SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post learning javascript

hi, all.

I've been using Javascript for a few years, but for trivial tasks, like drop-down menus, little animation (scriptaculous), or make things appear on user interaction.

however, I've always wanted to learn it seriously. as I know HTML/CSS + enough PHP to do what I need, JS would be just what I need.

however, I tried many times, read some books, but I haven't been able to understand what the deal is. what I need is a good book. I just finished one, and while it was pretty good and updated, it simply doesn't tell you enough.

it has examples, but it just doesn't tell you how the language works.

for instance, I know there are a lot of objects one can use, and each object has some properties, e.g.
    HTML Code:
    String.lenght
    : now, are you going to add an appendix with a list of all native Javascript objects and their own properties or what?

the book didn't even mentioned clearly the use of
    Code:
    var
    , meaning that if you don't put
    Code:
    var
    in front you are indicating that variable is global.

now, not knowing that can really mess up your scripts. vars inside
    Code:
    setTimeOut
    are global? thanks for telling me!

well. my problem is that I've been learning JS on a need basis, like if I ran into a prob I'd google for a solution, and learn a little bit, etc... so, I'm pretty confused as I have prolly picked up a lot of stuff people would do in the 90's, plus with the fact that error reporting sucks...

I need a book, that if I read it I'll know everything there is to know about Javascript.

suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The beautiful world of the ECMA 262 standard. This provides the basic syntax of the javascript language, as well as a few other languages (Actionscript I wanna say..).

Other books branch off on that, but I have to say, this document helped me get into a lot of the core javascript language.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want to dive deep into the language, Javascript, The Definitive Guide, by David Flanagan would be my weapon of choice.
    It's great if you really want to know about what makes Javascript work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, Ize, I bought that one!