SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it help to make different keyword meta tags for different pages on a site? Or do the search engines only read the keywords of the site's index page? Would it be worth the effort?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it does.

This is especially true if you have multiple pages covering different topics.

Example:

Say your site is selling herbal products. As you well know there are multitudes of herbs and their byproducts. The bottom line here is to 'how to attract visitors to your site'. If you only use your keywords/phrases in your Index page you are actually limiting yourself in three ways.

1. Some search engines and directories actually limit the length of your keywords (# of words or # of chars.). In this situation there is no way for you to cover all Relevant Keywords/Phrases for your site. In our Herbal example site that could mean Hundreds of keywords and opportunities loss.

2. And again, search engines and directories has a mysterious way of ranking your site. Basing on my experience, more keywords actually make the page 'out of focus' compared to two to three highly focus keywords/phrases. The more your page is focus the higher it get listed. (search engines really like that idea).

3. It is also true that there are search engines and directories that would require you to submit only your Index or Home page. But, if you understand the way their software work (spiders), it index your Index or Home page and follows all the links you have in that page (ex; about, contact, order, product, and all other pages), approximately 2-3 hyperlinks deep. Here's 'the secret to attracting visitors', Each Page Is A Potential Entry Point to your site. How so? By adding highly focus and relevant keywords/phrases to each page, each page will have its own unique set of keywords thereby the opportunity of somebody finding your site during their search process.

Remember not all visitors enter through your Home or Index page. Does it matter where they enter? In my opinion, no, it does'nt matter, as long as they are in my site there's always that possibility that they will check my other pages too.

I hope this helps you out.
    The questions are tough. The answer is simple. Find someone who's done it. Learn from all his trials, tribulations and successes.
    -Web Development Tools-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good post, web42net. Welcome.

I have made meta tags for my main page and haven't really bothered to do it on all my other pages. If you plan to build a content-driven site, it could get time consuming. Search engines have still spider my subpages' main content, even though I never made separate meta tags for each page. It all depends on the situation.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say its definately worth adding the meta tags to every page IF you want the extra visitors.

Example: Our site (Kitchen and bedroom furniture) recieves more visitors directly to information pages than compared to the homepage.

Also, if you change the content of a page, don't forget to update the metatags so search engines send visitors to the most relevant page for their query.

As our pages are fairly static (the information is current for a long period of time) keeping the metatags up to date isnt a problem for us. I could see it being a problem for anyone who's pages change frequently though.