SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jQuery: Good for high traffic sites?

The jQuery library is definitely very useful for those who have development background experiences but don't have the time to learn Javascript in it's true nature. I've played with it on and off, on a few smaller sites I manage, and the outcome was truly amazing. I don't know Javascript at all, aside from the basics and I was able to create a very fun and fast UI very quickly for my visitors. I wonder though; Does the jQuery library hold up efficiency for larger sites?

I currently manage a site with over 1.6 million post, averaging around 15,000 post per day this month. With me not having the time to really learn Javascript and I don't have much of a budget to hire someone to do the work I want yet, it would seem logical to use jQuery if I already know how to use it, right? I just worry, with the growth rate for the site at it's all time high, I'm afraid that jQuery will do more bad then good.

Are there any high traffic sites successfully using jQuery that you know about? has anyone experimented with jQuery on their high traffic sites? Would it seems more sensible to hire someone to do the Javascript work?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Google Code has just transitioned to jQuery - they're obviously quite a high traffic site.

If you're able to write the scripts yourself without jQuery, and the end result is a) smaller b) as fast and c) as cross-browser friendly as jQuery, go with that. Otherwise, go with jQuery.

Incidentally, http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/ might be useful when looking at the performance of your site.
    Olly Hodgson
    thinkdrastic.net