SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anchor Text idea

We all know that anchor text is very important when linking to your site...
    I have a question here...

Wordpress automatically converts our name as anchor text when we post comments. Is it a good idea to put "SEO BLOG" instead of "John Doe" in name field when posting a comment so that SEO BLOG would be an anchor text when comment is posted?

Thanks

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1) Most blogs use nofollow on those links so they are essentially invisible to the search engines so it really doesn't matter

2) For the websites that don't use nofollow having the anchor text contain the words you want to rank well for in the search engines is a good idea.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Most blogs use nofollow on those links so they are essentially invisible to the search engines so it really doesn't matter
    So it's useless to post comments on blogs with no-follow link right? How to check the site if it set to noffolow or not?

Thanks

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you check source of site you can see no follow or some programs check sites.

Most blogs will look at comment if it is buisness name and might delete it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidsnake View Post
    So it's useless to post comments on blogs with no-follow link right? How to check the site if it set to noffolow or not?
    If you're commenting solely for SEO purposes it's pretty useless.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea to link to anchor text for blog comment, but just only for "follow" blogs. It will be fair for both to give your valued times to comment them and they get blog updated when there are comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always just use my name "Brandon"

I've thought about commenting on sites as one of my sites, or keywords, but then it just looks like spam IMO

and like others have said, most blogs use a nofollow tag.

I use seoquake, a plugin for firefox that will show if a link is no followed.

cheers

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    If I saw a comment on my blog from "SEO Blog" I'd be deleting it as spam.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I leave comments made by people clearly posting for the link as long as their response is intelligent and on topic. If it is a generic reply it never gets approved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget the purpose of using anchor text, best to add targeted keywords and optimize the page relevant to that anchor text keyword.
    Convert your Ideas to Application
    UK Web Development | SEO Guru

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you reviewed blog comments by yourself, you will be able to pick any comment is useful and helpful to your blog. No need to use no-follow to your page. Though they will use anchor text link to their website, but you can choose them.

There are some people collect only"follow" blog to post their comments. I think it is good for them to share their valued experiences and get helpful backlinks to their websites. Many people will devote their times (= money) to add comments and share experiences to other people more and more.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a political blog and post comments on a number of other, much more popular political blogs. The SEO benefit is nil, as mentioned, because most blogs use the "nofollow" attribute. Also, I've found that I get very little traffic from blog comment posts.

For example, on a popular blog with tens-of-thousands of daily visitors, if I post a comment with my website URL I might only get two or three visitors. That's hardly worth the effort of writing the comment. But I don't make comments soley for the SEO or traffic benefits, so that doesn't deter me.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    I leave comments made by people clearly posting for the link as long as their response is intelligent and on topic. If it is a generic reply it never gets approved.
    I occasionally do, but generally not. I don't like to be used.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today, I manually submitted my site to 56 seo-friendly directories with clean reciprocal link... My plan is to do at least 10 submissions per day and to submit my site to all available free directories as along as I have time...(10 to 20 submissions daily). What do you think will be the result after 2 to 3 months? Will I get even PR1?

Thanks

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Let's say instead that it's useless to post a comment on a blog only for the purpose of getting a link.

Commenting is a way of organically improving your traffic. You say something interesting and relevant. Someone reads it and clicks your link to see if you have anything else interesting to say. Often, the blog owner will click his/her comment links if for no other reason than courtesy.

If you're commenting only to gain backlinks, IMO that's spam. I don't use the no follow but I do moderate all of my comments. When I find spam, I hit the delete.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    I occasionally do, but generally not. I don't like to be used.
    The links are so worthless anyway that I don't consider being used. Especially when their comment helps the conversation in my blog. In the end I feel I get more out of the whole thing.

Today, I manually submitted my site to 56 seo-friendly directories with clean reciprocal link... My plan is to do at least 10 submissions per day and to submit my site to all available free directories as along as I have time...(10 to 20 submissions daily). What do you think will be the result after 2 to 3 months? Will I get even PR1?
    Can't say. It depends on lots of factors. You probably will get some PR but how much is a broad guess at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, the way I see it, if over time I build up a bank of quality blog comments, when those posts rank well and get more visitors, I run a high chance of some of them clicking on my link.
    Singapore Web Designer

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also bear in mind that some blogs require you to use YOUR name, not the name of your blog, Web site, employer, business, etc... if the owner finds that you're circumventing that rule, you'll probably be blocked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw someone post on a blog something like:

I just came across this great website [keywords and link go here], blah blah
    And the link on the poster's name points to the same site. No you didn't just come across the website. It's your site.

The particular blog-owner had approved the comment. In my book it would be obvious spam.
    Singapore Web Designer

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that garbage on forums all the time, jimbo_dk. The things people will do for an extra buck (or a backlink)...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_dk View Post
    I just saw someone post on a blog something like:

And the link on the poster's name points to the same site. No you didn't just come across the website. It's your site.

The particular blog-owner had approved the comment. In my book it would be obvious spam.
    Well that's an obvious trash and I delete it immediately if I am the blog owner... I prefer posting in forums than commenting on blogs anyway...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's an obvious trash and I delete it immediately if I am the blog owner... I prefer posting in forums than commenting on blogs anyway...
    Agree as what blog commenting is nofollow I rather post it in forum than make a comment. At least forum is live always...