User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tools for .Net Hand Code, DW, Other?

Hello,
    I've decided to start teaching myself ASP.Net. I work in a education setting and deal with A LOT of registration of students in Interest Programs. Of course being a teacher, they make us wear many hats, and I've decided to tackle this hat because it will make my life easier in the long run. I'm sure most of you could write a Conference Registration application in a day, unfortunately for me...that's only a dream.

Sorry I've rambled. My question is though, when you create pages, do most of you type out your code or use programs to help you out like Visual studio and Dreamweaver? What is common practice or industry standards? Also, do you implement other code in your work like Javascripts? What's a good language to code in VB or C#?

Sorry I have a lot of newby questions. If there's a site out you know out there I'll gladly go to it and read. I've bought ASP.Net 2.0 Anthology, but I've realised reading the book I may need a little bit mroe beginner book. Thanks for reading.

RR

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to try the Build Your Own ASP.NET 2.0 Website book, it is meant for beginners.

As for myself, I generally handcode things in visual studio. You really don't want to do ASP.NET using anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VS for Asp.Net , SMSE for SQl Express (Much better for me than VS) and Dreamweaver or Top style (lite) for CSS.

C#, VB .Net both are good. I prefer C#, never understood VB.

There is no one tool that you MUST use. You use what you are comfortable with and what you can afford . Everyone has its favourite, it's better to try out various tools.
    However, if you really want to learn properly, do try to understand the inner workings of asp.net, regardless of the tool used.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    I'm with wwb_99 on this. I handcode in Visual Studio. It makes it pretty damn easy.

And as for language, that's personal preference. I'm a VB girl myself - I can't stand all those semi-colons.

But they're pretty damn similar - if you learn one you'll be able to pick up the other pretty easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visual Studio. Actually, you can handcode even in Notepad and compile the code in command line, will this be convenient? I doubt. Dreamweaver? Does it has IntelliSense, debugger, class designer, built-in web server?

Visual Studio is a great integrated tool, I use it for many things, from MFC C++ applications to the cutting edge Silverlight scripts.

Visual Studio is the industry standard for the whole .NET, not just for ASP.NET. Visual Studio is oriented towards developers, while Expression Studio is for designers, however it still executes Visual Studio on opening .cs files with events handlers.

There is no much difference between C# and VB.NET, if you are a beginner you won't even notice those differences except syntax. Frankly speaking I would choose C#, some people cay complain about its tricky syntax, I don't find it tricky at all, it's all a matter of habbit, VB seems untidy for me, but it's just my personal habbit of dealing with C-like syntaxes.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Borozdin View Post
    Visual Studio. Actually, you can handcode even in Notepad and compile the code in command line
    Actually, to develop an ASP.NET website you don't need to compile any code at all. The webserver will perform the compilation transparently when you upload the files.

That said, I agree that Visual Studio is a great help. Intellisense really handy when using something as big as the .NET Framework. VS is also great for code snippets, syntax highlighting etc. Not to mention debugging.

With the arrival of VS2008, I'd say that VS beats DW in all respects. It somes with great support for CSS, Javascript intellisense and -debugging (seamless).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by honeymonster View Post
    Actually, to develop an ASP.NET website you don't need to compile any code at all. The webserver will perform the compilation transparently when you upload the files.
    I know . I just meant not only ASP.NET but all managed applications.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks for the Input. Looks like I'll stick with Visual Studio. Would the Free Express Version work OK? If not I'll look into getting a VS. I'm going to download VS 2008 Beta and try with that first.

For those that learned on teir own, any good books you would recommend. I've got some books on ASP, but I'm guessing that ASP is considered OLD now. ASP.Net I know is different.

Thanks again!
    Radley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some books I use:
    1. Pro Asp.Net 2.0 in C# 2005 (APress) by Matthew MacDonald and Mario Szpuszta
    2. Professional Asp.Net 2.0 - Server Control and Component Development (Wrox) by Shahram Khosravi