SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting Thought

I'm really good with SEO and a thought came to mind.

Does google or yahoo ignore html comments? <!-- Content here -->

I could probably test it out my self; just wondering if anyone has tried it yet?

- Shay
    Sr. Website Developer and Internet Marketing
    www.CarlosJa.com Note: If anyone
    needs to get ahold of me please feel free to email me through
    my site. Apparently i missed quite a few private messages.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People have been doing that since the 90's. It probably hasn't worked since the 90's too.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup, they ignore the comments all right. You should keep comments to a minimum or it'll add bulk to your website and zero content value.

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    So, how effective is the (other) Black Hat technique of 'stuffing' keywords on the page at the same color as the background?
    Do 'the big boys' have a way to properly detect that?

I, too, have wondered for quite a while. Although I am NOT "really good with SEO" {and I do not practice or condone Black Hat SEO techniques } [for the record]
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if you're 'really good at seo' and I have come to the correct conclusion after reading your post, you want to experiment by using a theoretical blackhat technique (which won't even work) to see if you can keyword stuff HTML comments to see if you get a boost in SE's? Remind me not to some to you for any SEO stuff

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Smile Invisible to Search Engines?

Redhill,
    I think you misunderstood (or misread) my post.
    Over the years I have seen this technique (or evidence of it) and always wondered if the Search Engines were able to detect the "invisible" text.
    I am only "really good" at pondering ideas and deducing results.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Leveraging SubDomains

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry ParkinT, I didn't aimed that at you, I aimed it at Shaydez; I was confused as to why he said he said was 'really god at SEO' when he was asking about whether a certain blackhat technique would work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ParkinT, not sure if they can really detect text colour and stuff. As for comments, its pretty much obvious search engines ignore it - try it if you feel like; you'll find that while the material outside the comments indexes properly the material within won't give you search value.

for example, if you have a site with 3 words, and the middle word is commented. Say like Testing < !-- SEO -- > and SES

A few days later, when that page is indexed, you can search for

"domain" SES

and you'll find the SES word highlighted in the search result, but the word SEO will not be visible (or not even there in the results). If you try

"domain" SEO

it will still not show the word SEO, in fact it may not even show your domain on top.

I've seen people trying this out. Its a great way to lose search engine ranking, too, placing keywords inside comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify; the technique that the guy 'who is really good at seo' has displayed, is blackhat- it is completely pointless and won't work.

Wherrelz- to clarify what you said; SE's can't detect text colour and 'stuff', however it's still keywod stuffing

For arguments sake, if it did, it would be keyword stuffing and anyone, yes, anyone can report your site to Google for this, and if the team at Google deem it neccessary, delete your site from the index.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redhillccwebmas View Post
    For arguments sake, if it did, it would be keyword stuffing and anyone, yes, anyone can report your site to Google for this, and if the team at Google deem it neccessary, delete your site from the index.
    Completely agree, if the OP was my competitor and they were using keyword stuffing or text the same colour as the background then I wouldn't hesitate to report them to Google.

Maybe this comes across as being bitter but I'm a strong believer that the users of a site should come first and the content that is on the page for the user should be what is read by the search engines so most other methods of skewing the search engine results is probably a black hat method and is therefore cheating and tricking the search engines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't risk trying keyword stuffing, they might help for short term gains, but google will find out and will mostly likely ban the url.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I thought search engines could detect hidden text in webpages. I am pretty sure Google can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude View Post
    I thought search engines could detect hidden text in webpages. I am pretty sure Google can.
    Possibly but it wouldn't automatically cause a ban as there are legitimate reasons for hiding text, i.e. image replacement and dropdown menu's spring to mind.

Either way, using a method that is hiding keywords could result in a ban (whether Google automatically detects it or not) so it's really not worth the risk.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    Possibly but it wouldn't automatically cause a ban as there are legitimate reasons for hiding text, i.e. image replacement and dropdown menu's spring to mind.

Either way, using a method that is hiding keywords could result in a ban (whether Google automatically detects it or not) so it's really not worth the risk.
    Image replacement and drop down menus aren't black hat techniques and, as you know, they don't involve keyword stuffing. The search engines can find text that is the same color as the background. That is black hat hidden text and it will result in your site being dropped from the index.

Since search engine algorithms have become intuitive enough to ferret out keyword stuffing techniques, most of the half-brained black hatters have stopped using them, but then of course there's always the brainless.

The bottom line is, if you can't get to number one ethically, your site shouldn't be there. Fortunately, your visitors can tell when you are trying to manipulate them. Your page doesn't have the information they put in their query, so they back out without exploring your site and without clicking your links.

If you want conversion, build sites that your visitors want to see. If you want exposure on SEs and nothing else, build your site for the search engines.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redhillccwebmas View Post
    Just to clarify; the technique that the guy 'who is really good at seo' has displayed, is blackhat- it is completely pointless and won't work.

Wherrelz- to clarify what you said; SE's can't detect text colour and 'stuff', however it's still keywod stuffing

zigackly!

Btw why would anyone do that unless they were *trying* to get their site removed from the google index is as yet unknown . But you'll see a lot about it now-a-days; google is taking keyword stuffing rather seriously after the recent incidents - hate sites coming up on top for common phrases or bad words, that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa guys!! LoL!! i don't practice black hat SEO.

Reason for the question; was becuase of copyright/content protection for example one of my clients wants to prevent his product descriptions from being copied by competitors. If you're familiar with eCommerce / Data Entry and with WYSIWYG online editor it'll copy all the HTML code from a website.

For example:

Scorpion EXO-400 Polycarbonate Full Face Helmet - Octane Silver/Dark Silver
    Advanced Polycarbonate Composite Engineered Shell: Quiet, aero-tuned design for wind-tunnel tested comfort. EPS-lined chin bar for additional protection.
    SpeedShift quick-change shield system (patent pending): Easy, secure tool-less faceshield changes in ten seconds or less.
    EverClear no-fog faceshield: Optically-correct shield with state-of-the art fog-free technology and anti-scratch hardened coating.
    KwikWick moisture-wicking helmet liner and cheek pads: Breathable, easily removable and washable.
    Ventilation system: Adjustable, indexed front and rear vents with aero-tuned rear spoiler reduce lift, create vacuum and maximize airflow through helmet.
    Breath-deflector: Enhanced fog-free performance.
    Custom liner and cheek pad kits: Available in hot colors and wild patterns.
    Snell/DOT Certified.

I copied that from a website i was thinking if it would copy the HTML Comment code too. if it does, then google would index <!-- content from www.domain.com STDKSAX34--> so you know who's stealing your content.

STDKSAX34 - would be a very unique ID you can type in google to find if anyone has stolen text.

Plus its always good to know Black Hat SEO so you know don't accidently make a mistake.

like the thread says ' interesting thought' just me thinking.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at most sites in top 10 of google they have low keyword density. I think they have around 3 to 5 &#37; and get listed high. Sometimes you see a site listed high for a while with keyword stuffed pages but sooner or later they get banned.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaydez View Post
    Whoa guys!! LoL!! i don't practice black hat SEO.

Reason for the question; was becuase of copyright/content protection for example one of my clients wants to prevent his product descriptions from being copied by competitors. If you're familiar with eCommerce / Data Entry and with WYSIWYG online editor it'll copy all the HTML code from a website.

For example:

Scorpion EXO-400 Polycarbonate Full Face Helmet - Octane Silver/Dark Silver
    Advanced Polycarbonate Composite Engineered Shell: Quiet, aero-tuned design for wind-tunnel tested comfort. EPS-lined chin bar for additional protection.
    SpeedShift quick-change shield system (patent pending): Easy, secure tool-less faceshield changes in ten seconds or less.
    EverClear no-fog faceshield: Optically-correct shield with state-of-the art fog-free technology and anti-scratch hardened coating.
    KwikWick moisture-wicking helmet liner and cheek pads: Breathable, easily removable and washable.
    Ventilation system: Adjustable, indexed front and rear vents with aero-tuned rear spoiler reduce lift, create vacuum and maximize airflow through helmet.
    Breath-deflector: Enhanced fog-free performance.
    Custom liner and cheek pad kits: Available in hot colors and wild patterns.
    Snell/DOT Certified.

I copied that from a website i was thinking if it would copy the HTML Comment code too. if it does, then google would index <!-- content from www.domain.com STDKSAX34--> so you know who's stealing your content.

STDKSAX34 - would be a very unique ID you can type in google to find if anyone has stolen text.

Plus its always good to know Black Hat SEO so you know don't accidently make a mistake.

like the thread says ' interesting thought' just me thinking.
    If all you want to do is to find stolen text, then you're better of using Copyscape.
    If there was something that put stolen text into html comments, the 'something' in between the comment marks won't appear on the page anyway... and anyone stealing the content is probably smart enough to look at the source document and remove anything that you might use to 'catch' them.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcj662 View Post
    If you look at most sites in top 10 of google they have low keyword density. I think they have around 3 to 5 % and get listed high. Sometimes you see a site listed high for a while with keyword stuffed pages but sooner or later they get banned.
    Yeah, a lot of people think Meta Keywords is going to help them. The websites with low keywords density are focusing else where for higher ranking. Those who stuff the keywords end up on page 1,203,343 or of course banned.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think more and more what you do to one page is not going to have that great of an effect. On site SEO is just one very small part of making a page or site popular with users or search engines.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they ignored it but they crawled and read all html codes...

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    The bottom line is, if you can't get to number one ethically, your site shouldn't be there. Fortunately, your visitors can tell when you are trying to manipulate them. Your page doesn't have the information they put in their query, so they back out without exploring your site and without clicking your links.
    Well put.
    It is sad that so many morons have applied these techniques to skew the results. I have longed for the days when you simply created meaningful meta-tags (exactly what the meta-tags were originally devloped to do) and be done with it.

Leveraging SubDomains

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkinT View Post
    I have longed for the days when you simply created meaningful meta-tags (exactly what the meta-tags were originally devloped to do) and be done with it.
    I know what you mean. The problem with that approach is that your page is about everything on it. Unless you duplicate the entire contents of your page in the meta tags, you will miss something out. Meta tags are a clumsy way of determining what a page is about. I was thinking that maybe you could use synonyms in your meta tags, but search engines are sophisticated enough to figure out those on their own.
    </off topic>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Completely agree, I get some visits from search engine users who have searched for things that I wouldn't have used within my keywords so it makes much more sense for search engines to base their results on the actual content than words that the designer thinks best describe the page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the comment is ignored by yahoo and google also.