SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting Dilemma

Say you do some Flash work for a client who is proficient in Flash.

Would you hand over the FLA file when you get paid?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not unless it was agreed in the contract before hand. I hand over finished products but in our contracts I state that any work or development done to achieve the final result remains our property. Therefore the final swf file is their property and they can do with it as they wish but the editable fla files remain our property.

If the client is proficient in Flash, and say you've done various site elements in Flash as part of a bigger website deal, there's nothing to stop that person changing a few colours and text and reselling the site any number of times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is specified in the contract then that is good. But many people would not specify it. Is it not that the client pays for your time, and therefore anything you produce is theirs unless specified?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any work i do as a freelancer this sort of thing comes under a standard Recruitment Agency contract which states any works carried out by the contractor is the exclusive property of the company worked for, however these type's of contract never go into fine details like making a distinction between source and publishable files.

As most of the Flash projects i've worked on pass between several developers (including outsourced) there seems little point in holding back the FLA even if i wasn't binded by a legal requirement not to do so.

As far as non contract work goes it's a bit of a liberty, even if i deos guarentee future work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I def agree with Appy, but from a designer/client relationship development point of view I think that in some cases I would happily hand over the editable movies in some circumstances... This is a sticky situation, esp if you have done a-lot of actionscript/original vector artwork for the movie.

Things like this need to get decided from the outset of the project, and if they are not could cause a very serious situation further down the line. I think you have highlighted an important point in Flash development for designers here, and one that will be written into my next contract (incidentally indicating that they WILL NOT recieve the editable FLA's!!)
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As my boss once stated in such a situation, "it's like asking for a recipe of a meal in a restaurant".
    I've been working for a print design company (it's a quite established type of business) and we never handed over original PS or AI files, unless it was specified specifically and for extra cash of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an article on Flashmagazine about this topic...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know where that article is I couldn't seem to find it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is a tough question...you could argue either case.

1.) It's kinda like asking the artist that painted the picture for there brushes,paint and easel.

2.) but then again if they painted my house, your darn straight I want the left over paint. So I can fix it up later if need be. And that may be the case with the .fla.

SO, you better get this is the contract if you care. Personally, I don't, If you payed for it then you can have the .fla. Of course I would keep a copy for myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicky, go to the top of the page in the middle where it says "Copyright" in bold white letters...