SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sitepoint in 2008

Where do you guys see Sitepoint heading in the new year? Will we see a lot more activity - or new contests? Let's discuss Sitepoint's future and where it is heading.

Personally, I think it's going to get a lot more active.
    Love pets? Why not discuss virtual pets?
    Contact me on Twitter @cpvr

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looking at how the online list has got bigger over the past few months it looks like it could be set to stay. Something has promted old members back which is good.

For SitePoint in general, more books perhaps, plus the forums are due for an upgrade once the marketplace is completed.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expect to see Women of SP calendar 2008, which was supposed to be Women of SP calendar 2007

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383330
    Saul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    Looking at how the online list has got bigger over the past few months it looks like it could be set to stay. Something has promted old members back which is good.

For SitePoint in general, more books perhaps, plus the forums are due for an upgrade once the marketplace is completed.
    It's also set at 90 minutes, you have to remember that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpvr View Post
    It's also set at 90 minutes, you have to remember that.
    Unless it was increased lately, it still shows the growth. In 2006 I remember it being 1.5k, now it's 3k -- that says something.
    Saul

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^Indeed.

Now, about a calendar.. Cool! But to make it fair I think we need a male one too for the ladies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the times when it was twice less members online, so it's growing and it was always growing. I hope that the programming community will be also growing fast because .NET and Java forums are not very active.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah some areas are quiet. But I think it is generally driven by sitepoint book releases

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid they are outperformed by other forums, like asp.net forums, MSDN forums, Sun Java forums. Besides SitePoint lags behind a bit, for instance Silverlight 1.0 was released this summer but we still don't have any article on it.

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon
    I expect to see Women of SP calendar 2008, which was supposed to be Women of SP calendar 2007
    I'd rather not see Raffles in a thong.

Let alone Saulia

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forsee two people meeting on the forums and getting married by year's end in 2008. Or at least engaged.

(And no, this has nothing to do with the running joke between Shaun and php_daemon.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    I forsee two people meeting on the forums and getting married by year's end in 2008. Or at least engaged.

(And no, this has nothing to do with the running joke between Shaun and php_daemon.)
    Ooh, really? Who who? PM me if that's not to be discussed in public.
    Saul

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not saying - people asked for a prediction, so I gave one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I thought we had gossip *sigh*
    Saul

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps 2008 will be the year the e-mail newsletters are replaced entirely by blogs? Perhaps the year popups are finally phased out as the primary advertising format for SitePoint's own books & kits? Who knows...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Perhaps 2008 will be the year the e-mail newsletters are replaced entirely by blogs? Perhaps the year popups are finally phased out as the primary advertising format for SitePoint's own books & kits? Who knows...
    I agree - Sitepoint really needs a blog instead of the newsletters. I've never read any of the newsletters.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree - Sitepoint really needs a blog instead of the newsletters. I've never read any of the newsletters.
    I read every one of them, but it is just a habit I think to read them in the mail.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhm, SP have blogs.
    Saul

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    Perhaps 2008 will be the year the e-mail newsletters are replaced entirely by blogs?
    Quote Originally Posted by cpvr
    Really??

The newsletters were how I wound up joining in the first place.

Some years ago when I was first learning about web-design I stumbled upon some tutorial or the other on SitePoint I signed up for the newsletters then.

After reading up about all sorts of interesting new stuff (well... they were new to me at the time at least) in my mail for about a year or so, one day I decided to just dive in and create an account.

Admittedly, though, since I actually joined the forums I hardly ever read any of the newsletters apart from "Tribune", the business one.

I really should un-subscribe from the others but I never got around to it.

Last edited by Shaun(OfTheDead); Nov 2, 2007 at 19:22. Reason: Typo...

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7 years ago I read newsletters too, but not anymore. Half end up in the spam folder, the other half has nothing more interesting than what I'd get from my news reader every day. RSS is the new push communication mechanism for websites. You can subscribe to RSS feeds by e-mail if you prefer the format.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True.

Those were the pre-RSS Feed days, though.

What do you think of Pod-casts??... You think they'd really catch on?? I think they're a passing fad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will see growth in membership, but what will the % of new people post contests/jobs? That's the key. I think that they're going to Scare People Away with the high prices. The price has gone up from $25 at the beginning of the year to $39 to start a contest. No explanation why as far as I've found/heard. They're addons are overpriced in my opinion too.

1 thing I think you'll see a lot more of is Advertisement. They have virtually no ads on here except for a big banner on the header and some sponsored links. Missing on out $$$! I would rather there be ads on this site from contest holders, supporting companies, etc, than have to pay the high prices to hold contests. I would also participate in a PPC program to advertise my contest on this site. I don't care about a yellow banner - everyone has a yellow banner, i don't think it stands out.

I think there will be more sponsorship. Why Adobe and Coffee Cup don't advertise on here is beyond me.

I'm here for BUSINESS. I don't have a lot of time to fart around in the forums and be an active site member. I'd like to.. but I'm busy with work. I lurk when I have the time. I expect a certain level of professionalism, customer service, and quality from sites I do business with. [I get designs via contests] To be honest I am teetering on this site now due to the price increase.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    True.

Those were the pre-RSS Feed days, though.

What do you think of Pod-casts??... You think they'd really catch on?? I think they're a passing fad.

The only difference between a podcast and a regular radio talk show is the delivery method. I don't think the idea of audio commentary is going to go away any time soon. Just the opposite... I think as portable media devices become more popular, easier to use, and smarter, that more people and more radio shows will offer podcasts. It's the work involved in getting the latest episode from the site to your player that makes it less appealing than turning on the radio in the car... even if it's just plugging in a player into a USB port and clicking a sync button.

I know I'll be listening to podcasts a lot more in ~2 weeks when my Zune gets the firmware upgrade. Podcasts will be on the main menu of the device, and it'll always have the latest episodes synced up wirelessly and automatically. By taking away the work of plugging it in, using a podcatcher to grab the latest episodes, syncing up and disconnecting... I'll be subscribing to lots more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    I know I'll be listening to podcasts a lot more in ~2 weeks when my Zune gets the firmware upgrade. Podcasts will be on the main menu of the device, and it'll always have the latest episodes synced up wirelessly and automatically. By taking away the work of plugging it in, using a podcatcher to grab the latest episodes, syncing up and disconnecting... I'll be subscribing to lots more.
    There you go about your Zune again Dan

I'd like to see a Sitepoint podcast come out in 2008.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wish to see some contest and some game reviews may be bill gates should have an id here