SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi allenplus. I bought the domain from a third party so it wasn't available. In regards to the reviews, we are just aggregating the reviews. The extend or detail depends actually on each source.
    SmartRatings.com Expert Product Reviews and Ratings

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smartratings View Post
    Hi john5171, thanks for the feedback. I just looked for the camera you were looking for and it is there:

http://www.smartratings.com/review/p...l_cameras/1905

Probably it was just added to the live site recently.

DanielOkula.com, thank you for your comments. I know there are many players but there is a big market and all you need is a tiny fraction of the attention to build a viable business.

thanks,

Francisco
    ok, i guess i didn't notice it. Also, One more suggestion, add an option to sort the cameras that were released in the past x years or months, by their ratings.

because a camera that was released more than a year ago may be irrelevant for some people eventhough it scored a 100.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First impression: design feels very smooth and good looking. I would only replace green with blue.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    john5171, with the slider filters you can easily do this. I totally agree with you that you need to compare cameras (products) within the same time period. That is why we added the slider filters so users could select the time range they wanted. Even after selecting a time range you can sort by the other criteria, such as rating, release date or manufacturer. Try it and tell me what you think.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi AudiS2, thanks for the feedback. Many people have said that they don't like the green for the active category in the mast. I am planning on playing with different color combinations and see which one looks best. Some others have suggested blue so it is a likely candidate.

SitePoint Evangelist bradical1379's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Care to share the type of traffic you are getting with the website?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a very nice website with freshness inside. You can promote some of the products that you are selling. like making bundles and then selling for a cheaper price. You can use that eye catching symbols like stamps to attract users attention.

Your website seems to be SEO'd already so dont worry much about that.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bradical1379, I would rather not disclose traffic numbers. The site is relatively new and it had almost no promotion until recently. We are yet to implement some marketing campaigns so traffic nowadays is no representative of where it may be in a couple of months.

haxanstudios, I am glad you liked the look of the site. Probably what we do wasn't that clear to you since we actually do not sell products but provide pricing information from different merchants.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yeah.. lol. My bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That's a sweet site.

Load's super fast!
    Easy to navigate.
    Nice Layout.
    Simple.
    Easy to search.

Who are the experts reviewing the items?

Great site!
    SKILEASES.COM - FREE rental listings!
    WILDFIREBLOG.COM - Wildland Fire microblog!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I would suggest adding a background, even if it is light grey, because my first impressions about this site without reading it, just from looking at it from a distance, i thought this site was one of those expired domain default sites, u konw what i mean...,

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi buildakicker, the expert reviewing the items are just experts from the web. We are just aggregating links to reviews and summarizing ratings.

hi john5171, there are many top notch sites that use the white background and look fine (i.e. Amazon, Ebay, PriceGrabber). I like it how it is. Most people haven't complained about this.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sure, its not a big problem

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, add an option for digital cameras to view only SLR or only non-SLR types

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a small addon .. (the site looks lovely anyway)

I'd not use BETA. When I see that I read 'under construction'. That kinda makes me wanna leave and come back when you've finished ..

SitePoint Enthusiast bloggernoob's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

site looks clean and simple

the look of the site is very nice. nice clean design of the site. i think its a useful service. only thing is that you're in a competitive niche. i have a few questions. what platform is the site on, when did you set up the site, and your traffic/income from site?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

excellent nice site but...

overall it has excellent look interface. visually great site...my only comment here is the product review page.

you show the product i.e. nokia 6300 cell phone and below that is the average expert rating and after that are the reviews by different review sites. i have a problem with that.

to see the reviews of these sites, i have to open each one and go back....open another and go back...open some more then go back....

it is taking a lot of clicks just to view all the reviews.....

is there a way to just show all the reviews in one place. you can only get the extracts so it will not clutter the whole place and to view the full review, you just have to click it and the clicked link should open on another mini window so it will be easy for me to go back to the product review page.

it is a usability thing that i am talking about. make it easy for your readers to scan the products...scan the reviews....and easily go back to the product i am reviewing....

look at this site for an example. www.toptenreviews.com (but i know it is a different concept but it is easy to use).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the recent comments.

john5171, your suggestion is a great one. We had planned already to add that feature during first half of 2008. We will implement attribute based filters to each category to help users narrow down the choices.

dojo, I am the first one to say that the site is still work in progress and this is why it is still a "Beta" site. I think it is helpful enough, otherwise we wouldn't have released it. Please keep checking our site.

bloggernoob, I am glad you liked the design. You are right about this being a competitive space. There is a big market for this type of service and I think there is space for a few players within this niche.

my_addict_mind, I really appreciate your feedback since you touched on functionality in addition to the design. I agree with you that we could improve the experience a little bit more. The page that contains a link to read the actual review doesn't really add much value...yet. We have a lot of plans for improving this page with a lot of cool information. We'll include rankings and more stats. However, I think we should still try to provide an easier way for people to get where they want faster. I will study the site you mentioned to see which good practices may make sense for us too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to mainly review your design as this is what I have the greatest knowledge about.

Let me just say that its one of the best designs I've seen of late, particularly for this type of website. It's fresh, modern, clean and best of all easy to use. The 3 points explaining what you do are really great otherwise I may be a little lost, but their bold colouring makes the eye go straight to them (which is a must for this site).

Logo is great and fits nicely with the site. The domain is awesome! Be sure to hold onto it.

The web 2.0 subtle gradient look is nicely used, not being at all over the top.

The subtle grey boxes give the page structure but are light enough not to crowd it or make it too boxy.

Seriously good job!

The only suggestion that I can think of is that your slogan in the top right uses a different font from the rest of the site and looks a bit out of place. My eye initially went from the logo to the white space to it's right kind of expecting a slogan there. For me the top right corner looks too busy with icons/slogan. I would put the slogan just right of the logo and then move down the icons etc.

Great site!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi clink, thank you for the feedback. I am very happy you liked the site since, based on the site you run, it seems you have a lot of experience on this field. I think that we'll play a little bit with the logo/slogan. I agree that it makes more sense to have them closer to each other so people see the branding and the service description at once.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to let everyone know that we are giving away one Sony 40" LCD TV as part of our official launch. You can enter here to participate:

http://www.SmartRatings.com/giveaway/