SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This forum has more traffic on the average day than a front-page D*gg story

It's really not a problem for anyone *not* on overcrowded, oversold shared hosting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    I mean no blogs no photo galleries etc..
    That would be disastrous.....One reason I like coming to SP is because it's not bloated.

I foresee Google, MS, and Yahoo fighting it out to acquire SP. In the end, MS buys SP and all the haters quit the forum. SP stock value goes through the ceiling, and the remaining members get stock options. Now that would be nice
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only posts were shares...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_dk View Post
    That would be disastrous.....One reason I like coming to SP is because it's not bloated.

I foresee Google, MS, and Yahoo fighting it out to acquire SP. In the end, MS buys SP and all the haters quit the forum. SP stock value goes through the ceiling, and the remaining members get stock options. Now that would be nice
    Why do you think they'll buy Sitepoint out?
    Love pets? Why not discuss virtual pets?
    Contact me on Twitter @cpvr

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think they would, and please, let's not go down that road (some people can't hold their tongues well when a certain software company's name is invoked three times as if its name was Betelgeuse) if possible.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpvr View Post
    Can the servers handle getting hit by d1gg?

better question why is the word D1gg banned? tho thats probably a good thing as that site is powered by pubescent / acne ridden young geeks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Harbottle View Post
    Do you really want to know what we're up to? Okay, but don't tell anyone. You'll see 3 major projects launched in early 2008 (or perhaps sooner):

1. Programming Reference Site

We're busy working on a reference section for sitepoint.com that will rival anything else you've seen. We currently have some of the best minds in the business cooking up reference material for CSS, JavaScript and HTML.
    Woo Hoo!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihd View Post
    better question why is the word D1gg banned? tho thats probably a good thing as that site is powered by pubescent / acne ridden young geeks
    Because any forum where members ask eachother to D1gg eachothers' stories will have its domain banned from appearing on D1gg. Meaning one bad member could eliminate the possibility of SitePoint articles ever appearing on D1gg.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink More Organized, Better Marketplace, More Trust In Transactions

Hey,

I really hope to see some improvements to the marketplace. Well okay, Lots of improvements to the marketplace.

I general I would also like to see things better organised. There is just way too much text on most pages. I don't know if everything being very neutral, dull colors helps or makes it worse.

A more active roll taken by Sitepoint staff wouldn't hurt either.

I hope to see Big things when the marketplace changes take effect. If you're gonna do it. Do it right!

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That can certainly happen. Money talks, as they say. It is the dream of every web start-up to be so huge popular that they are bought up in the end with the founders making so much money. But I don't think the big guys(Google, MS, Yahoo and others) are so stupid to do away with what has made SitePoint so successful. Their ultimate goal is to make money, therefore they don't wreck something is that is already successful.

However, as you said, most of MS haters(I suspect there are many of them here) will go away.
    ------------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of those 3, SitePoint would philosophically fit best with Yahoo! But there's no reason for any of them to be acquiring a publishing company...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If none of your'll noticed, I was just joking about saying that the big fish will acquire SP I didn't know everyone would take me so seriously. Back when SP was a web-startup they probably didn't call them web-startups. Of course they wouldn't be interested in owning yet-another webmaster community.
    Singapore Web Designer

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt it. SitePoint is very open source oriented to begin with, and there appears to be an increasingly visible Mac faction here as well. An acquisition by M$ would benefit no one. If it did happen, many of us M$ haters would indeed leave...probably enough to start a new forum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If none of your'll noticed, I was just joking about saying that the big fish will acquire SP I didn't know everyone would take me so seriously. Back when SP was a web-startup they probably didn't call them web-startups. Of course they wouldn't be interested in owning yet-another webmaster community.
    SitePoint came into being at the very end of 1999. 2000-2001 was the absolute peak of the dot-com bubble, where anyone with a fancy website could get hundreds of millions in VC investment. Web startups were all the rage, and even SitePoint was somehow in acquisition mode, picking up other webmaster communities as it grew (anyone remember the EchoWeb network?).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    SitePoint came into being at the very end of 1999. 2000-2001 was the absolute peak of the dot-com bubble, where anyone with a fancy website could get hundreds of millions in VC investment. Web startups were all the rage, and even SitePoint was somehow in acquisition mode, picking up other webmaster communities as it grew (anyone remember the EchoWeb network?).
    No, I don't remember the EchoWeb network. So, was Sitepoint the largest webmaster community in the past before others opened up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't go back that far. I found SP around 2003 I think. The VC situation seems to be the same these days, except instead of millions it's gone down to the thousands.

Over here we have some completely ridiculous web start-ups run by fresh graduates who practically live off VC.
    Singapore Web Designer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes.I like here.I will often come here at 2008

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say, sitepoint is doing a great job making the site easier to use--appealing--Fun even!!! I think there is one problem though-- Its a problem lots of people do not want to address. Each project post should have more structure in the area of prize amounts. Sure we don't wont contest holders to shy away from the site--BUT we don't want them to take advantage of the designers either. The internet is where the world is going. Sitepoint has jumped on this oppurtunity by creating a great site! Because internet is broadening market borders---Trust is going to become a huge factor eventually. Freelance work could be really valuable if sites like these make them valuable..... Lots of these contest holders know that they are getting a steal--you can hear the sympathy and disregard in the voices--especially after your design has been chosen. Logos shouldn't be lower than $160--$200 even. Contest Holders don't have to pay for our time--Thats what this proffession is about. Perhaps creating a charity and organization category will allow struggling businesses or foundations to post--But I think Sitepoint can become the new professional channel for freelance marketing, advertising, branding--and image consulting--Thats what many of us contestant do now...I would love to see Sitepoint become the freelance design spot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who thinks Sitepoint should host a massive contest next year with over $10,500 worth of prizes?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who thinks Sitepoint should host a massive contest next year with over $10,500 worth of prizes?
    There's more than 3 times that in contests available on any given day in the contests section

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's more than 3 times that in contests available on any given day in the contests section
    I don't think all that vitual money ends up in someones pocket.....many of the contests get abandoned....many don't get paid after being declared as the winner.... unless SP has a system which asks the contest holders to make a deposit it remains virtual money
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contests

I like this one. But i think if we are ever to see it grow legs then SP's team is going to begin to see itself as its members rep, and actively enlist orgs who are trying to get their heads around the interactive world (as opposed to broadcasting their content), in contests . So far as this approach to contests might grow legs, each entry would need to consist of a team, preferably from different countries, whose members would act as liasions with the local (country's) .org. They'd need to have their 'own' threads (or should we call it virtual room(s)?)

One real need (from what I can see) is the need for different languages. E.g On en.Wikipedia there were about 3.7 billion hits last month, while .jp had about 878m, so yu can imagine the increased readership should a team's liasions be composed of bi and tri lingualists.

The other thing which appears to be needed right now is a focus on real time comms. Old farts (like myself) will still prefer to reach for a (PSTN) phone rather than use something VoIP like Skype or Google talk. The idea of having a presence (messenger) is still a bit alien, especially when the comms bills are paid for by an org. Looking at that real time list of online users of this forum, we can imagine many would be talking (below the radar), and would like to conference at times. That's why unis like the Open Uni in the UK have invented tools like msg. And if Openlearners are conferencing, no doubt they would be happy to stream the conversation to others who are interested.

The unis next step will be to try and bridge the gap between the thin stuff and the fat. But I'm running ahead of myself.

Ultimately, (warning! opinion) progress seems to come down to whether SP's management see that money to support this sited point can only come from wrapping ads around the content. Or whether they see this environment as a research (and development) area into interactive narrowcasting, and aim at taking (and distributing) money, on behalf of their members, from a few Research Councils (RC) in different countries, at the same time, for the same project.

I can imagine the sell. "Dear RC, we know (as George Patterson used to say) that half of all advertising monies are wasted. If we only knew which half....... But almost all research monies are wasted, on producing duplicated white papers and reports, in different languages, which are rarely seen and hardly ever understood." Would you like to reduce your risk?

Contests = Research
    Thanks to all for their input. Could I have a few thumbs up or down?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, but what about one being hosted by the Sitepoint staff? We need some buzz around here!

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velocd View Post
    2. Do something to get dugged. I haven't seen SitePoint on the front page of D1gg or Slashdot in ages.

You can't say we didn't try...
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mickiewicz View Post
    You can't say we didn't try...
    Didn't that cause the SP servers to crash or something one time?
    Singapore Web Designer