SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Programming interview tests

Having had an interview today for a technical consultant role, part of the interview involved a test on programming logic.

I've got the book programming interviews but are there any other books or free internet resources that can really focus on programming logic and problem solving in relation to IT?

Some of the questions were converting roman numerals into normal figures, wriing code to count the difference between days, and so forth. If anyone here knows any tests online that are related to programming aptitude, please post here. I am currently working on the GMAT tests.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me answer the question first. If you're looking for standard logic problems, check a library or local academic institution (preferably one that has some kind of computer classes) and purchase a textbook. You'll find all sorts of weird problems to chose from to test you in said way.

Okay now then:

Some of the questions were converting roman numerals into normal figures, wriing code to count the difference between days, and so forth.
    This is one of the few things that truly annoys me ( as you'll find out after 8 pages :P ), people giving out things to "test" people's programming ability with stuff I used to have to do for my high school programming class.

If you're going to test someone's ability, it should be more related to their programming knowledge within the project. I had 2 companies contact me for interviews once, another company and the one I currently work for. The other company dealt with a web based video client. They sent me a "quiz" to do that involved parsing bible verses?!

What the heck does that have to do with web based video apps? It wasn't like, "oh we had to do this once", it was just some random problem. The company I actually work for now, what did they do? "We have a number of facilities around the world and the US, make a google maps application that shows the nearest 3 locations within a 50 mile radius and zooms them to best fit".

Now, that's something I'd expect from an actual client (and ironically enough, I ended up actually using this code later on as part of a locations project). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE parsing projects, but really, that doesn't test me at all, and I could just be joe smoe who likes odd computer problems but can't help you improve your business intelligence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sara

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chris - I agree. This is my constant gripe with tests, but some are very relevant (i.e. .Net questions in a .Net role). At least there are no questions on English - hell I won't be writing English...

ses - Thanks, that is the exact sort of thing I am looking for!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I wish I had somebody to interview. I can't even get anyone to apply