SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is .NET the logical step?

I'm pretty well versed in HTML/XHTML and CSS. I've also been writing/maintaining/upgrading MS Access desktop business applications using Visual Basic for Applications for the last 2-3 years.

I'm trying to decide which web programming language to start learning. Do you think that .NET would be the logical one to go with? Is .NET at all similar to VBA? I do have some PHP experience, but that was in the 4.0 days before OOP.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

net

First of all I thing you have to search at jobs related with web programming at your region.This will help you.
    Maybe for a VB (VBA) programmer the next step is to learn .net generally and asp.net since .net will replace VB6 these days(not it?).
    And also to learn more about php that is also here for web programming.
    net languages are object oriented languages, I do not thing they are simiral with old VBA-the only maybe is that both are also event oriented and VB.net code is simiral to VB6, C# is very simiral to Java.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it will be a logical step. Since you worked with MS Access you will be surprises how it's easy to write a web application that interacts with your Access database and then convert this web application to a Windows application without serious modifications.

However, .NET might be a bit more difficult than VBA for you, you can still code in VisualBasic.NET, but the language differs from VBA, the syntax is same though.