SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast NewDimension's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question what to do with ''waisted'' traffic.

Hi,

Im running some PPC affiliate websites. My traffic is 100% from PPC so every click is costing me.

Once on my landing page the customer must then click to another page and either buy something or X the window.

Now i have people buying so thats OK but i also have LOTS of people clicking onto the affiliate page and then they will X window

How can i make use of these people? I don't want to put adverts on my pages as i want them to buy from me not from an advert on my page.

Is there someway of targeting these people that leave my site?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The correct work is "wasted"

You can't force a visitor to click on a link, ad or sign-up for something, make you page more appealing. Provide more reasons and resources.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssandecki View Post
    The correct work is "wasted"

You can't force a visitor to click on a link, ad or sign-up for something, make you page more appealing. Provide more reasons and resources.
    Thanks for the reply

But my landing page is fine and i have good CTR there. The problem is once the person clicks through my landing page and is on the order form some buy and some X the window.

Is it possible for me to target these people who will or have closed the window?
    For example I don't want to have AdSense showing until I'm sure the person is going to close the window?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cannot stop them from exiting their browser, thats not possible.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's not talking about "stopping" or "forcing."

NewDimension, on my site when they leave without ordering, a window pops up with a simple Help-Us-Out question. I thank them for stopping by, and then I ask why they have decided not to buy today.

Many do answer it. Then I change what needs to be changed. I change around the sell words the colors, the design, the price...all to better my odds.

Other than that, you really can't try to persuade anyone to reconsider to buy through a pop up. Even if you were to offer a discount or a free bonus gift. Once they have decided to leave, that's it.

If you were to talk to them in person, well, yeah, possibly.

All you can really do is to ask why they have decided not to buy, while at the same time asking them to put your site in their "favorites."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoon32 View Post
    He's not talking about "stopping" or "forcing."

NewDimension, on my site when they leave without ordering, a window pops up with a simple Help-Us-Out question. I thank them for stopping by, and then I ask why they have decided not to buy today.

Many do answer it. Then I change what needs to be changed. I change around the sell words the colors, the design, the price...all to better my odds.

Other than that, you really can't try to persuade anyone to reconsider to buy through a pop up. Even if you were to offer a discount or a free bonus gift. Once they have decided to leave, that's it.

If you were to talk to them in person, well, yeah, possibly.

All you can really do is to ask why they have decided not to buy, while at the same time asking them to put your site in their "favorites."
    That's more like what I'm talking about

My traffic is from AdWords and as far as i know they do not allow pop-ups on landing pages?

Would it be OK for me to have a pop-up on my order page? (not the landing page)

There not much i can change about the sales page as it is an affiliate page. Would it be possible for me to show some pop-up AdSense if the customer closes the window? That way i may still get something from the customer.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the pop-up could be on your landing page.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can not pop up adsense ads. I would make your own order page exactly like affiliate page and then have ads on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies!

But the thing is i do NOT want to show ads unless I'm 100% sure the person on my site is not going order (as an order is worth a lot more then an ad click).

I can only be sure the person is not going to order once he/she is about to close the window.

Should i have a pop-up appear once the window is closed can this display ads (other then AdSense :P)
    = + = = = =

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry if I missed it, but what is your site?

If you are selling products, like I am (I wrote two books and sell them.), then why have ads on other products, thus losing potential customers??? Unless you can have the ads open a new window???

I want my visitors to look at my site, to possibly buy my products, not someone elses!

"Should i have a pop-up appear once the window is closed can this display ads (other then AdSense :P)"

If I went to a site, poked around, and left, only to get a pop up window with ads in it, I wouldn't be too happy. I probably wouldn't go back.

Why throw even more ads at them if they don't want to buy what they saw in the first place? That's annoying!

Use it for getting info and for asking them to put you in their favorites. Or, at the very least, remember your URL. Then thank them for stopping by.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would show AdSense ads to everybody. Placing one or two ads is usually not annoying - however, popping-up an ad upon exit is.
    -yasha78
    Ad-Network reviews and useful tips:
    WebsterFlooble.com - Last Updated: CasaleMedia
    GetRichandQuick.com - Laugh your a** off, learn something useful.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try putting up other aff links that are geotargeted to the users IP. Might pick up on lost traffic.
    OurFreeStuff.net
    Offers that are free for the end user!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're selling something and maybe they have to click the order thing to find the price then they don't like the price, if you showed them the price first that wouldn't be a problem still won't make you much more money though lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK let me try and explain this again lol.

I have a landing/bridge page. Traffic comes to this page from PPC advertising so every click costs me money.

The person then needs to click a link on the landing/bridge page to b taken to the affiliate page and then they can buy something or leave the webpage. If they buy something i get a commission if they leave i have wasted the cost of the click.

So i want to try and target these people that leave after clicking through from the landing/bridge page. I only want to target them if im sure they are not going to buy, as the commission to me is worth a lot more then the person clicking an ad on my page...

Anyone understand yet?

:P
    = + = = = =

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To keep selling them after they want to leave is annoying. Period.

You cannot sell to an annoyed person!

If they are going, that's it.

Why not put in two simple things: 1. Ask them to put you in their favorites, and VERY briefly tell them why. 2. Ask them what you can do to better improve your site. Put in a box in which they can type in their comments.

Sorry, man, I feel ya on this one, but you'll just come across as a pushy salesman otherwise.