be good in opera, firefox, camino etc."

Whoops, scrub that. Just realised i'd uploaded my new 'work in progress' version CSS file by mistake. Should be working in everything (to a point), but could however have many bugs.
    Last edited by Buchow; Nov 7, 2007 at 09:07. Reason: Error

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The logo is a bit plane, but I think it is fine for the type of site this is. The real focus here is on the pictures and how you are presenting them. I would recommend giving the logo a bit of a makeover. Something as simple as changing the color of a letter or two can really make it stand out in peoples minds.

Is that a custom gallery or is it something you downloaded and setup? I do not recognise the script but it works very well and looks amazing. There was a bit of a load delay on IE6, the picture had no background and you could see the text under it. Once it all loaded I had the grey background and it worked fine.

The picture are laid out very well, and navigation is simple, though I would have liked to see a Back or Home button when viewing the single image. Minor issue but it would help to tie it all together.

Great job

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hi calash,
    thanks for the comments, you've raised some valid points. And no I didn't download the gallery, its all my own work.

As for the blank background, well spotted, I hadn't realised this was happening. I can just set a background color which will show until the background image has loaded.

I think your probably right about the logo, I was trying to stay simple as possible to help promote the content but maybe it is a little too simple.

You mentioned about a lack of back or home button, but i'd tried to avoid this by using the image as a 'back' link, it says underneath the image 'Click Image To Go Back'.
    Is this not clear enough? If you didn't notice it then it probably isn't.
    I'll start drawing some buttons...

Thanks again, feedback really helps.
    Mike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Great Pics!

I really like your work. Fabulous!

I agree re: the logo...maybe jazz it up just a bit.

I like the layout alot.

The site loaded slow for me also.

The (More Info) buttons link at the top of the enlarged pics does not work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is very impressive for being your own work...great job

I did not notice the text at the bottom of the image, but I did find out when I clicked the image and it took me back. Looking at it now you may be able to just increase the font size a bit so it stands out more.

The (More Info) is giving a hover popup in Firefox, I did not test it in IE so I am not sure if it is broken there or not.

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very much like the CSS-only image galleries over at css-play.co.uk, did that serve as inspiration at all?

One problem is that, for instance, when I click an image from "seascapes" and then try to go back, I get the introductory blurb instead of the gallery I had just been on. Somewhat annoying. This is where CSS's shortcomings become apparent and where either doing things a bit more on the server side or with Javascript become attractive, advisable or necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a pity that your site can't be appeared here in PRC.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mike,
    the site looks really quite well done - the script you're using look pretty cool.

However, the one thing that I would do slightly differently is to change the menu bar from hover over action to click actions.

Just my 2 cents.
    Paul.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Wow, what a load of great advice.

CSPro - you mentioned that the (More Info) link at the top of the enlarged pics does not work. Unfortunately this is due to IE, I haven't made it totally cross-browser compatible yet, but it is on my agenda.
    You also mentioned that the site was slow to load, When you say slow, do you mean 'Too Slow' or it was just a little slow?

unfortunaltly this is one shortcoming of the design as it loads all the thumbnails at once. Getting around this would mean recreating the site using an alternate technology. (unless anyone knows different).

Raffles - I hadn't actually seen the galleries on CSS-play before, but after looking at them just now I wish I had! It would have saved me many hours. I took the idea from a few galleries and a news site I had seen that used a similiar layout, only they used JavaScript (I think) so I decided to try and make a pure CSS one.

Paul33 - Changing from Hover interaction to Active is an option, I'll try it and see how it feels, personally I like the hover interaction but that may just be me. I'll try and sort out and alternate link so you can try it out and see what you think.

Thanks Everyone!

Necromancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if you want still more comments but anyway...

The site loaded quickly enough for me, perhaps a tad on the slow side but not enough to worry about. However I don't think you'd want to have too many more thumbnails per page or it would become a problem.

Personally I don't like the "Click image to go back" option. It was clear enough but it's counter-intuitive. I feel I should be clicking the image to "go that way", e.g. download the image or zoom in or something. Instead it feels like I'm clicking forward to go backwards. I think a separate back button/link would be better, probably above the image rather than below.

I'm not completely sure whether I like the mouseover navigation. I think it's okay, it was just a little unexpected.

On the whole, very nice work though. Good clean layout. The problem with a lot of gallery scripts I auditioned recently is that they have far too many options and links everywhere. I was looking for something that just showed the images neatly and simply, letting them speak for themselves. I like that about your script. Good luck with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buchow View Post
    Hi,
    I'd really appreciate feedback on my new site:
    http://mstainsby.freehostia.com/
    Its a pure css photographic gallery driven by php. It also incorporates a few other technologies such as XMP meta data and XML.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at mstainsby.freehostia.com.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
    ww.example.com instead of
    www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

9HWD.com - The HD Wallpapers Network.
    FB covers

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The layout is quite nice. Regarding user accessibility you might want to make the menu clickable so that it opens images. This way if you move a mouse around you can accidently switch to another category.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the grey in the header is pretty strong. Also that the pink is a little out of place. If the gray be reduced to a lighter color and instead of pink a different color like green or maybe blue is used, it would look more fresh and easy on the eyes.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone, thanks for the comments,
    Dave Owen, AudiS2:
    I'm planning a mkII version, one change will be to do with the 'Click Image To Go Back' link. I thinking of having a button and locating it before a 'More Info' button. I could then also implement 'previous' and 'next' buttons (although this may be a distraction from the original brief of "keep it simple").
    I'm also planning on replacing the hover interaction with clickable links, mainly so that when you return from viewing an image, the folder you were looking in prevously will still be open. Cheers.

haxanstudios:
    I'm not too sure about the pink either, however that part of the title graphic is created by the php, as the user uploads their photos they can choose which ones to save title graphics from. The php then randomly selects one as it creates the page. So refreshing your browser should bring up a different one.
    I agree with you about the grey header, i've been playing with a few more ideas which look much less heavy. However at the moment the client is happy with the visuals so it'll have to wait for the new version. Cheers.

Necromancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think those are great ideas. I don't think what you've suggested will depart too much from the KISS principle.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Safari 3.0 on Mac OS, I see flickering when I move over your pictures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love photography.

I would suggest to work a bit on the logo. I like its simplicity but it seems a bit "lost". Something to make it "stick out" more.
    The sceen under the logo is too thin. Maybe increase it a bit. You wont loose much space.

The preview thingy is very nice but maybe if you increase the spacing between the thumbs it will be more natural to preview a different picture. I know it doesnt stop you from previewing but every time i do, i have a feeling that i couldnt check the ones next to it.

Overall nice design for its nature.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    Very much like the CSS-only image galleries over at css-play.co.uk, did that serve as inspiration at all?
    was this the image gallery you are referring to:
    http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/menu_gallery
    I enjoyed it also.
    I like the idea of the click to enlarge for the second enlargement better
    the photos are nice
    may want to look at
    http://flash.dvd-photo-slideshow.com...ol_effects.php
    scroll down to view sample flash (click on it)
    scroll down to cool flash from users (click on it)
    Just a thought
    hope this helps
    falcon

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your gallery is quite unique, it loads up fast and you have obviously optimised the pics for the net.

It looks very good in firefox.

There is a huge ommission however.

You have no information, that I can find on your site, about who and where you are and how to commission you, surely the whole point of showcasing your work?

Alex

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just looked at the html for the site, it's all on the one line. also, what's the 3*3 pixel background image for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    photos are nice but website theme needs to be changed
    Believe in God who loves you so much.....i am in Love
    www.ilovemoses.com
    www.torahbeliever.com
    www.iloveyoutorah.com * www.cannotstaywithoutgod.com *

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice website man

i really like the way you hover over an image and it enlarges before you have to zoom its a good bonus and im actually gonna use that idea on my website!
    azuranz
    Confucius says... man who fight with wife all day, get no piece at night

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this site. It does what a lot of photgraphy site don't...it highlights the artists work. By the way, your images are fantastic, very nice work, I enjoyed spending the time looking at them.

The logo is a bit plain, but your a photographer, to me, it's exactly what it should look like.

Great job!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexcsp View Post
    I think your gallery is quite unique, it loads up fast and you have obviously optimised the pics for the net.

It looks very good in firefox.

There is a huge ommission however.

You have no information, that I can find on your site, about who and where you are and how to commission you, surely the whole point of showcasing your work?

Alex
    You have a nice simple layout and great photos.
    I am just suggesting a small modification to your menu
    The site below has more to the menu than you probably want but you may consider a few more items.
    http://www.visionlightgallery.com/
    hope this helps
    falcon