User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review My Local Search/Recommendation Site

Hi all,

A few months back I asked for a review and got some great feedback that I've incorporated into my site. I'd love another review now after the changes.

From analyzing my traffic it seems like I'm growing traffic slightly but not much in terms of users adding content or registering. I'd love for you to tell me what you think, is it inviting? Would it make you register? Do you get the value-proposition?

I'm including two links, one to the main page and the other to a 'location page', the latter is where most of my google traffic lands and based on my analysis after seeing the page they don't browse anywhere else on my site.

Thanks!

http://www.myfriendsuggests.com/
    http://www.myfriendsuggests.com/dest151.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The logo has a very "Cute" feel to it. I do thin the spacing between the "My" and "Friend" should be increased a few pixels though, it just seems very squished the way it is now. The blue in the logo area is very light, and when I first saw the page I did not like the color. It makes reading the menu items that are in white very difficult.

The navigation of the site flows very well, and the purpose is spelled out quite well. I had no question as to what the site was about or where to go for more information. You have a visible point or registration, though it suffers from the same white on light blue issue that the whole header area does. You may want to adjust the color so it stands out some more.

I like the concept of the site, and I would find it useful if I did not spend so much time at the computer

Great job so far

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Firstly it loaded really slowly for me, maybe the server but still it was slow.

I'm not mad on this design, so some feedback for you

1. The logo looks a bit low quality, particularly the speech bubble. You know when you have a cardboard product with a logo on it and its been out in the rain and its faded... kind of like that.

2. The New Suggestions bit is very cluttered and has no design thought to it.

3. I don't like the links next to the map either, they are cluttered and seem like they were thrown in there for the sakes of filling space.

4. Colours are a bit gnarly

Now for the good bits:

1. Navigation flow is good, everythings obvious and there. The site is easy to get around.

2. The content (entries) are good, but could use some work in terms of info (what are some of these things, any info on them?)

Its a decent site and could work in the its content if it were more informative about each place. Design however isn't so great.
    FIZIX - Full Service Digital Agency - Engaging websites, apps and games.
    Follow us @FIZIXAgency

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was slow to open your site.I like the design.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Nice Work

Hi,

I just checked out your site and although overall it looks and functions well, there are a few issues.

The title graphic is too heavily compressed as distortions can be seen, you should try using a gif with lowered color count. This will drastically reduce the file size and improve the image quality.

The site needs something to kinda hold it all together, although there is a color scheme it all seems a bit random.

The idea behind the site it great, I imagine it being quite useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fsa3,

Overall, I like the idea of MyFriendSuggests.com...reminds me a bit of Yelp.com.

I think the biggest problem I would have if I visited your site is the lack of content. Perhaps you should focus on one city and start to seed reviews so that there is a decent amount of content available when new visitors stop by.

The Layout is clean, but I'm not sure if u need to make the GoogleMap feature so prominently located on the website...
    CheaperDeals.net - Helping you find the Cheapest Deals

Savvy25.com - For The Young and Savvy

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

We are going to start by improving the opening page and removing the map as it is contributing to the slow speed. From there we'll look at some other suggestions as well.

We continue to try to get more content but find it hard to incent people to use the site and spend time adding items...what do you think about running a contest to get people to add their feedback about places?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The speed seemed ok to me.

I agree with you, that the map needs to go, since it takes up space and doesn't add to the site.

I like the logo. Perhaps it's just me, but it seems like the background color should be darker.
    semEsocial.com - Turn your email into an active social network